Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:17 (Ref:438839)   #26
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fogelhund, are you sure about that? I thought the S7R was allowed a 7 liter in 2002 and the new engine cap at 366 cu. in. was new for 2003.

Bob
Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:19 (Ref:438842)   #27
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Bob - The rules for 2003 have been out and published for some time, and have not changed for 2003 since I first saw them in early 02'. That is all I was saying. I made no comment or reference to the 2002 rules.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:25 (Ref:438849)   #28
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Bob - that's right the change is in engine capacity - A Saleen or for that matter a Viper can enter in GTS but they must have a 366ci (6 litre) engine. Seems a big investment for what will be an unproven configuration for just one race (as the bigger GTS teams, particularly the european teams, will surely not be doing any further Grand-Am races)
Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:38 (Ref:438861)   #29
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
nor does it have a chance with the GT1 Porsche.
What GT1 Porsche.
If you are thinking of the Gunnar G99, that'll have a 3.6 N/A GT3 engine.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:46 (Ref:438870)   #30
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Bytzeks for example.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:49 (Ref:438871)   #31
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eligible?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 18:13 (Ref:438883)   #32
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Eligible?
Yes!
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:03 (Ref:438919)   #33
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
You are right, it is. I thought it wasn't but the rules say it is an "approved unibody car". My mistake.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:09 (Ref:438921)   #34
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
No problems, the rules are 'interesting', if nothing else.

Don't bother trying to understand the rationale though.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:18 (Ref:438926)   #35
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Would anyone go through the trouble of modifying a 6 year old collectible, though.
(be it a Porsche or a Lotus...)
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:25 (Ref:438935)   #36
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
BMS - Bytzek has three of them. They race them in the Canada Challenge GT series... well one of them last year, two in the past. The CCGT car is well modified beyond what the car originally was.

As far as modifying it, well the car has met all regulations the past two years and run, and I don't think anything has changed for them, so there is no trouble. It qualified close to the factory C5R in 01'.

I don't know if they changed the allowable boost for 03', perhaps, perhaps not, I didn't memorize the rules beyond knowing which engines were allowed. Change of boost isn't a big deal at all.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:30 (Ref:438942)   #37
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
New "standard issue" wing. What will that do to an existing car's aero?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:41 (Ref:438956)   #38
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Got me??
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:46 (Ref:438962)   #39
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Every GTS car has to have this "approved" Fabcar rear wing, no? Says so in the regs.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:56 (Ref:438975)   #40
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Good eye, ok, you can forget any ACO spec cars coming.. .that much is done.

3-4 Rear Wing - A single-element Grand American spec rear wing is required. A maximum 0.75-inch wicker and 12-inch long X six-inch high maximum endplates is allowed. The end plates must lay on a single plane (flat) in front view. The exclusive spec wing supplier is Crawford Composites. Contact Crawford Composites, 3501 Denver Drive, Denver, NC 28037, (704) 483-8726.

3-4.1 Endplates must be at least two inches from the body and the wing mounts must be at least 12 inches in from each end.

3-4.2 Complete wing/endplates height must be a minimum of two inches below the roof.

3-4.3 The complete wing must not exceed the perimeter of the bodywork when viewed from above. Maximum allowed width is 72 inches.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 20:02 (Ref:438983)   #41
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
I posted at GrandAm to get an answer from Roger to see if these are new regulations, or have been in place for awhile. If new, well, Saleen or Porsche GT1 at Daytona is likely a dead issue. Who is going to run at a place like Daytona unless they do plenty of testing with a new wing.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 20:06 (Ref:438985)   #42
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I guess anyone who is able to get pay drivers who will stump up enough to pay for all the mods required and who don't want to win!!
Old 28 Nov 2002, 20:08 (Ref:438988)   #43
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Which part of these regs isn't new - initially, it was "no turbos" iirc, then it was an 6l engine size limit for all GTS cars, now I see there are different rules for the 4valve tubeframers... (and they still have to be carburetted, I'm sure the concept of fuel injection can be trusted by now ).
Old 28 Nov 2002, 20:13 (Ref:438995)   #44
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
I guess anyone who is able to get pay drivers who will stump up enough to pay for all the mods required and who don't want to win!!
Oh gee, where can I sign up...
Old 28 Nov 2002, 20:31 (Ref:439002)   #45
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fogelhund, I think the same applys to SRPI and SRPII regarding the wing. If so, along with the fuel capacity change, the SRPII have effectively been nuetered as well as the SRP1s.

Bob
Old 29 Nov 2002, 13:36 (Ref:439400)   #46
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Would this wing ding not become a bit of a safety issue now? I mean these things have been designed, tested and sorted with all parts working as one. A new standard wing would likely throw the car completely out of balance, and make it fairly unstable on the banks. Is that something anyone wants?
Old 29 Nov 2002, 23:39 (Ref:439721)   #47
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Would this wing ding not become a bit of a safety issue now?
For the new DSPs, no. For existing cars, ceretainly.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 00:12 (Ref:439746)   #48
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
For the new DSPs, no. For existing cars, ceretainly.
I was of course referring to the existing cars.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 00:15 (Ref:439749)   #49
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
And I was of course trying to type "certainly".
Old 5 Dec 2002, 13:44 (Ref:443295)   #50
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
And I was of course wrong thinking noone would bother building a special Saleen 6l engine for Daytona - they will!