Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Australian Touring Car Racing in 10 years time?
Holden/Ford only- changes to event structures/points etc, as happens now. 6 18.75%
Holden/Ford/Mitsubishi/Toyota with "evoltionary"refinements to maintain parity 12 37.50%
Above 4 makes plus European makes ie. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Opel 9 28.13%
Something else entirely- describe! 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 May 2003, 05:20 (Ref:593086)   #26
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm keen to see other manufactures join in the Supercar fun. As long as the parity was kept in order, I don't think it would be a problem. The only hurdle I feel is that Toyota or Mitsubishi don't sell rear-wheel drive, 5-litre cars off the shelf, which is mandatory to enter the class. Once they do this though, I've got no probs seeing them on the grid. Plus, Toyo's and Mitsu's are both recognised in lots of different parts of the world, giving the Supercars an even bigger market to sell to.
Old 9 May 2003, 00:46 (Ref:594105)   #27
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd personally like to go down a more production route, with the cars base minimum weight worked of the cars capacity. Ie: 5 litre - 1350kg, 3 litre - 1100kg or something of that nature. I see no problem with non V8 motors. Maintain revv limiters to 8000rpm. Maintain limits on gears and other part types, brake materials etc.

But mostly, get in Mitsubishi, Toyota. The reason is they're nearly as Australian as Ford and GMH. They develop a local product, build it here... American or Japanese ownership, who cares.

So long as the product is locally manufactured it should be eligible. That promotes investment into the country by giving exposure to the companies that do. It'd be nice if Nissan came back here and produced the Skyline/Stagea line here.

Oh, and the reason why OHC is actually useful is valvetrain mass between cam lobe and valve tip. However, I think it adds to overall mass in V motors.

I'm a fan of the DOHC straight 4/5/6 myself. Cheap, simple, effective, easy to package forced induction with... good motors. Comparitively tall, but effective.

In the end though, GTP remains my preffered class.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 9 May 2003, 05:24 (Ref:594166)   #28
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RRR
The only hurdle I feel is that Toyota or Mitsubishi don't sell rear-wheel drive, 5-litre cars off the shelf....
Neither do Holden, but then the car raced by GM-Holden in the V8's is a Holden/Chev hybrid, just like a DamilerChrysler V8 (with Mitsubishi branding) would also be a hybrid.
Old 9 May 2003, 09:19 (Ref:594292)   #29
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and the Ford is powered by a 5lt engine while the road car is 5.4lt.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 12 May 2003, 15:10 (Ref:597010)   #30
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't Toyota run under Lexus becuse doesn't Toyota own Lexus. They are doing the same in the USA trying to get into Nascar but are having to race one full season or make a long time comitment to the Craftsman truck series just to get into Nascar. Off track just bit. Thats what Toyoata should do because Lexus run V8 engines and they are Rear Wheel Drive
Old 12 May 2003, 22:36 (Ref:597456)   #31
Mattracer
Veteran

Yes, but not in Avalons/Camrys

Old 13 May 2003, 07:29 (Ref:597638)   #32
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as the general concensus from AVESCO lately has been Australian made cars only for other manufacturers ( ), that would count any Lexus out.

Last edited by racer69; 13 May 2003 at 07:29.
Old 20 May 2003, 06:27 (Ref:604264)   #33
Mattracer
Veteran

Lexus are a bit, how you say, "upmarket" for the intended demographic.

Shoot me down, but I would like Holden/Ford only.

Old 20 May 2003, 06:33 (Ref:604267)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The interesting part is that a Lexus IS200 is on the same shopping list as a Statesman, Calais, Fairlane, Fairmont Ghia, 3 series, A4 etc... they are aspirational cars, which is all thats important really...

I mean how many XR6 and XR8's are there on the road compared to the standard cars? Or S and SS's relative to the Executives
Old 20 May 2003, 06:43 (Ref:604276)   #35
Mattracer
Veteran

The true test is how many XR Falcons and S/SS Commodores are in the carparks of Australia's racing circuits.

In fact, how many Fords/Holdens are there, period?

Old 26 May 2003, 09:57 (Ref:610262)   #36
TeamChaparral
Rookie

TeamChaparral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
In the year 2013 Rodney Forbes will go down in history as the only person to have destroyed at least one of every model Falcon from the 21st century.
Now that's Funny.....