Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 3 Aug 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1055403)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
What is the difference between Sears Point and Infineon Raceway? Are they the same place and if so, why 2 names?

They are one and the same....

The place is officially known now as "Infineon Raceway" because the company Infineon paid HUGE $$$ to be the "Title Sponsor" of the track....this is commonplace in the sports world to rename stadiums, etc., with a company's name in front of it to recognize them for the huge check that they cut for that opportunity to get their name out there...many times, it is in the millions to get that opportunity...

But the place has been known for years as "Sears Point" prior to that "Title Sponsorship".... and in some cases, it also is referred to by people by its location, which is Sonoma, California...

One of the Spanish road courses (Barcelona?) is known to the locals under another name, because it is actually located in or near a suburb of Barcelona....

A guy referred to it on the Sportscar Forum, and I asked him where that track was...he told me the story I just posted here...

Although I've probably confused you beyond belief.....

I hope that sorts it out for you....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Aug 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1055415)   #27
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks!
Old 3 Aug 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1055434)   #28
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And now it's official!

http://www.indyracingleague.com/indy...?story_id=3315
Old 3 Aug 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1055446)   #29
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I caught a quick video clip on Windtunnel last night, with AJ Foyt, and he said he may NOT show up for the road races, due to safety concerns.

Could this be a potential problem in the making?

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Aug 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1055452)   #30
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NOTE:

I just looked at the layout that they are using at Sears Point (Infineon) and not only is it rather unusual, but it is proabably the shortest configuration they have there....1.77 miles....

The full circuit is 2.5 miles long....

The NASCAR Circuit is just under 2-miles...it cuts out the section that makes the full circuit look like a "Y"....and it cuts out a couple of the "esses" on the backstretch area of the course...

The Motorcycle circuit (a little over 2 miles) keeps the "Y", but cuts out the long hairpin in favor of a sharper corner just past the Esses, and the motorcycle pits use the Hairpin area for their pit entrance....

It looks like the IRL track will incorporate aspects from the NASCAR course (cutting out the "Y" and using a stretch of straightaway that removes one of the esses) and the sharper corner from the motorcycle circuit....

Thus the 1.77 mile configuration....

Personally, I wish they would have run the Full course, but I'm sure that runoff areas (or lack thereof...especially with the hairpin) and other considerations were made that ultimately led to this configuration....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 3 Aug 2004 at 19:36.

Old 3 Aug 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1055463)   #31
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I caught a quick video clip on Windtunnel last night, with AJ Foyt, and he said he may NOT show up for the road races, due to safety concerns.

Could this be a potential problem in the making?

The way I understood it, both places will be making changes per their discussions with the IRL to alleviate some safety concerns the IRL had with both places....

I'm sure that those cahnges will be made, and that any concerns the teams have can be alleviated....

I don't see it being an issue...especially since both events are more than a year away....

Old 3 Aug 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1055697)   #32
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just think ol' AJ has just enough problems turning left for two hours...

I'm sorry, that not funny I know.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 03:34 (Ref:1055756)   #33
'70 Mach 1
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, CA. USA
'70 Mach 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, got my e-mail newsletter from Infineon Raceway this afternoon with the IRL news ...

$75 for a weekend pass (how does that compare to other venues?) ... Looking forward to being there.

I wonder what other series' will be there as support races? (Is the IPS going road racing eventually as well?)
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1056325)   #34
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt IPS is going road racing, or even if it will exist next year in the same format. As far as the IRL going riad racing I feel they have taken the correct approach visiting two great road courses here in the United States, but I would honestly prefer to se more road races as there really is no point to having only two.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1056336)   #35
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenoch
I doubt IPS is going road racing, or even if it will exist next year in the same format. As far as the IRL going riad racing I feel they have taken the correct approach visiting two great road courses here in the United States, but I would honestly prefer to se more road races as there really is no point to having only two.
The IPS will go road racing next year and may run some stand alone events not tied to ICS.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 18:36 (Ref:1056403)   #36
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the IPS schedule been realesed or are speking of pure speculation.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 19:09 (Ref:1056436)   #37
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Team Owner's background with the Series and the many contacts he has as froiends and acquaintances in the Series would tell me that this is more than speculation...

and I have no idea whether or not the IPS season has been released

When he has told us things of this nature in the past, they have come to pass...

For whatever that is worth to you...

Old 4 Aug 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1056495)   #38
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenoch
I would honestly prefer to se more road races as there really is no point to having only two.
Tell that to NASCAR, who's success with this format can hardly be argued. It also worked well for IndyCars, back in the pre-CART days to.

This is an oval based series, and IMHO, it needs to stay that way. Thats where the excitement comes from, the close action and the speed, and thats why we watch.

