Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:36 (Ref:515446)   #26
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario drove a great race.

He showed he has great talent and will be a star in the future.

Why knock good things?
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:49 (Ref:515457)   #27
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blockerfled needs to talk to his crew because obviously they screwed by setting up the car to drift across the track every a faster car approached. Funny thing is he drove like a p*ssy in F3000 last year.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:58 (Ref:515464)   #28
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
yes. we race like grown ups back here in europe. instead of waving politely when someone goes to make an overtaking move we challenge them...
Racing like a grown-up is trying to force someone clean off the track, nearly causing a potentially fatal collision if Bruno had gotten on the brakes a moment later than he did? That's not racing like an grown-up, it's racing with your head wedged up your arse!

He's wreckless, and if this is how drivers are taught to race on that side of the pond, no wonder they're a bunch of self-important pricks who think their fans are beneath contempt!

Nobody's asking to be waved past... But you don't try and drive someone off the track when they've got a run on you!

Like I said, this is what happens because no one punished that prick Schumacher for his BS moves on Hakkinen and Hill! Now it's become acceptable to use every under-handed trick available to you, to win at any cost!

Well, if that's the way it's to be, put them in touring cars and we'll knock 'em silly.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 23 Feb 2003 at 23:02.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 23:17 (Ref:515481)   #29
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he was perfect. He made one move. Yah it was hard, but it was also fair. He left Bruno enough room to make hte pass, which he did on both occasions.

Its called racing. People complain about 'blocking' then complain there's not enough action. Which is more exciting, the near missin turn 1 or Bruno drafting past him on the main straight? I know which one would have made the highlight reel...

Please CART, dont clamp down on Mario. If you want to be a world class series, make the guys fight. This isnt a car show.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 23:21 (Ref:515488)   #30
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Three moves Russ, three. Watch the race.

He was driving like a rank amateur. If CART doesn't penalize him, then the Newman-Haas crew needs to find him and pound some sense into him. Someone'll get killed if this sort of thing keeps up.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 23:27 (Ref:515493)   #31
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay guys, cool it with the insults. This is starting to look the F1 forum....

Russfeld, that one very long move...to me it was more like 6 moves strung together, but that was boarderline.. did you see the move Haberfeld made on Junqueira later where he really did force Bruno to the wall? Or where he made a mistake and swerved to block the path of Monteiro, who was at full speed and had to break to avoid an accident? It's the three times more than anything else for me. Once ok, but three times in one race?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Feb 2003, 00:01 (Ref:515519)   #32
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about MS on JV?

To be perfectly honest, I have not been impressed with the lengths Mr. Montoya will go to prevent being passed in F1. I understand why it happens, the stakes are so high in F1 and it is demanded of you. You get one shot period and it's no longer a sport of fun it's a business. Never the less, we don't want that cr@p in CART.

BTW: What's with the f*cking autosensor? Are we in grade school here?

Last edited by Snrub; 24 Feb 2003 at 00:02.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 01:20 (Ref:515563)   #33
Russfeld
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Three moves Russ, three. Watch the race.

I counted one move each time. You cant count every incident together and scream that he's weaving. What he did was personally within the bounds of proper road racing imo.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 02:03 (Ref:515578)   #34
jklein6419
Racer

United States
florida
jklein6419 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he's exacly what cart needs, a young aggresive driver to make the racing great, adding a sense of danger by almost touching wheels makes you stand on your feet. you see that and you want to see what will happen the next race. especially if your just flipping through stations and you see that. that type of racing attracts more fans
Old 24 Feb 2003, 02:51 (Ref:515606)   #35
Lee Janotta
Veteran

No one's going to be watching for long if he pulls that at Rockingham or Fontana and kills somebody.

What he did isn't racing. It's using the threat of a dangerous collision to get his way. It's not cool and it's not mature. I pray he gets his without anyone else getting hurt in the process.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 24 Feb 2003 at 02:53.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:02 (Ref:515615)   #36
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heck, TGF does this in every race, and his worshipper Bunsen says the only thing wrong with ramming people off the track and into the Gulf of Mexico is when it doesn't work!

I expect someone will talk to Haberfeld about paying a little more attention, much as they frequently do to Paul Tracy. If he continues to behave like Mr. Bell did last year, I expect Bruno will pat him on the head with a wrench.

Personally I like him, but I think he is a bit erratic.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:07 (Ref:515618)   #37
Russfeld
Veteran

It was perfectly executed. He tetsed Bruno's comittment and when he realised Bruno was going to go all the way left him enough room to pass.Thats how the Euros do road racing, and thats why they beat up on our boys.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:16 (Ref:515625)   #38
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Oh, that's bull and you know it Russ! The only reason Bruno and Jourdain didn't have a massive collision was a lot of luck!

He compromises his own line to keep the guy behind him back there, and costs them _both_ time on the leaders!

Hasn't this fool ever heard of an inside-out re-pass? You hold your line, brake a little early, get a tighter exit line than the other guy, _then_ you cut him off!!!

