Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2003, 16:47 (Ref:545431)   #26
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a patented design, so the one company is the only that can legally produce it. The lead time on that is very wrong, especially when you control the entire market for a device like that.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 17:18 (Ref:545457)   #27
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard some of the teams are 'tailoring' them to their guys.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 18:57 (Ref:545559)   #28
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon the HANS system is a disaster in waiting. The drivers hate it, it hasn't been popular with the teams and I reckon it's a bit pointless considering Formula One is so safe anyway. They should get rid of it ASAP IMO.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 06:45 (Ref:546028)   #29
RaceCarFanatic
Rookie

RaceCarFanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason the Hans affects some drivers and not others. Is the way it sits on the collar bone of some drivers and rubs againest them. Rubens, Jacques, and Nick all have that same problem. Rubens also complained about how it aggravated his hernia in his back. That's why he didn't wear the Hans in the race.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 12:52 (Ref:546301)   #30
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me it's gotta be either all have to wear them or it's your choice. You can't have a rule which people then appeal their way out of. How many others would have liked to have ditched them on Sunday?

I can't believe this won't get sorted before the next race.

Oh while we are talking about driver discomfort - apparantly Jense reckons he has had to cope with a severe pain in the arse for much of this season.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 24 Mar 2003 at 12:53.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:33 (Ref:546345)   #31
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daily mail (not bought by me, I'll add!) said that it took 8 mins to get Wilson out of the car - I had a feeling the 40 mins as stated by someone earlier in this thread was a little exaggerated!!!!
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:36 (Ref:546348)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sporting Life says the same.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 14:19 (Ref:546409)   #33
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The very fact that it is causing so much controversy makes it a potential mental hazard to some drivers and a mental distraction at 180 miles an hour is a sorry thought indeed.
It must be voluntary or individually tailored
Old 25 Mar 2003, 04:17 (Ref:547059)   #34
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still find any of this all that believable. With Wilson, remember that he had no power steering the whole race.

The HANS has been used not only in CART but in NASCAR for several seasons. They split the difference in seating position with NASCAR higher and CART lower. none of the drivers in either series have reported a problem or made one peep about any of this
Old 25 Mar 2003, 22:19 (Ref:548058)   #35
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, F1 drivers like to moan about anything new. It was brought into the series for their benefit, not for any other reason.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 11:47 (Ref:548573)   #36
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems now that they will NOT have a choice. The FIA have told the teams that no dispensations will now be allowed. Any driver who cannot (or will not?) wear it, will have to be replaced!

The Barrichello's and Villeneuve's of this world will therefore be seen with the HANS in Brazil, or at least in this instance, it looks like Badoer (?) and Sato (?) will be making their 2003 race debuts...
Old 26 Mar 2003, 11:56 (Ref:548586)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would Villeneuve be replaced? He's been using the HANS and hasn't complained since the season got underway.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 15:25 (Ref:548842)   #38
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV's problem is that he has a smallish neck and the HANS does not accommodate such shapes very well. Then again, unless its about other matters, especially those called Button , tends not to complain about his own problems in public anyway. JV is a tough little cookie. Jogging up and down pit lanes in full racing gear in searing temperatures just proves it.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 22:49 (Ref:549381)   #39
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know that, but he wore the HANS in Australia and Malaysia so why do u think he can't do the same in Brazil
Old 26 Mar 2003, 23:12 (Ref:549415)   #40
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason for Hans being mandatory is it is seen as a safety requirement. The purpose of the device is to prevent excessive flexion of the neck and possible dammage to vertebrae and spinal cord in the event of a front impact. The device can be tailored to suit diffent drivers see www.hansdevice.com/information-sheet.htm
Many other series have compulsory use of the device with no problems. CART has used it for a couple of seasons and so have the DTM drivers.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 23:14 (Ref:549416)   #41
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another useful site with information on the use of hans and its benefits is www.cart.com/Tech/Hans_Device.asp
Old 27 Mar 2003, 02:42 (Ref:549539)   #42
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Webslinger
The Barrichello's and Villeneuve's of this world will therefore be seen with the HANS in Brazil, or at least in this instance, it looks like Badoer (?) and Sato (?) will be making their 2003 race debuts...
Villeneuve did not refuse to wear his???

IF you look at DC Hans it is tailored specificaly for him,the shoulder portion where the belts rest is widder then the standard model,what happen to Wilson, cant happend with his.

Cart and Nascar drivers have been using it for a while now. A lot dont like it, a lot hate the fact that they have less head movement.
But I never heard one of them complain that it was hurting them and painfull.

And as for Allonso,,he had the flu, had a high fever when he got out of his Renault and he was drainned ( imagina all this and no 5th gear on top of it)

Last edited by mariov; 27 Mar 2003 at 02:43.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 07:37 (Ref:549658)   #43
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by DarrellB
The device can be tailored to suit diffent drivers see www.hansdevice.com/information-sheet.htm
Looks as if they don't ship outside the USA.

Do they actually make the 40SP and 40LP models?
I can't find them at the order form.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 07:48 (Ref:549662)   #44
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by mariov
IF you look at DC Hans it is tailored specificaly for him,the shoulder portion where the belts rest is widder then the standard model,what happen to Wilson, cant happend with his.

Cart and Nascar drivers have been using it for a while now. A lot dont like it, a lot hate the fact that they have less head movement.
But I never heard one of them complain that it was hurting them and painfull.
I think NASCAR drivers can be ignored here, because they are using a very different model.
However, the fact that CART drivers are using this system may be a good point.

Wilson has had almost no opportunity to test the device.
Perhaps his length may have added to the problem.
And I guess he is also still waiting for his new HANS device, ordered a couple of weeks ago.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 08:05 (Ref:549668)   #45
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Webslinger
it looks like Badoer (?) and Sato (?) will be making their 2003 race debuts...
Nooo, not Badoer... I want MASSA ATTACK MASSA ATTACK!

I can almost feel it! And at Brazil Everybody look out
Old 27 Mar 2003, 10:57 (Ref:549774)   #46
nunga
Rookie

nunga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's their life leave the decision up to them! It's only the FIA covering their arse if they die.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 08:12 (Ref:551886)   #47
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Several drivers experienced problems with the HANS system, the head and neck support which is mandatory in F1, as from the start of this season.
Having struggled with it in Australia and the two practice days in Malaysia, Rubens Barrichello was given special dispensation by the Stewards to race without it. FIA`s chief medical man, Prof. Watkins examined the Ferrari driver who was complaining of a trapped nerve.
Minardi`s Justin Wilson had to retire from the race with no feeling in his arms, after part of his safety harness got twisted when it slipped off the HANS. He was in such pain that he had to be helicoptered to a Kuala Lumpur hospital, but he will be fit to drive at the next race in Brazil. Some drivers, including David Coulthard and Kimi Raikkonen are now using a new attachment system for the HANS, which involves having a separate harness to hold it in place.

Tags
hans