Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:09 (Ref:682273)   #26
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK maybe the two examples I gave wearn't the best, but why can't they get some more experience driving a sportscar - I will throw a few more names in to the hat - V-BH, Annie Templeton, Nataile Barratt or Melaine Healey.

Last edited by rdjones; 7 Aug 2003 at 21:10.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:20 (Ref:682290)   #27
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yah and Barret Healey and Templeton all have International experince dont they. And they all have driven at International level. I THINK NOT. Okay so a couple have raced in BTCC but again these are just 1hr sprint races, nothing more. And none of these drivers have made a real impression in racing really. They have all just slipped away. A perfect example is Templeton, she wasnt even good enough for BTCC production class.

Anyway Ive said my piece, IMO we dont have enough experinced female drivers at National level for a all British assault, let alone International standard. Sorry dude I dont mean to rain on ur parade, just being realistic. Maybe in a few years we will have, but at the moment? Nah I dont think so.

Although Paula cook is gaining International sportscar experince, and seems to be doing a good solid job. The others though I cant imagine being at Le Mans, this is LE MANS we are talking about. Its a International level race and is supposed to have the very best sportscar teams and drivers from around the world, having a all British entry of female all British drivers would make a mockery of the race. But if u had a British entry and 1 British driver alongside 2 other drivers who are experinced and proven at International level then the entry would at least look serious.

I dont mean to sound harsh, but I think ur dreaming if u think we can have a ALL BRITISH team and female driving line-up at Le Mans for 2004. If these people are serious enter a car in the Euro GT series first or FIA GT and get some International experince in races which are longer than 75 mins, even enter the Nurburgring 24hrs and Bathurst 24hrs. THEN make a bid for Le Mans. I think its best I dont add anything much more to this otherwise it may turn sour, but thats just my opinion. Im not sexist, I belive there are great women drivers out there at the moment, but not enough from any single country alone to enter Le Mans on their own. Now a team and driving line up of female drivers from across the globe? Hell yeah u could have a very strong entry...
Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:26 (Ref:682297)   #28
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes thats vaild point - but its the old story - how do u get experience, IMO by doing something that will give u the experience. In this case that means driving at Le Mans.

If this was a male project we where discussing then we would all be for giving a young driver a chance, why not take a chance with an unknow female driver - u never know u might find a star.........

Last edited by rdjones; 7 Aug 2003 at 21:28.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:32 (Ref:682304)   #29
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As Ive said, yes let them drive. But why not first contest a few rounds of Euro GT, FIA GT and maybe the Sebring 12hrs and PLM? Then if they can cut it sure then let them race at Le Mans. But if they cant then switch to a International female driving line-up. OR they could enter 2 cars. I know its a long shot but Id have.

#1 Car.
Claudia Hurtgen
Vanina Ickx
Milka Duno (or Dancia Patrick, or both and have a 4 driver line-up entry).

#2 Car.
Amanda Stretton
Paula Cook
Vicky Butler Henderson (or Annie Templeton, or have both as a 4 driver line-up.

That would to me be a ideal scenario, but whether it will happen or not is another matter. I dont think it will though unfortunatly.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 06:04 (Ref:682539)   #30
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
See Saleen this would make an even better show IMHO...2 cars a full years build up to Le Mans taking in many of the races you mention but with only one car and three drivers ultimately making it ..this is after all a TV show and they are going to want drama tears and tantrums for the viewers aren't they

Last edited by PaulSands; 8 Aug 2003 at 06:04.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 06:45 (Ref:682554)   #31
Steve Wood
Racer

Steve Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlotte Osborn is currently the fastest driver, like for like, in the Britcar endurance series. She drives a powerful GT car, a Marcos Mantis.

Liz Halliday has just stepped-up to the British GT series in a cup-class Porsche. She is known for her one-driver contention in 2-hour Britcar races, in a BMW M3.

Fiona Leggate is currently in her first year of racing, but has shown well in the Mayflower Trophy, and the two Britcar enduros that she has contested, though only in a MG ZR. Maybe one for the future.

These are realistic proposals, these ladies have no other commercial agendas, and I urge those that can put something together to consider this.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 07:48 (Ref:682584)   #32
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry,but the article did say North or South American drivers.Maybe for sponsorship reasons? None of the Brits mentioned could raise the money.If we bring in europeans no one has mentioned Lillian Bryner who has the most experience.Most likely line up is Stretton/Patrick/Duno. Looks like Amanda has set this up and the other 2 are known to have access to funds.

Last edited by Rob29; 8 Aug 2003 at 07:50.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 08:46 (Ref:682627)   #33
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just going to mention Lilian Bryner myself. Four times at Le Mans, and second at the Spa 24 hours last month.

BTW, Christophe Bastin's site has a good guide to every drivers record at Le Mans,
http://home.nordnet.fr/~cbastin/pilotes/pilotes_24h.htm
Old 8 Aug 2003, 17:31 (Ref:683082)   #34
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Vanina Ickx, Claudia Hurtgen...

