Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Jan 2004, 22:04 (Ref:849629)   #26
Swift-1929
Rookie

Swift-1929 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shuffles in - hands in pocket - frendly faces!

Hello one and all - it seems strange in a new place - are the waters warm here?

Just back with the 12/50 from Manchester and will now spend all of tomorrow getting the salt off her.

Hmm, how do you get smilies, links and that sort of stuff to work here?

K

Last edited by Swift-1929; 24 Jan 2004 at 22:08.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 10:53 (Ref:849908)   #27
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Swift-1929
Hmm, how do you get smilies, links and that sort of stuff to work here?
If you click on to (Click here for full topic reply features) it will open a new window with all the options available. Just click onto a smilie to insert it into your post. To quote someone, as I've done with you, click on the 'quote' icon at the top of their original post.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 11:54 (Ref:849921)   #28
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin

The difference is it all works here!

I assume that the link shown above was to the Post Reply option. This gives you a lot of helpful features (including the ability to post files) and a wide range of Smilies.

Duncan
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:53 (Ref:850308)   #29
Swift-1929
Rookie

This is fun. Sorry - just trying a couple of things. I wonder what would be considered the right size for an image. Lets try this one of the 12/50. I cannot work out how to put it in the middle though?
Attached Thumbnails
small alvis.jpg  
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:06 (Ref:850320)   #30
Swift-1929
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by BugEyed
Don't worry - we members never get to see the numbers of votes cast, so the humiliation wouldn't be public....
Apparently those elected don't know either. Only the club secretary counts, and sees them.

This is a BIG forum, I think need to explore, but I'll try not to get lost.
[img]http://**********************/sammlung0903/lachen/laughing-smiley-009.gif[/img]

I cannot make an embedded image work though unless from my C drive like the car. The above is supposed to be a smilie.

Last edited by Swift-1929; 25 Jan 2004 at 22:09.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:12 (Ref:850330)   #31
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin

A lovely picture of NAFF - it shows the usefulness of the features on this Forum in that other users know what we are talking about.

See you at the Exmoor?

Duncan
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:24 (Ref:850349)   #32
Swift-1929
Rookie

Duncan,

Thank you. Unfortunatly Naff isn't so shiny after 300 miles of driving this weekend and I now hope to get the salt and grime off her one day next week. However - I really REALLY must get the welsh weekend regs out this week!

Unfortunatly, or fortunatly, depending where you stand, I'm missing the Exmoor this year and going to join Annabel in France for a few days that weekend. Is it really a year since we broke the ford!

Will you be marshalling?

K
Old 26 Jan 2004, 09:09 (Ref:850719)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A truly beautiful car Swift, and welcome.

Mike, it's great that you have started this thread, and that you and Bugeyed are challenging what appears to be a slightly blinkered and elitist element in the VSCC. I want to be careful what I say here because I don't want to upset those I wish to join, but when I received my membership application, I noted that I had to be proposed and seconded by existing members. Well apart from you, Mike, I don't know any. The Club suggests in its bumpf that if you don't know anybody, attend the noggins, but in the light of your postings here, I'm not sure that appeals too much. I do think that in this day and age, having to be proposed and seconded simply to join a car club is well, shall we say old fashioned. Certainly not the way to increase membership and accessibility to enthusiasts.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 26 Jan 2004, 09:27 (Ref:850737)   #34
Swift-1929
Rookie

John,
Thank you for the welcome , and the compliments for the car. She goes well too

Yes, many aspects of the VSCC are "quaint" shall we say. Some you actually become attached to, while others are perhaps a pain in the A*#. Still I suppose that's true of most clubs that have been going a long time, whether it's cars or table tennis! Whatever, it makes no difference to ones enjoyment of 'the hobby' and anyway the cars don't care

If you like I can let you know where and when your nearest Noggin is so you can make up your own mind, or, an alternative is to come to one of the 30-40 odd events this year?
Old 26 Jan 2004, 09:41 (Ref:850745)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kevin,

You're right; the cars don't care and they are wonderful to behold, aren't they?

I'm not much into Noggins, although as I get closer to full retirement, I might find the time for some! However, I usually make the VSCC Silverstone April race meeting, which I always enjoy, my first event of the year. If you, Mike or Duncan are there, I'll introduce (reintroduce in Mike's case!) my old bewhiskered self and hopefully persuade you to sign on the dotted line!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 26 Jan 2004, 13:12 (Ref:850996)   #36
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
*walks in from the Marshals Forum to see if there are any exciting posts to be viewed*

Hello chaps!

May I join Tim in welcoming you all to Ten-Tenths. It seems that the VSCC loss is our gain

Hopefully I will be able to feast my eyes on some of your fine vehicles at this years Goodwood Festival of Speed?

Welcome once again,

Stephen.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 15:46 (Ref:851218)   #37
GoThatWay
Rookie

GoThatWay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And here's me, just come into the establishment, pulled up a bar stool and listening to all that's been going on. I'm unlikely to stay quiet for long in this corner, mind you - especially if we're allowed to talk about stuff other than roundy-roundy. Then again, after getting back late yesterday from the Measham rally, I really ought to be at home washing Lancashire off my car.

