Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:04 (Ref:411221)   #26
formulastudent
Rookie

formulastudent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The important words

"with proper training"

the proper training for driving a long winston cup race is totally diferent to the training to drive a long sportscar race,

sportscars tend to be more relaxed to drive because rarely are you runnig side by side with someone for more than a couple of corners even if you are driving them for longer, they are also a much higher tech machine all of the controls are lighter.

I suppose an analogy here would be the difference between a long distance runner and a middle distance runner. The long distance runner has to be lean and super fit and capable of carrying on at a constant pace for a very long time without expending too much energy, a middle distance runner has to be of a more muscular build because he may have to 'dig deep' several times in a race, he still has to be super fit, but the muscle bulk allows him to vary his pace, and because of the shorter distance it is OK to expend some energy as it will help him come through faster.

Same kind of thing.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:26 (Ref:411253)   #27
Lee Roy
Rookie

Lee Roy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The important words

Quote:
Originally posted by formulastudent
sportscars tend to be more relaxed to drive because rarely are you runnig side by side with someone for more than a couple of corners even if you are driving them for longer, they are also a much higher tech machine all of the controls are lighter.
Not so sure about that. Recently heard Andy Pilgrim talking about Dale Earnhardt and the 2001 24 Hours of Daytona. Pilgrim (who co-drove with the Earnhardts) said that months before, when they first started testing to get ready for the race, Dale Earnhardt said that he thought that he and Dale Jr. would be alright just the two of them, considering that they both generally drove for 4 to 5 hours in a race. After Earnhardt's first test in the Corvette, he came back up to Pilgrim and said, "You're going to drive with us, right?". I don't think Sports cars are all that easy to drive.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:45 (Ref:411274)   #28
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Re: The important words

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Roy
Not so sure about that. Recently heard Andy Pilgrim talking about Dale Earnhardt and the 2001 24 Hours of Daytona. Pilgrim (who co-drove with the Earnhardts) said that months before, when they first started testing to get ready for the race, Dale Earnhardt said that he thought that he and Dale Jr. would be alright just the two of them, considering that they both generally drove for 4 to 5 hours in a race. After Earnhardt's first test in the Corvette, he came back up to Pilgrim and said, "You're going to drive with us, right?". I don't think Sports cars are all that easy to drive.
I kind of heard an opposite story to this. Supposedly, Earnhardt was quoted in saying that he felt that the Corvette was easier to drive and said that the differences between a stock car and a sports car weren't outstanding. Note that Earnhardt set the fastest lap in the wet of all the whole Corvette team in that Daytona 24 Hours race.

However, the Daytona 24 Hours is the toughest endurance race due to the banking and the fact that more hours of the race are run in darkness than compared to Le Mans. It would be pure hell for just two drivers to race themselves.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 23 Oct 2002 at 14:02.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:49 (Ref:411277)   #29
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by full__throttle
Whats wrong with buying a ride Joe? Its prevalent in Nascar already.
Prevalent? If so, then by whom?

Last edited by Joe Fan; 23 Oct 2002 at 14:01.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:50 (Ref:411279)   #30
formulastudent
Rookie

ahhh we have a difference of oppinion about the ype of sportscars I was thinking of, things like the audi R8 and the nissan skline GTR - it is almost impossible to drive a GTR badly, they are so stacked with electronics, steering can be done by hooking a finger in the wheel...

I can see how there would not be an appreciable difference between, say, a viper/panoz/corvette as these are all very american...

Time wll tell really
Old 24 Oct 2002, 00:41 (Ref:411784)   #31
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best analogy I've ever heard used to describe stock car racing at any form was the one DW uses to describe racing at Bristol. He compares it to trying to fly a jet fighter in a gymnasium.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 00:52 (Ref:411790)   #32
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe- Buttsnot bought his ride. Or his daddy did. Petty finally got dmart & let him go- $$ & all.

NASCAR "rent-a-ride" is being done right now with Fukuyama. Basically that is what he is doing. He is using another team, another drivers provisionals & if he got that job by his "Good driving record" I'll eat my shorts.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 01:19 (Ref:411800)   #33
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
I'll eat my shorts.
LMAO.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 02:03 (Ref:411811)   #34
Lee Roy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
Joe- Buttsnot bought his ride. Or his daddy did. Petty finally got dmart & let him go- $$ & all.
Not quite so sure that Buckshot was a buy-a-ride. Georgia-Pacific is going to be with Petty Enterprises again in 2003 and Buckshot has been gone for quite some time now. Buckshot may have been a waste of meat, bone and hair in Winston Cup, but he did spend 2 or 3 years in Busch, where he had a few wins, as well as time in lower stock car series. All-Pro, I think.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 02:09 (Ref:411816)   #35
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
RaceFanStan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daddy's money was reported to be a factor in launching Buckshot's career.
I don't remember who said it but I like the name "Buckshot" too.
LOL
Old 24 Oct 2002, 03:55 (Ref:411841)   #36
Joe Fan
Veteran