Not sure that Milka is in the pace of the two others...
Old 13 Aug 2003, 15:21 (Ref:687219)   #35
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a female, sorry, a ladies team is a great idea. And Liz, it does matter what they look like naked, it's very, very important. In fact let's have a ladies category.
Or maybe a naked and drunk category, so us fans can relate, y'know. Say a DUI 675 or something, where the driver has to actually fail the breathalyser before he/she climbs naked into the cockpit. The further over the limit, the larger their restrictor. They'd have to be careful that they that don't snag anything while belting up though...
H
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:22 (Ref:688302)   #36
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But why should that category be limitd to girls? After all, you guys have far more experience in the "driving drunk and nekkid" category than we have!

However, I think there ought to be a panel of expert judges appointed who can view photos of all potential drivers and require that some of them get in fit shape before attempting this demanding category of racing. A good many of us girls agreed that we saw a lot more of Paul Tracy at Mid Ohio than anyone not related to him by marriage ought to be allowed to see.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:10 (Ref:688396)   #37
bigh
Racer

Hell, let's all get naked!!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 18:13 (Ref:689253)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, we could start with the Hawaiian Tropic girls, I suppose.......
Old 15 Aug 2003, 19:14 (Ref:689303)   #39
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
If this project will come to a good end, will it be the first all female team that entered Le Mans?
Old 15 Aug 2003, 19:22 (Ref:689310)   #40
bigh
Racer

Well, we can have a laugh, but I was only half joking, and Liz, to her credit, didn't take the bait, and replied with a bit of dignity and humour.
I reckon (and I think we've been here before) this is one of the most meat-headed topics to raise it's head every now and then.
Saleen S7R, go back and re-read your posts and substitute the word black for women, and then go and hang your head in shame. Jeez, what went wrong with our education system??
H
Old 16 Aug 2003, 03:33 (Ref:689537)   #41
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
If this project will come to a good end, will it be the first all female team that entered Le Mans?
No ; the first Renault assault in 1976 was with an ladies team (Marie-Claude Beaumont at least, cannot remember the other one right now).

And there was a "ladies cup" in the thirties too...

There was much more ladies at Le Mans in the past than nowadays... Simon should have the 'ACO annuals' to check it out...
Old 16 Aug 2003, 11:31 (Ref:689708)   #42
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It would be nice if there will be an All-British-Female team. But quality counts so better a good international ladies team than a team with unexperienced British drivers.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 13:40 (Ref:689767)   #43
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIRE-what happened to all those Dutch ladies that used to to race tin tops a few years back?
Old 16 Aug 2003, 14:42 (Ref:689797)   #44
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
No ; the first Renault assault in 1976 was with an ladies team (Marie-Claude Beaumont at least, cannot remember the other one right now).

And there was a "ladies cup" in the thirties too...

There was much more ladies at Le Mans in the past than nowadays... Simon should have the 'ACO annuals' to check it out...
Think the most recent all-female driving lineup at LM may have been Lyn St.James/Desire Wilson/Cathy Muller who drove a Spice-Cosworth back in 1991?
Old 16 Aug 2003, 14:43 (Ref:689799)   #45
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
FIRE-what happened to all those Dutch ladies that used to to race tin tops a few years back?
Most of them are still racing in the Dutch Renault Clio Cup or Alfa 146 Challenge. I think it's better to let them stay in these championships. They have no experience in cars with more power than these smal touring cars. I think there are no Dutch ladies who drive in GT championships like Euro GT, Belcar or Dutch Supercar Challenge at the moment.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 14:54 (Ref:689802)   #46
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
It would be nice if there will be an All-British-Female team. But quality counts so better a good international ladies team than a team with unexperienced British drivers.

Agreed- I think we can safely assume that the project largely hinges around Amanda Stretton's involvement (I'm sure I read that there was some kind of television deal involved, which makes sense given Amanda's media involvements), but bearing in mind that her sportscar experience is limited- a few rounds of British GT, and one outing in FIASSC, it would make more sense to pair her with experienced female sportscar campiagners like Lilian Bryner or Claudia Hurtgen, than throwing a couple of young drivers in at the deep end.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 12:43 (Ref:690303)   #47
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
And Ellen Lohr?
She did DTM, DTC and at the moment German Porsche Cup.

Or off-road specialst Jutta Kleinschmidt? Has she circuit experience?
Old 18 Aug 2003, 08:35 (Ref:690890)   #48
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
Think the most recent all-female driving lineup at LM may have been Lyn St.James/Desire Wilson/Cathy Muller who drove a Spice-Cosworth back in 1991?
Very possible... I just can't remember another all-female team between 1991 and 2003... BTW, a japanese female drvier was planned to drive these car, if I can remember, and was not allowed to, due to licence problems...

Last edited by Fab; 18 Aug 2003 at 08:36.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 13:16 (Ref:691179)   #49
Andy Zarse
Rookie

Andy Zarse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one has yet mentioned the obvious: Maureen from Driving School! Given the current focus in the media on "celebrity" why not pair her with say that bird who came second in Big Brother and Rita Fairclough off Coronation Street. You think I am joking? Then ask yourselves how much better many of the above women would actually do in the race? Last place beckons!

No doubt the will keep having to stop for the loo and then buy a copy of Hello magazine and an icecream at the supermarche in Arnage. And don't the team management even DARE to try critising their driving, as they will sulk and not talk for the rest of the race.

Or am I being sexist?
Old 18 Aug 2003, 17:15 (Ref:691434)   #50
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
From memory there where plans to have an all Female team this year the rummour was that they where going to drive the old Ascari and Klass Zwart daughter would be one of the drivers.