Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Jan 2003, 00:28 (Ref:490054)   #26
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let us not scream "LOSER!" at someone before he has turned a single wheel. I recall hearing a lot of people screaming "LOSER!" when Montoya took Zanardi's place at TCG, and also "Never heard of him!" and "Fire him and hire an American!" He proved to be the greatest thing since Jacques left town, and within six months he was everybody's darling.

Not saying Lemaire will be another Montoya, but it's not fair to call him a loser before you have seen him race.

The only thing that is standing in the way of Memo Gidley getting a drive is that he has insufficient talent. And no money. You have to have one or the other. Fortunately you can go out and get money. Unfortunately you can't go out and get talent.

Last edited by Liz; 30 Jan 2003 at 00:28.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 00:46 (Ref:490070)   #27
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's something I don't get... Where are all the guys with money and talent?!! Wouldn't it make sense for a sponsor to put thier money behind a guy who can actually drive a race car. Why is it all the guys with money are so slow? Can anyone remember a guy that came with sponsorship who was fast enough to compete at the top? I can't remember one. Why can't a company with a lot of money to give away get behind a driver who could be a champion? Wouldn't that make a hell of a lot more sense?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 02:25 (Ref:490127)   #28
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Companies with money generally don't know anything about racing. The best example I can cite is the former CEO of Ford Motor Company who inquired in great honest surprise, "Who the hell is this Edmund Irvine that's making more money than I am?"
Old 30 Jan 2003, 02:36 (Ref:490135)   #29
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Let us not scream "LOSER!" at someone before he has turned a single wheel. I recall hearing a lot of people screaming "LOSER!" when Montoya took Zanardi's place at TCG, and also "Never heard of him!" and "Fire him and hire an American!" He proved to be the greatest thing since Jacques left town, and within six months he was everybody's darling.

Not saying Lemaire will be another Montoya, but it's not fair to call him a loser before you have seen him race.

The only thing that is standing in the way of Memo Gidley getting a drive is that he has insufficient talent. And no money. You have to have one or the other. Fortunately you can go out and get money. Unfortunately you can't go out and get talent.
I have seen him race. Ive seen Montoya race too. I can say which is a hero and which is a zero. I understand your point a lot of people are making judgements on drivers they know nothing about, but trust me I probably follow more junior level racing than I follow professional racing. I wouldnt let Lemarie drive me to the airport.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 03:00 (Ref:490145)   #30
The Other Chris
Rookie

The Other Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who was the guy that helped develop the Williams Renaults? i only recall jpm the last year (97). Who did bar have testing for them before lamarie?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 03:01 (Ref:490147)   #31
Russfeld
Veteran

Jean Christophe Boullion
Old 30 Jan 2003, 03:34 (Ref:490162)   #32
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're opinion's noted Russfeld, and I agree his record is less than impressive. But, I'll reserve judgement until I see him race. You never know, there have been cases of drivers who excel when they reach at a certain level with certain machinery.

We'll see....
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Jan 2003, 03:36 (Ref:490163)   #33
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by evo
Here's something I don't get... Where are all the guys with money and talent?!! Wouldn't it make sense for a sponsor to put thier money behind a guy who can actually drive a race car. Why is it all the guys with money are so slow? Can anyone remember a guy that came with sponsorship who was fast enough to compete at the top? I can't remember one. Why can't a company with a lot of money to give away get behind a driver who could be a champion? Wouldn't that make a hell of a lot more sense?
Because the guys with talent are out racing anything they can lay their hands on, while the playboys are ****ing away time that should be spent behind the wheel skiing and dating models?

Because the wealthy have shallow gene pools?

Maybe it's just the natural balance of things. Because if there was a driver with money _and_ talent, he'd probably dominate the world.

Oh, yeah. Senna.

Red Bull has Paul Edwards signed up, and Paul's probably the best driver the US has produced decades. Whether they actually get him into a decent F1 seat remains to be seen! With all his F3 experience, he _should_ have been placed in the second Jordan this year!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 30 Jan 2003 at 03:38.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 05:12 (Ref:490190)   #34
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz,

OK, my disagreement with that "lulu" statement about Memo Gidley is somewhat clarified with your last post. If you had simply said outright that you think Memo lacks the talent to earn a ride, and therefore must bring a briefcase, then I would not complain. It would also be easier not to be upset with you should you apply such nasty quips like that to your Canadians and other drivers, and not just to Americans.

In 2004, when Player's is gone, we shall see if you are singing the same tune. We shall see if Paul "I live in the low tax US State of Nevada" Tracy has to say about sacrificing to race in CART, when instead of getting $5 M to do so, he is asked instead -like his Las Vegas neighbor Jimmy Vasser- to "invest" in a team for a ride. Will he be a firebrand or will he talk like Max Papis?

