Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 8 Nov 2003, 19:03 (Ref:777100)   #26
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you used to be able to get race horses too
Old 8 Nov 2003, 19:12 (Ref:777109)   #27
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember those they had sets called The Derby, The Grand National etc
Old 8 Nov 2003, 20:01 (Ref:777134)   #28
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many years ago I was the head of the Strombecker factory travelling slot car team. When slot cars became "thingies" back in the late 60s-early 70s with out of scale wheels and wheel tracks that were twice as wide as true scale, and 4 inch tall flexable wings, I got out.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 16:48 (Ref:778993)   #29
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of years ago myself and some friends discovered 'Fly' slot cars and a great purpose built 6 lane track in Bognor called 'ford park raceway' to race them, The track has now closed and dispite pooling all of our track and buying some more, the thought of spending 1 hour setting up a track then sitting on a draughty garage floor for a couple more, then taking it all apart never took off.
We have all got a nice collection of model cars, some of which have risen in price to a quite remarkable level and are highly detailed.

BTW Ayse, there is (or was) a large track at ringwood that i went to once, 3 tracks i think, not to far from you?

Last edited by Nordic; 10 Nov 2003 at 16:49.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 13:26 (Ref:779806)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really?, that is close, but I haven't heard of it.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 15:07 (Ref:782120)   #31
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love my scalextric! I had all my brothers and dad's old cars from the 50's and 60's - all old ferrari's and lotus's, really cool ones - and i had all the different types of track.

The piece of track that went into one lane was fantastic, always worried me when the two cars were getting near to it and they were near-enough neck-and-neck!

My favourite cars were my mg metro and mini cooper.

I'm getting it down from the loft as soon as i get home for a Scalextric revival!

Alonso for 2004 WDC! - perhaps not
Old 13 Nov 2003, 16:30 (Ref:782181)   #32
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear they do bikes now as well, but as they don't lean over it sounds a bit pointless ???
Old 13 Nov 2003, 16:57 (Ref:782205)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure they did bikes years ago - with sidecars too, if I remember correctly........
Old 13 Nov 2003, 17:03 (Ref:782211)   #34
Brandy_snap
Racer

Yes they did do the ones with sidecars... my dad remembers them. And i heard about the new bikes, but whats the fun if they dont lean over round the corners?!

Old 13 Nov 2003, 17:09 (Ref:782216)   #35
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wouln't be hard to make 'em lean over. But it would mean they'd be fragile.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 17:19 (Ref:782221)   #36
Brandy_snap
Racer

Yeah i know about frailty... my racing cosworths had beautiful wing mirrors on them, until one day one of the boys round the road come over... he smashed one of my wing mirrors off! The poor things little stalk was still in the hole and the tiny mirror had broken off! ! I never forgave him either...

Last edited by Brandy_snap; 13 Nov 2003 at 17:20.

Old 13 Nov 2003, 17:23 (Ref:782230)   #37
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
ah, the mirrors from all my cars are gone sadly. (except the Merc GTR maybe)
One of the bits that always used to break when my brother got hold of the cars is the pin that holds the guide on. He'd drive flat out into a hairpin and snap it as the car flew off the track.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 18:42 (Ref:782302)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I seem to remember fragile exhaust pipes too, that even if they didn't fall off, the "chrome" rubbed off the plastic leaving cheap and nasty off-white plastic pipes.......
Old 14 Nov 2003, 09:04 (Ref:782936)   #39
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You sholud see the Comma Caterham I bought my brother for his birthday.

Within a week, there were no lights, front wings, windscreen, rollcage or even driver! Awesome in a straight line - low air resistance and lighter weight than standard.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 09:36 (Ref:782968)   #40
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody tried the Porsche 911's with headlights, turn all the room lights off for that full LM 24 Hour effect, then trip over everything the first time you fall off and try to put the car back on !!!
Old 14 Nov 2003, 11:31 (Ref:783067)   #41
Brandy_snap
Racer

I know about the lights! My ford cosworths have the same, headlights and tail lights!

Old 14 Nov 2003, 14:40 (Ref:783267)   #42
Brandy_snap
Racer

And one other thing - did anyone have one of the racing lorries? I always wanted them and never got one

Old 14 Nov 2003, 14:45 (Ref:783270)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
You can still get the trucks - they're made by fly or someone like that (and they look damn good).
Old 14 Nov 2003, 14:50 (Ref:783278)   #44
Brandy_snap
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
You can still get the trucks - they're made by fly or someone like that (and they look damn good).
Thanks i'll look out for them!

Old 14 Nov 2003, 14:50 (Ref:783281)   #45
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, they do MAN or Merc Actros rigs. If its not FLY, then its Ninco.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 15:05 (Ref:783295)   #46
Brandy_snap
Racer

Thanks. This is really sad, but i still have a magazine of all the different scalextric vehicles you could get. I loved it. And pirenzo, i remember the horses - they didn't interest me - but they looked okay

Old 17 Nov 2003, 10:07 (Ref:785625)   #47
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My bro's going to buy the Tuscan Challenge Scalextric set, and then i'll buy some GT40's and the whole thing will get going again.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 10:58 (Ref:785668)   #48
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I'm going down to my LHS today and I'm going to get a Corolla WRC and Astra DTM cars, maybe a Ninco F1 if they have one. Oh yes, loads of track too, mines really uneven and hard to get the metal pins seated properly without the cars sounding like trains......
Old 29 Nov 2003, 17:11 (Ref:798312)   #49
Evil Fuzzy
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Evil Fuzzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just got the Scalextric TVR Tuscan and it's really good. I like the fact that the engine is located at the front. The magnet is strong enough to compensate the odd weight balance. Maybe it's a bit too strong, 'cause just like the new Lola B98/10 from Fly the car runs like it's on rails. I haven't tried other magnets yet, but I will soon. The only flaw in the car are the new lights. They're very bright and the taillights shine right through the yellow bodywork. The headlights shine some 2 metres far (seriously, I'm not kidding) and light up the track like a Christmas tree, it looks ridiculous at first but it comes in handy during a night race.
Old 29 Nov 2003, 17:34 (Ref:798326)   #50
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
You could take the body off, and put a layer of black electrical tape on the inside.

Thats what I did on my RC car when I fitted LEDs to the inside, and had a bit of 'light leakage' on the body. Eletrical tape did the trick fine.