I'm OK with the 2 road courses they've chosen, and I'm smart enough to know that they will unfortunately, probably go to 4 eventually, but I certainly hope thats it though.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1056534)   #39
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
NOTE:

I just looked at the layout that they are using at Sears Point (Infineon) and not only is it rather unusual, but it is proabably the shortest configuration they have there....1.77 miles....

The full circuit is 2.5 miles long....

The NASCAR Circuit is just under 2-miles...it cuts out the section that makes the full circuit look like a "Y"....and it cuts out a couple of the "esses" on the backstretch area of the course...

The Motorcycle circuit (a little over 2 miles) keeps the "Y", but cuts out the long hairpin in favor of a sharper corner just past the Esses, and the motorcycle pits use the Hairpin area for their pit entrance....

It looks like the IRL track will incorporate aspects from the NASCAR course (cutting out the "Y" and using a stretch of straightaway that removes one of the esses) and the sharper corner from the motorcycle circuit....

Thus the 1.77 mile configuration....

Personally, I wish they would have run the Full course, but I'm sure that runoff areas (or lack thereof...especially with the hairpin) and other considerations were made that ultimately led to this configuration....

Now that I've had time to look at it and think about it...this layout makes a lot of sense for the IRL's first race there...

Sears Point is generally known as a fairly high downforce circuit with the longest straight-line being only about 1/4-3/8 of a mile...

What serves as a backstretch there is really a series of esses or sweepers that do not facilitate a lot of passing or great speed...

By going with the NASCAR portions of the track, this will create longer straight-line sections for the racers, and I'm assuming they used the motorcycle portions (instead of the hairpin) because they needed more runoff area than the hairpin provides (it has a solid wall on the outside, and there is no place to move that wall back farther) like the motorcycles do....

So for their purposes, it should be a good layout for the Series...

Old 5 Aug 2004, 01:48 (Ref:1056644)   #40
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are they considering a pair of races at Michigan?
Old 5 Aug 2004, 03:39 (Ref:1056672)   #41
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They used to do that at Atlanta *way* back, does anyone know what they were like? (I'm a little young for that, Infact, i'im not sure I was even born...)
Old 5 Aug 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1057019)   #42
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The promoter there feels that "Twin 200s" would create even more action and excitement for the fans by creating two races that would be more like sprints...both races would be full points races if the promoter gets what he is hoping for on this...

The IRL has not commented on whether or not they would enact it....

I think it would be something different....and I vaguely recall the twin races in Atlanta....I remember them to be pretty fast-paced with a lot of action...

But the IRL provides a lot of action already....

One thing it would do is reduce the possibilities for a "fuel-economy" type of race in either event....

Old 5 Aug 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1057035)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm dead against it.

Having two winners just sends out a mixed message to the casual fans reading reports in the papers.

IndyCar races should be a single "big event".
Old 5 Aug 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1057092)   #44
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Just to be clear, the esses at Sears Point are very fast. On warm tires the LMP1s don't drop below 120 mph in race trim, and don't drop below 130 in qualifying trim.

Cornering speeds would not be that different at the hairpin, regardless of the type of car. An IndyCar hitting the barrier would be like an LMP675 doing the same, in terms of impact forces.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 15:16 (Ref:1057111)   #45
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm looking forward to Sears and Watkins already.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1057133)   #46
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The point I was making was that the speed in the esses would not be as great as the straighter line they will run on the NASCAR straight, and the ability to pass in the esses....I think they went to that NASCAR course straight to make the opportunity to pass along that straight a possibility....

Sorry if I inferred that the esses were a "slow" section of the course, because they are not....I agree with you on that, Purist...

and the only reason why I can guess that they went to the motorcycle course turn from that straight is because it does provide room for more runoff....

Both of those are total speculation on my part...

Old 17 Aug 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1069377)   #47
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is turning into the "rumor that couldn't die" - from Robin Miller's latest piece (posted yesterday, August 16th);

Quote:
IRL TO ST. PETE
The IRL will announce its initial street race at St. Petersburg, Fla. sometime next week. Going road racing for the first time in 2005 at Watkins Glen, N.Y. and Sonoma, Calif., the all -oval series will also go to the purpose-built street circuit that CART competed on in 2003.

It's believed the date will be early April of 2005.
Source: http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/12499/

Personally I will believe it when I see it announced as an addition to the 2005 schedule...
Old 19 Aug 2004, 15:07 (Ref:1071632)   #48
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmhhh from all-oval to both road and street, it seems a bit too audacious to me.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1071651)   #49
Kicking-back
Veteran

Speed have picked that story up from Autosport - it sounds reliable to me.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1071653)   #50
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've said it before and I'll say it again - St. Pete's is one of the very few street circuits I wouldn't mind one bit seeing on the schedule.

I will, however (and as said above), believe it when I see something officially announced.