Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 17 Nov 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1156056)   #26
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Lucy welcome to ten tenths, I have raced at combe on and off for two seasons now and have been testing there for 4 years. It's a fantastic circuit to race on, although we have long straights it's the bumps on the circuit you have to contend with especially coming into quarry corner!

I must admit though that when I have been spectating (due to illness) I have always thought that it looks much easier to drive than it actually is.

If you want to drive around castle combe book yourself in for a 'become a race driver for the day' (used to be £125)
this allows you to use a formula ford race car fully prepared by Castle combe along with instruction.

Great day out and got me started in racing!

Let me know if you need some more details

Tiptop
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1156947)   #27
MightyMiniMan
Rookie

MightyMiniMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good circuit... Raced there last year in my Mighty Mini...

Thought it was a bit Cheeky asking payment from spectators to gain entry to Paddock though...What ever happened to taking motorsport to the people.. Screw them on the entry fee with **** facilities, etc.. And then hit them again !!

Just not Cricket!! eh what what
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1156950)   #28
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Combe is the only circuit that still charges for paddock access - other than at big meetings at which other circuits do too.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1156991)   #29
Emma B
Rookie

Emma B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MightyMiniMan, the facilities are constantly upgraded, and the circuit appreciate any feedback (either good or bad), so they can be looked at and improved accordingly.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1156996)   #30
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Emma B
<snip>Unfortunately, the circuit has encountered lots of problems on the noise front, just look at last week's MN and you will see that there is a Noise Nuisance Order being served on the circuit following some problems with this year's British GT's. <snip>
Has anyone got a copy/link to this report?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 12:55 (Ref:1157002)   #31
keithsekree
Rookie

keithsekree should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Emma - I took my granddad to the last race and the poor old chap (he's into his 90's!) found the hill at Quary quite hard to get up. Any chance of a Stannah Stairlift (Turbo model preferably) in place for next year? k
Old 18 Nov 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1157157)   #32
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
paul the report was on page 6 of last weeks motorsports news not,thats much use to you now! it basicly said that the gt's run at 118db at most circuits except for combe mondello, croft and knockhill where they'd try to run at 114db the problem at combe was the wind direction was toward the village concerned with some of the gt's running at over 123db it sounded as loud there as it did at the circuit,the usual wingers complained and now the council want to slap a 108db limit for the gt f3 meeting.which means its now under threat as the teams say running at that could the engines.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 07:11 (Ref:1157718)   #33
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I undestand you cannot run GT's and F3 cars at 108dB hence if the noise abatement order comes into force and the circuit do not contest it then that will be the end of any serious/professional racing at Castle Combe.
Given that all the other meetings run to a very rigid 108dB the GT meeting is only for 2 or 3 days at most.
I really do think it pathetic that people who buy homes at cheap prices because they are close to a circuit then complain about the noise. I used to live on the Heathrow flight path and that really is noisy all day every day, yet no noise abatement order.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 07:27 (Ref:1157727)   #34
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don’t hear them complaining about the about of money and employment the circuit brings to the area? What is there locally if Combe closes? Mod site up the road (SKYNET) and Lyneham if it stays open?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1158006)   #35
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gixxer
paul the report was on page 6 of last weeks motorsports news not,thats much use to you now! it basicly said that the gt's run at 118db at most circuits except for combe mondello, croft and knockhill where they'd try to run at 114db the problem at combe was the wind direction was toward the village concerned with some of the gt's running at over 123db it sounded as loud there as it did at the circuit,the usual wingers complained and now the council want to slap a 108db limit for the gt f3 meeting.which means its now under threat as the teams say running at that could the engines.
There was only one car that tested that high, and it was not allowed out in free practice for that reason.
It did not however, return to that level (124dB) for the rest of the event.

This car was also removed from the first race as the noise level had increased too much.

The Morgan was asked to run silencers after free practice, and did so from then on.

The Cup cars would not have much problem attaining 108dB, the N-GT cars should be able to drop by at least 3-6dB. The range was from 107dB upwards.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1158043)   #36
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
the problem being that most of the property around combe is very expensive and its people with plenty of wedge who think because of this can throw their weight around.What i find really annoying apart from these people trying to ruin our sport is how selfish this minorty are which are happy to take free hads from the circuit but want to give b*****r all in return.
To be honest i feel the council are as much to blame as the wingers they've also gone out of their way in the past to make life diffcult as without combe life would be very different for local pubs,hotels,charitys,just a pity north wilts dc have such a blinkered veiw
Old 2 Dec 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1169603)   #37
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I love the place! awsome fast corners just really really bumpy!! can you see how bumpy it is from outside the circuit? the best corner has to be Camp! nearly 4th gear in a Formula Ford, just mega! last time I was there I was lucky enough to be in a formula Ford with a datalogger. it was showing 96 on the apex at camp!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1172448)   #38
Lucylu
Rookie

Lucylu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you love combe Mattray! I got to say it looks great from my view watching you guys go round camp I love it!! One day Ill get to do it myself
Old 7 Dec 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1173530)   #39
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's quite simply a fantastic place.

I have been sesting there during this year and aim to be out in the Castle Combe Saloons at some point next year all being well...

Matt is right, you can't see just how bumpy it is from the sidelines, but it all adds to the fun!

Camp corner is just fantastic. My first ever trip to a race circuit was to Castle Combe while the Boss formula were there. Best memory was coming out of the Avon Tyre Bridge to see a 1995 Jordan spinning towards me! Fab stuff!!!

That said, the noise restrictions are a bit harsh. Locals get free season passes, what more do they want? I expect the noise from the M4 every single day has to be worse?
Old 11 Dec 2004, 19:17 (Ref:1177179)   #40
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattray
I love the place! awsome fast corners just really really bumpy!! can you see how bumpy it is from outside the circuit? the best corner has to be Camp! nearly 4th gear in a Formula Ford, just mega! last time I was there I was lucky enough to be in a formula Ford with a datalogger. it was showing 96 on the apex at camp!
Did you ever race on the old circuit?at that time paddock was a real balls in your throat corner flat out if you had them,but many tried amd failed but you had to be really brave,a mate tried it made it but never did it again pity the circuit was changed really but safety always comes