As for bashing Patrick Lemarié, I agree with you, this guy has yet turn a wheel. I doubt he'll be competing three seconds a lap apart from the pack like Camathais and Heberfeld. PK Racing should be a damn sight better than DCR, Conquest or DWR.

But at the same token you should recognize that the complaints about Lemarié are really directed at Chris Pook and CART for yet again turning their backs on their American fans - by your own admission 75% of the fanbase. You cannot dis your largest fanbase and expect them to stay loyal or happy. To make straw man arguments that these Americans are exclusionists - thus xenophobes - is to falsely represent them and their concerns, so that you can avoid addressing a difficult issue seriously. Consider that thsi is the true root of discontent with Lemarié being hired with in effect CART cash. If you are going to hire a mediocre midpacker, then why not an American like the afore mentioned Gidley. He delivers the same mediocre performance, but is a local, and hence a fan favorite.

Last edited by sgw2; 30 Jan 2003 at 05:16.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 06:09 (Ref:490207)   #35
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll give him a chance before I start rubbishing or lauding him.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 06:50 (Ref:490241)   #36
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not heard of this guy before, but I am by no means any kind of expert. I'll give him a few races before I make up my mind on him. There a several drivers that are unknown to me racing this season. There really only a few that I have a handle on. I just wish the damn season would hurry up and start.

Old 30 Jan 2003, 12:10 (Ref:490479)   #37
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiresmoke
Very valued by Villenueve.
Yeah, as a skiing partner.

I too will not criticise him before he's had a real go, but I'd be mighty surprised if he turns out to be any good.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 12:40 (Ref:490508)   #38
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly Craig Pollock has ignored all reasonable evidence about which drivers can do a good job, and gone for a comparative no-hoper who he happens to know. The guy doesn't even bring any significant sponsorship to the team. We'll all soon be calling Patrick Lame-Marie, mark my words.

Salo or Irvine would've been much better choices, as both bring experience, proven skill and name recognotion. Craig Pollock shouldn't be content to enter a major series and just toodle around at the back, occasionally inconveniencing the leaders.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 12:46 (Ref:490516)   #39
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll reserve judgement on Lemarie 'til I see his CART performances, but I just remembered that he was team-mate to Cristiano da Matta at Pacific Racing in International F3000 in 1996. And da Matta outqualified him in every single race (both were rookies).

'96 results -
http://dizzy1000.tripod.com/1996.htm
Old 30 Jan 2003, 18:35 (Ref:490886)   #40
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pollock? Lemarie? It's related to Villeneuve, let's criticise it..!

--------

The only time I've seen Lemarie race was in a kart event. He was second behind Salo and ahead of Franchitti. So I'm not yet calling him a hero or a zero.

BTW, I had never heard that Bouillon was a BAR test driver. Pictures and infos from the time, please?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 19:29 (Ref:490921)   #41
Russfeld
Veteran

he wasnt much of a tester becuase they sacked him at JV's request
Old 30 Jan 2003, 19:36 (Ref:490926)   #42
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lemaire isn't even getting the ride because he is bringing any money or talent. He is only getting it because his buddy the Idiot Ski Instructor wants to give him a new toy to chew on. If that isn't a sign for racing drivers with talent to quit, I don't what is.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 22:14 (Ref:491079)   #43
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But did he actually drive a BAR, Russfeld?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 22:24 (Ref:491084)   #44
Russfeld
Veteran

one or two days at least, in the Tyrrell in 98 I think post season on BAR's behalf
Old 31 Jan 2003, 00:05 (Ref:491173)   #45
Liz
Veteran

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could hold a gun on privately funded individual team owners and force them to hire our friends instead of their own!
Old 31 Jan 2003, 00:13 (Ref:491177)   #46
Russfeld
Veteran

Well its just a joke operation then, they obviously have no intention of running competitively.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 01:50 (Ref:491261)   #47
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like half the F1 teams .
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 31 Jan 2003, 03:19 (Ref:491318)   #48
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to admit after his first two races I didn't hold much stock in JPM. Nazareth blew me away.

Lemaire should get the benifit of the doubt for atleast a half dozen races. You have to assume Pollok wouldn't submarine his new CART team with incompetance. However, the '96 F3000 results are pretty damning. Any one have any test times comparing Lemaire to his BAR team mates?
Old 31 Jan 2003, 13:40 (Ref:491823)   #49
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't Understand this Villeneuve, Lemaire bashing. Pollock maybe, he cocked up BAR.

This is just driver bashing because Villeneuve aint winning races anymore.

Might aswell start a Gilles Villeneuve bashing thread.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 14:19 (Ref:491861)   #50
Russfeld
Veteran

The JV bashing is because he puts his personal wants above the needs of the team, ie asking for a seasoned test driver to be replaced by a friend of his who isnt qualified.