Lee Roy is right. Buckshot didn't buy the Petty ride but his father's money is what helped launch his rookie season in Cup the previous year. However, it was underfunded and I don't remember him making a whole lot of races.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 12:15 (Ref:412067)   #37
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Not sure about Buckshot's 2nd win in Busch (he has two) but his first win was at Milwaukee & was due to "Derrike Cope Syndrome." He was in 2nd & the leader spun out (Dick Trickle). The track was repaved that year & there was only one groove & Dick got a tad too high & lost it in the marbles. Of course DC got his Daytona 500 win because of Earnhardt cutting a tire.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 12:22 (Ref:412072)   #38
Lee Roy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars
Not sure about Buckshot's 2nd win in Busch (he has two) but his first win was at Milwaukee & was due to "Derrike Cope Syndrome." He was in 2nd & the leader spun out (Dick Trickle). The track was repaved that year & there was only one groove & Dick got a tad too high & lost it in the marbles. Of course DC got his Daytona 500 win because of Earnhardt cutting a tire.
Many wins are as a result of being in the right place at the right time. Luck has sometimes been defined as when preperation meets opportunity.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 17:10 (Ref:412382)   #39
formulastudent
Rookie

Buying rides

Buying rides is annoying for the fans, but necessary for the teams... they need the money, fortunatley the sponsors need to see results, if they don't get results the driver will be booted, unless he brings more personal money to the team than the major sponsor - which is unlikely!

Money can buy you a seat, but it won't keep you there for long if you can't drive.

BTW I don't think Fukuyama has really bought himself a ride, he may be there as a novelty though.

Maybe we should start a 'buying a ride gripe' thread??
Old 24 Oct 2002, 18:04 (Ref:412448)   #40
Burnsieold
Rookie

Burnsieold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have a problem with ride buying. My favorite open wheel driver is a ride buyer. And even in that market talent comes into play. He's not THAT good and even with all his family money behind him, he still was rideless this year.

Buckshot's dad owned the first WC team that he drove for. Wasn't that sponsored by GP too? I know when Bucky left everyone assumed that GP would be gone also. Didn't Kyle even issue a statement saying that he had "convinced" GP to stay? Like they were thinking about leaving? What's his connection with GP? And isn't Sadler also considered a buyer too? Wasn't he walking around with sponsorship, looking for a team that would take him? I know it's more prevalent in BGN but there is some in WC too.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 18:34 (Ref:412484)   #41
Lee Roy
Rookie

I think it depends on how you define "ride-buyer".

Examples of different types:

A driver who uses personal wealth to purchase a ride. This is the most blatant and most disliked.

A drive who gets sponsorship or a ride because of his nationality. You see this a lot in CART. To get a ride on the Players Forsythe team, you must be Canadian. Non-Canadians need not apply. Or would Tecate sponsor any other driver but a Mexican driver like Adrian Fernandez. This isn't so bad, but still not what most of us want to see. I think this is what bothers most people about Georgia native Buckshot Jones getting the Georgia-Pacific sponsorship.

Another type of ride buyer could be a driver that has attraced a personal sponsor due to his or her ability to drive and also to be an effective spokesperson for the sponsor. In NASCAR, a situation like this isn't so bad because most teams are able to secure sponsorhip on their own, so they need not hire these types of drivers unless they feel comfortable with their driving ability.

Last edited by Lee Roy; 24 Oct 2002 at 18:37.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 22:22 (Ref:412701)   #42
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
Buckshot's family funded car was the 00 with Auqafresh for a sponsor
(same as the Busch car I think).

Last edited by Stan_MarlinMan; 24 Oct 2002 at 22:23.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 00:00 (Ref:412785)   #43
Roselady3
Veteran

If I remember correctly- The reason that Petty snapped up Buttsnot- was because he brought in a sponsor with him & they desperatly needed the bucks. I belive it was rumored that his daddy had the sponsorship deal all set up & that before Petty released him- he had to convince the sponsor to stay with him. It was a big deal when Petty signed Buttsnot. Everybody was saying that he got the job- because of his daddy.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 00:59 (Ref:412801)   #44
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
I have read that Buckshot will return in 2003

Watch for "The Return of Buckshot"
coming to a racetrack near you
lmao
Old 25 Oct 2002, 02:41 (Ref:412829)   #45
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Hopefully they have the soft walls implemented at all the tracks by next season.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 12:08 (Ref:413085)   #46
Roselady3
Veteran

But will they have soft helmets? Seems to me- I can remember him throwing his helmet at a few cars/drivers when he thought they done him wrong.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:04 (Ref:413160)   #47
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Bucko needs a larger helmet...the one he has seems to be too tight, it cuts off the blood flow to his brain when he's on the racetrack!!!!
Old 25 Oct 2002, 14:20 (Ref:413243)   #48
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
Bye-Bye Buckshot

There was once a driver named Buckshot,
who didn’t race so hot.
He did things wrong,
and didn’t last too long.
He vowed he would come back,
but a ride is what he does lack !

Will anyone give Buckshot a ride ???
Or will he stay in the shadows ???

I think Anne Robinson needs to talk to Buckshot,
“Buckshot, you are the Weakest Link, Good-Bye !”
LMAO
Old 25 Oct 2002, 19:00 (Ref:413529)   #49
Burnsieold
Rookie

Burnsieold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember correctly, I thought I read somewhere that Mikey had him testing his WC car somehwere. I just have a strange feeling you might see Buckshot back with Petty.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 23:22 (Ref:413726)   #50
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Buckshot is actually going to try to qualify tonight for this Sunday's Napa 500...weather permitting.