Bernard
Old 26 Jan 2004, 15:59 (Ref:851228)   #38
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
You can talk about roundy-roundy or uppy and downy, in fact anything you like really. We don't bite in here....well not often
Old 26 Jan 2004, 16:06 (Ref:851232)   #39
Swift-1929
Rookie

Hi bernard,

It does feel strange here, everything is in a different place. But the water here is warm and welcoming. Know what you mean about washing the car though! At least it didn't rain.

It IS a much bigger world and it's friendly here too.

Why don't you publish a few Measham phot's here?
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:07 (Ref:851299)   #40
GoThatWay
Rookie

Kevin, hello ...

'fraid I didn't get to take any photos myself, though I know that Chris did so, and has posted them on his fotopic site. And he seems to be subscribed over here, so I'll leave it up to him.

I guess that if circuit racing is roundy-roundy and hill-climbing is uppy-downy, then rallying is likely to be what .. lumpy-bumpy ???

Bernard
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:13 (Ref:851308)   #41
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well chaps you seem to have made yourselves at home, pulled up a stool, poured a pint of beer and made a few new friends. So, I'm going to leave the office knowing all is in order and that TimD has himself some nice new members.

Evenin all.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:14 (Ref:851311)   #42
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
By the way, before I go, how many of you do drive your cars at the Goodwood FOS as it would be good to know who to look out for in June?
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:34 (Ref:851329)   #43
GoThatWay
Rookie

Well this is a well-set-up site. I just tried to edit my last post but was told that I couldn't do so later than ten minutes after I'd originally posted it. A sensible feature, when you see the havoc which can be caused by folk editing after someone else has replied to their original.

Anyway, I wanted to edit it to warn Kevin about the image he's presenting of us. As all can see from his photo above, not only does Kevin live in London, he also leaves his car parked illegally and gets out of it to take a photo - surely long enough for the clampers to pounce ? He'll make everyone think we're all absolutely barking !!

Bernard

Last edited by GoThatWay; 26 Jan 2004 at 17:35.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:42 (Ref:851342)   #44
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the other hand, what Denver Boot will any clamper be able to fit on those wheels?

I know someone who maintains his DB4 is entirely impervious to clampers because the knock-off hubs foul anything in their armoury....!
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:49 (Ref:851346)   #45
Swift-1929
Rookie

Bernard, you are the first to spot that! The trees in the background is Hyde Park at Lancaster gate. And yes, it was a 'quick shot' before the yellow perils got to me!

Barking Of course we are all barking You have to be to drive 1920's cars hundreds of miles across the country - compete in a 200 mile all night rally - in the middle of January, and then drive it all the way home again

What fun though! Bernard, how can we encourage some more people to join our particular flavour of madness?

PS. I didn't know about the 10 minite rule! I rely on going back sometimes as if A is about she will pop back in and correct my spellings. Oops.

(and thanks for your kind words on the home front )
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:54 (Ref:851350)   #46
Swift-1929
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
On the other hand, what Denver Boot will any clamper be able to fit on those wheels?

I know someone who maintains his DB4 is entirely impervious to clampers because the knock-off hubs foul anything in their armoury....!
Talking of which - there is a B+B hotel just round the corner and if a car gets clamped outside it, I have now seen several times two chaps run an extension lead from a window and use an electric grinder to cut the thing off So, having gotten wise to this, the wardens now just call a removal truck. So now the the guys in the hotel run out quickly and sit in the car. Apparently you cannot tow it away with someone inside!

Good spectators sport!
Old 26 Jan 2004, 21:15 (Ref:851569)   #47
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello to all who have found their way to this lovely forum -marshals take a look at the marshals section - its always good fun

I'm not going in for any VSCC bashing here - I don't think it is fair to anyone at the club as they may not wish to respond here, although they don't seem to want to respond on the club forum either.

I'm sorry that the attitude of the cub has upet so many of you, but the reaction does seem a little extreme sometimes. Stop using the forum by all means but please do still support the events.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 21:20 (Ref:851579)   #48
Swift-1929
Rookie

VSCC Bashing - agreed. It's a superb club all round. Simply this is a better forum
Old 26 Jan 2004, 22:34 (Ref:851669)   #49
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would never say anything here that I wouldn't say at the VSCC site. I love our quaint club, but if 'the powers that be' would just give the semblance of listening from time to time.......

I feel a lot of rot set in with the decision, a few years back, that the competition side of the Club had to cover its costs.....

What on earth would the Club be like without competition???

Last edited by eclectic; 26 Jan 2004 at 22:36.

Steve McQueen.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 23:00 (Ref:851701)   #50
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peace be with you

And it came to pass that the Bishop did clamber up the steps of his pulpit and announce to all his friends,

So pleased to see many of the VSCC flock hereabouts, although I have noted a poster claiming to be the 'Priest Catcher!

time to put the recent debacle behind us and concentrate on fun with our cars, fun with our friends - new and old.

Here I can talk about Rileys, Amilcars, MGs and the like as well as reference Formula Juniors...my Cooper is up on the jacks awaiting drum brakes.

Just booked 'Er in Doors and the Bishop into the Metropole for the forthcoming LCES...looks like we will be running the 'M' Type.

Anyway must get ready to rise early for Matins.

Last edited by Bishop Ranter; 26 Jan 2004 at 23:01.