Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 Jun 2004, 11:58 (Ref:995279)   #26
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont find them loud its more so music to your ears. One car that sticks out as far as noise is concerned is the 2000-01 Mclaren. Bloody hell that sounded well
Old 6 Jun 2004, 16:30 (Ref:995406)   #27
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Knowlesey, wear the ear plugs. Mallet had the best suggestion, in ear phones for a personal stereo for the commentary with headphone style protectors. That's my wife's preferred method. I use small foam plugs with regular outer ear headphones for the radio. I here the engines plenty good, but I do lose the commentary as the cars pass by.

Be prepared for the weather, both Sunscreen and light raingear are recommended. Bring your own water, as water at the track can be unneccessarily dear. I also pack a few sports bars and some fruit for munching in case I don'tr want to leave my seat to go buy food.

Wear comfortable walking shoes and try to keep your feet dry.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 21:05 (Ref:995540)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well thanks all for the advice!

Now I can just look forward to the weekend.......not long now! Only five weeks I think....

Cheers all!
Old 6 Jun 2004, 21:11 (Ref:995549)   #29
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some form of ear protection is a real essential. I burst an ear drum in 1988 spectating at Copse - it was a Ferrari that did the damage!
Old 6 Jun 2004, 21:12 (Ref:995550)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ouch!
Old 6 Jun 2004, 22:54 (Ref:995635)   #31
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ear Defenders are better, you could have earphones from your radio tuned to Silverstone Radio underneath the defenders so you can still hear the radio and cut down on the damage caused by the engines.

Believe me, trying to get to sleep at 2am on the monday morning and cant because of the tinitis is very annoying.

Earplugs and Defenders (both at once) are essential when on duty in the pitlane.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 22:55 (Ref:995637)   #32
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you're in a covered grandstand, then the sound reflects around and can be very very piercing! It's not quite so bad if you're in the open air.

I'm there this year. Hopefully I'll see you there.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 23:26 (Ref:995648)   #33
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or if you are in the Grandstands along the front stretch at Indy. Reverb City between the covering and the stands behind the pits.

Have a lot of fun. Try to meet up with some people from here, I'm sure there'll be a few.

As far as loud cars, nothing compares to the fury produced by the Panoz LMP01. Monstrous.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 23:34 (Ref:995657)   #34
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
NOOOO!!!! You do NOT need earplugs! Earplugs are evil! You pay that amount of cash because you want your ears bleed! Don't spoil your fun with plugs!

Old 7 Jun 2004, 02:14 (Ref:995726)   #35
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, since I brought up the "controversial" subject of earplugs, may I make a suggestion?

Bring them, and keep them in your pocket, and if you need them, use them, if not, throw them away. OK? Whew, I didn't expect this subject to cause so much debate!

I'm not to proud to say, that I needed them at Indy, under the covered grandstand.

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Jun 2004, 03:03 (Ref:995752)   #36
65bc
Rookie

65bc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as for the drivers wearing earplugs, theirs are for the radio, and yes the panoz is freaking loud saw that at mosport
Old 7 Jun 2004, 04:14 (Ref:995782)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome 65bc. The plugs do carry radios but they are for protection too.

Funny how this has turned out but you really do need to hear the commentary and the plug in stereo with ear defenders works just fine.

Bridge tends to be an "amphitheatre" so the sound gets magnified.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 13:37 (Ref:996177)   #38
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if it's appropriate for british climate but
bring some sunscreen with you! If you don't want to look like a lobster
Old 7 Jun 2004, 14:04 (Ref:996220)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If it isn't sunny you'll get wind burn so take the screen anyway.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 21:54 (Ref:996699)   #40
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowsley,

GPRacer is right, take earplugs, I have been to a few Grand prix at Brands Hatch (Mansel European GP win), Montreal in 1994, Hockenheim (old curcuit), Siverstone and Monza and I always take them, though I have only ever worn them at Montreal, the Ferrari's where particularly painfull that year.

As well as ear plugs take
Good shoes
Waterproofs (for when it rains)
Sun screen & Shades
A large quantity of cash to satisfy the burger van prices
Camera, a digital will do, don't need a SLR with 400mm Zoom

and of course a smile, because thats what will get used the most
Old 8 Jun 2004, 11:20 (Ref:997145)   #41
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh its a sweet az experience. Only been to one race so far, but could be going to the last race this year at Sao Paulo, and I'm booking my tickets back to Melbourne again hopefully in 5-6 weeks.

What kind of support car races do they have at Silverstone?
Aussie was cool, because they have the Aussie V8s, the GTP Nations cup and formula ford etc.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 11:59 (Ref:997180)   #42
Katieknight1984
Rookie

Katieknight1984 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they have formula 3000,historic sportscar challenge,trofeo vodafone maserati and porsche supercup.
most of it was quite good last year.
There must be times when Joann Villeneuve still doubts her wisdom in letting Jacques step in to that little kart at Imola all those years ago, but race fans around the world are eternally grateful, for in Jacques we have a racer of the old school, and a legend in his own right.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 19:48 (Ref:997699)   #43
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...Bring a rope...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 19:54 (Ref:997705)   #44
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think much of the support package, not since F3 and BTCC disappeared. Even FRenault or something would be better.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1008658)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Moved to trackside.

A place for you to plan your trips to the circuit - arrange meet-ups with old friends, or seek advice on the best place to watch from, the best bar to drink at, etc.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1008963)   #46
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Earplugs I would say are a must if you've not been before, but don't bother going out to buy some specially they give them out free at various points around the circuit.

Money...the beer and burger prices aren't the cheapest in the world and theres always something you find that you want to buy from one of the stands!

Sunscreen, hat, waterproof coat and comfy shoes!

Tent if your camping, beer, food and some paracetamol!!!
Old 19 Jun 2004, 21:42 (Ref:1008971)   #47
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Forget paracetamol, you'll need Resolve Extra!

Last time I went to the British GP I spent 40 quid on a Ferrari umbrella. Guaranteed scorching sunshine all weekend!
Old 19 Jun 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1009010)   #48
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i]

Last time I went to the British GP I spent 40 quid on a Ferrari umbrella. Guaranteed scorching sunshine all weekend! [/B]
Thanks, Garcon! You've just jinxed the weather!!
Old 19 Jun 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1009011)   #49
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would say money programs where £10 last year........
Old 19 Jun 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1009021)   #50
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
Thanks, Garcon! You've just jinxed the weather!!
You can borrow my brolly if you like...