Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2003, 10:40 (Ref:677017)   #26
abiz
Rookie

abiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Not in F3000 but yes! in other International formulas."

Hi not posted here before but I think High contrast could be showing signs of a little jealousy here. I take it your son hasn't been noticed or given the opportunity to drive a Minardi or a Jaguar?
Old 1 Aug 2003, 10:43 (Ref:677019)   #27
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This is a cool thread! Wilson has already been written off by one member since he was "destroyed" in his very first free practice, while Kiesa is doing fantastic as his lap times are showing almost the same gap from his team mate as Wilson's. I know if I look hard enough I will find the logic to that somewhere...

Just a thought, but shouldn't we evaluate the new guys based on the weekend performance as a whole rather than one free practice?

I would say so far, so good for both as neither of them threw their cars off the track.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:23 (Ref:677051)   #28
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Mark Webber fan i'd like to see Justin Wilson go quickly as i believe that would bring the best out of Webber & ultimately be the best thing for Jaguar.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:33 (Ref:677060)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by high contrast
I said destroyed not slaughtered actually...do pay attention.

It was a direct quote to me from an F1 driver there actually, I just passed it on, adding my own comment to wind you up.

As an ex team manager I'm more used to judging drivers in 100's and a few tenths at worst, not almost a minute! Dream on you believers of press hype!
Um so you think they're almost a minute apart?

Still think you need more water wth that.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:56 (Ref:677078)   #30
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TBH High, you are not making very much sense to me.....
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:59 (Ref:677080)   #31
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
Welcome Abiz
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:01 (Ref:677171)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well after Q1 I see Webber is destroying Wilson by ooh er........... 0.4 secs!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:17 (Ref:677189)   #33
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, what a comprehensive thrashing! High Contrast seems to have an uncanny feel for this F1 lark!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:17 (Ref:677190)   #34
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
If Q2 reflects Q1, and wilson makes one of his blinding starts, you may find webber behind him for the first corner!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:17 (Ref:677192)   #35
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well remember 2001, Wilson often outqualified and outraced Webber in F3000. Different teams but essentially same equipment back then. Good to see JW doing a good job and getting up to speed.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:20 (Ref:677196)   #36
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's shaping as a great battle & hopefully at the end of the day they can both score points for Jaguar.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:26 (Ref:677206)   #37
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The interesting thing is that Wilson is 2.4 sec up on verstappen i dont think the faster car is going to faze him at all
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:27 (Ref:677207)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
As I said elswhere its early days but if these two really are pumping each other up the future for Jag may be quite rosy. Wish I'd invested now.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:46 (Ref:677222)   #39
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
Let me get this straight - going by the figures you've given here Justins is .9 behind mark and is being 'destroyed' and Kiesa is .8 behind Jos and is doing 'a good job' - are you sure about that?. Nice touch of consistency there.

Personally I'd have said it was a good effort by both of them but there you go.
A matter of perception of their relative experience?... Wilsons done 11 Grand Prix, Kiesa's a total Rookie! Don't apply for a team managers job.

I better shut up as well now...Wilsons found out which buttons to press in the last session!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:50 (Ref:677225)   #40
high contrast
Retired
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Yes, what a comprehensive thrashing! High Contrast seems to have an uncanny feel for this F1 lark!
Perhaps I was a bit hasty, but I have trained drivers who have raced in F1. Perhaps I expect too much, early days still tho!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:53 (Ref:677226)   #41
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahahahahahahah!

Sorry, had to gfet that out. You might be a nutter but your "statements" are at least amusing.

Good show from Wilson to be ahead of both Ferraris and within .4 of Webber, faster than Pizzonia would have been I reckon. Kiesa looks promising too, shame he stopped.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:53 (Ref:677227)   #42
high contrast
Retired
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Well after Q1 I see Webber is destroying Wilson by ooh er........... 0.4 secs!
Yeah, yeah...'Hindsight' was a very clever bloke! that was then, This is now!

The real test will be qualifying and the race, I'm not as easily impressed as most of you seem to be.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:55 (Ref:677228)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Perhaps I was a bit hasty, but I have trained drivers who have raced in F1. Perhaps I expect too much, early days still tho!
No really I shouldn't but well, ok then.

Was Yoong one of them?
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:56 (Ref:677230)   #44
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A matter of perception of their relative experience?... Wilsons done 11 Grand Prix, Kiesa's a total Rookie! Don't apply for a team managers job.
Yeah sorry, I'd forgotten to take into account Wilsons vast F1 experience - a whopping 11 GP's (he's even finished a couple of them).

Kiesa is a total rookie, Wilson is a rookie in an unfamiliar car - not a lot of difference if you ask me.

No need to worry about me applying for a team managers job, management = paper shuffling, money counting and ego stroking. Not my scene at all.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:57 (Ref:677231)   #45
high contrast
Retired
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH
ahahahahahahah!

Sorry, had to gfet that out. You might be a nutter but your "statements" are at least amusing.

Good show from Wilson to be ahead of both Ferraris and within .4 of Webber, faster than Pizzonia would have been I reckon. Kiesa looks promising too, shame he stopped.
"Nutter" thats a bit personal! If you're so clever what championships have your drivers won? if any!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:01 (Ref:677235)   #46
abiz
Rookie

abiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
High Contrast - A (F1?) driver trainer, an ex team owner with a son who's won an International championship ('s). Interesting...

How much can you expect from Wilson? I think there are very few who could have achieved the same result today under the circumstances! It is early days for Wilson driving a Jag, I'm sure we can expect a lot lot more from him, the pressure on him this weekend is immense.

Last edited by abiz; 1 Aug 2003 at 14:05.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:06 (Ref:677240)   #47
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
high contrast well in a way I (the company I worked for) had three drivers. I was directly involved with one driver Zsolt Baumgartner, the Jordan paytestdriver. The other two were the driver line of Nordic in their championship year, so I could be a little bit biasd towards Justin :-))).

Having said that, he is much much faster than I expected him to be today. Even if he screws up tomorrow, he will still be fast and that is a fact. He is already faster than Pizzonia, whilst he did not drive the car before, does not know the tires or the track. Also, taking his amazing racecraft into account, Jag has made a good decision. Just a personal opinion of course.

Cheers,
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:09 (Ref:677242)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the sensible approach is to wait until you can have some hindsight (?). Let's wait till Justin has (at the very least) completed a race weekend with Jaguar. then we will have (a little) information on which to make an assessment.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:15 (Ref:677248)   #49
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he proved that he is quick no matter what. If he screws up tomorrow and Sunday it will be because he tries too hard. Its a mindgame now, if he can keep cool he will good enough this year to support Mark and get the drive for next year. I think that must be the goal for him.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:17 (Ref:677251)   #50
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I think the sensible approach is to wait until you can have some hindsight (?).
Very well put Adam!

HC - don't you feel a bit daft putting JW down before he'd even turned a Jaguar wheel, and then all you can say is "well hindsight is a wonderful thing?" I think he's doing fabulously - I don't know who these drivers are that you are supposed to have trained, but I doubt anyone could have done much better today.