I knew this was going to happen... The Schumi-ites have completely erased the principle of sportsmanship. It's a sad day for motorsport.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 24 Feb 2003 at 03:21.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:34 (Ref:515639)   #39
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ummm...If everyone blocked there that there wouldn't be much passing. The dirtiest Nascar driver isn't as bad as Mario was today.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:38 (Ref:515641)   #40
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Just looking at the replays on cart.com, Haberfeld made a beeline coming out of the last turn for the right side of the track and had Junqueira all the way off the racetrack and onto the shoulder of the runway...that's not right.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:40 (Ref:515644)   #41
Russfeld
Veteran

Except in both cases Mario blocked Bruno, Bruno got by in an incredible pass. Whats the problem? The Jourdain incident would have been cuased by both of them outbraking each other, not that they were down the inside.

it was stupid to hear Bruno complain, he raced like that before he got to CART.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:48 (Ref:515650)   #42
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
It's kind of a conflict of interest.. it is exciting.. but potentially deadly.

And I think everyone agrees Bruno complains to much. Except for Bruno, he complains about that reputation.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 15:13 (Ref:516081)   #43
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Haberfeld has to also remember that a ChampCar race isn't a sprint race (at least not one like he's used to), and that races aren't won in the opening laps. Another thing that I have learned from karting that can be directly applied to his situation; is that when you are hunting or being hunted in a pack like he and Junqueria were, is that there are a lot of other hunters too. Case in point: Junqueria may have eventually gained the position on Haberfeld but in the process he also lost a position to a following car; Haberfeld not only lost out to Junqueria he lost two other positions to following cars. He's obviously a quick driver in a relatively quick car, he just needs to be a little more aware of what else is happening around him. But I know, Racing Helmets are like blinders on a racehorse, you sometimes can only see your present position and not the big picture. Personally I'm willing to forgive him, to quote Bourdais "I'm aggressive, I'm a racing driver".
Keep racing hard Mario!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Feb 2003, 15:25 (Ref:516092)   #44
xbook
Rookie

xbook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way to go Mario!!!

The end of the 1st lap of the season, and we got our first heart-stopping incident. Yeah!! I missed the other two "problems" Mario cuased, so I can't comment on those. But, I am glad to be seeing racers doing just that, RACING!

Can't wait for Monterrey...

xBook
Old 24 Feb 2003, 16:00 (Ref:516118)   #45
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
It would also be exciting if he turned around and drove the wrong way on the track. He could play chicken with the oncomming cars. I'd watch.

Look at all the silly accidents PT has been involved in over the years. They were mostly his fault and he was being reckless and/or stupid. (On Dario @ Houston) Those were all far better than what Mario did.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 16:02 (Ref:516120)   #46
Extra Rib
Rookie

Extra Rib should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does Mario have to do - he races in Europe and he's criticised by a number of people for not being enough of a racer. He races hard and that's not good enough. Surely if his racemanship was in such question the stewards would be talking to him or he would have been black flagged during the race.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 17:31 (Ref:516196)   #47
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just watched the replay several times, and Mario moved over soon after rounding the corner, and continued to do so, presumably to block Bruno's momentum, which must have worked, otherwise he would have cruised by on the left, and you will notice that Bruno was never alongside, but had the room, until he attempted to outbrake Mario far too late into the corner for both of them, almost taking out Jourdain, which is why everyone seems to be p.o.'d about it....but you could blame them both for it, and if Jourdain hadn't been there, you'd be calling it great stuff. The stewards should have warned them both. Haberfeld is not the only one you could yell at for blocking, look what Bourdais did on his way to the pits with that left rear tire problem.

Anyway, everyone will settle down a bit now, I'm sure.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 19:28 (Ref:516385)   #48
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's give the rookies 1/4 of the season to prove themselves (5 races) before we go nuts on them. Then we will see which rookies are learning from their mistakes and the other ones that continue to make them.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 19:45 (Ref:516414)   #49
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was pretty impressed with Haberfeld. Sure, his moves were somewhat unfortunate, but it was in a racingsituation. In the first lap, both were charging for the corner. That's racing. I don't see why Bruno should've gotten right of way and I'm glad Haberfeld didn't give it to him. That would be just a tad too weak.

If we want to talk about blocking, how about Bourdais swerving across Fernandez with a flat left-rear? Now, there was something to get worked up over (as Adrian obviously did).

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 24 Feb 2003 at 19:46.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 20:34 (Ref:516454)   #50
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Bourdais did to Fernandez was wrong, but it happened at the horse shoe (last 2 corners) when they were going about... I don't no, 35 to 65 MPH! Unlike Haberfeld's blocking?....on Bruno J. at 170 to 190 MPH! Very dangerous!!! Remember guys, these are open wheel race cars....not stock cars. I love hard racing...trying to pass and trying to defend you position...but when you're driving open wheel race cars, you have to use your head more. Remeber Gilles Villeneuve, Jeff Krosnoff (Toronto 96) and a countless number of other drivers who have died or who have been badly injured in the past from wheel to wheel contact.