Old 24 Jan 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1208682)   #26
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
L-B - I had a very good run from Oban up to Fort William last February, then explored the roads around there - they were excellent.

I'm off to Argyll next weekend, the Loch Fyne area - so hopefully there will be some good driving roads around there.
There should be, its not an area I know well mind you. I have been over the rest and be thankful from Loch Lomand to Inverary but unfortunately I was asleep at the time (in the passenger seat) From what I have heard its nothing like as good/bad as it used to be. I have also gone from Lochgilphead down to the Mull of Kintyre and that was pretty good fun. I haven't even seen the roads on the south side of Loch Fyne at all.

I can remember a story from a few years back that maybe urban myth, but you never know. The armed forces play with submarines all around the Clyde estuary and up the Lochs around it, they come up here too though no-one really knows that officially (noid nod wink wink), apparently its good for shallow navigation.

The road along Loch Fyne is pretty close to the shore anyway back in the 70's or so a bus was heading into Lochgilphead having picked up a few kids ( who of course automatically headed to the back seat) As It was driving along a misfired (thankfully dud) torpedo from a submarine came bouncing up the beach and across the road and straight through the side of the bus splitting it in two, driver in one half , the four kids or so that had been collected in the other, No one was hurt. So when you are driving along keep half an eye on the loch you never know what might happen
Old 24 Jan 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1208690)   #27
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually that was Loch Long not Loch Fyne since on further thinking thats where the torpedo range was/is ( still on the A83 mind you)
Old 25 Jan 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1209304)   #28
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just remembered another fine road. Over the sea to Ulster.

The road along Torr Head on the north Antrim coast.

Drove this in anger on the Circuit of Ireland back in 197?. Narrow but fast with plenty of jumps. I seem to remember that the car was in the air more often that having all four wheels in contact with the ground. Did the rear shockers in!

I have been told that the scenery is great as well but, understandably I was not looking at that!!
Old 31 Jan 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1213892)   #29
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the A5 from Betws-y-Coed in North Wales. Unfortunately, I think there are a few cameras as it's notorious for bikers who recommend it to each other through their websites, kind of like what we're doing!
Old 31 Jan 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1213976)   #30
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a great B road off the A5 up towards Mold and Ruthin. Can't remember which it is, but it's part of the 'triangle' evo magazine uses (so watch yer mirrors!).
Old 1 Feb 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1214891)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got back from Argyll.

Some great driving to be had on the run down from Inverary to Tarbet, and similarly down the road through Strachur to Dunoon.

Came back via Helensburgh - the A814 down to there is very twisty and very up and down - which was great until I came round a blind corner and had to jump on everything to avoid a white van who was half way across my lane as he cut the corner coming towards us!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1215430)   #32
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Been a good thread this - inspired me to fish my Alfa out of the garage for a blast up to the coast and along the coast road.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1215555)   #33
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm lucky because when I go out of my front door only if I go in a westerly direction is the choice of road a poor one - sitting in a nose-to-tail traffice jam isn't my idea of fun.

However, going in an easterly direction takes me along the A57, Snake Pass, towards Sheffield, northely direction A6024, Torside, to join the A628, Woodhead road, again going towards Sheffield and finally in a southerly direction A624 towards Chapel-en-le-Frith.

The latter three directions take you through the Peak District National Park.

Old 2 Feb 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1215566)   #34
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hardknott and Wrynose pass gets my vote but the Abergwesyn to Tregaron
mountain road comes a close second.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1217030)   #35
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havent driven on many roads but im quiet a fan of the A456 Tenbury Wells into Birmingham.
Also I may stand alone here but i enjoy A38 Bromsgrove down to Junction 1 at the M50.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1217553)   #36
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to Welshpool, in wales on a big ride out (On a Motorbike, not a car!) the roads around there were amazing, few too many caravans for cars though!
Old 16 Feb 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1227210)   #37
zzpza
Rookie

Russian Federation
basingrad
zzpza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
But for a challange you should try The Hardknott Pass and then Wrynose Pass in the Lake District, its a single track right the through the middle of the lakes and its very steep and twist but great fun.
One of my all time fav roads. I've been along there about 20 times now in about 4 different cars. Unfortunately I've never taken the same passenger along there more than once. For some reason they never want to go a 2nd time...

When I did my Land's End to John O'Groats trip two roads really stuck out in my mind. Sorry I don't know the numbers, but the road along the side of Loch Ness (heading north) and the very long and windy road along the very easterly coast of Scotland about 30 miles out from John O'Groats. The locals really know how to drive. I was driving a friends 735i and it's not really built for twisty narrow roads, but can hussle when it needs to (as long as it's dry!) so I put on a good show for the natives and didn't embarrass myself. )

Jules.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1227221)   #38
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd like to add the B3051 in Hampshire between Kingslclere and Overton, a 2 mile dead straight followed by 3 left and 3 right bends, awsome on a bike !!

And then the road from Overton into the back of Basingstoke nice long bends, ok if you don't get stuck behind anyone!!
Old 16 Feb 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1227254)   #39
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzpza
Sorry I don't know the numbers, but the road along the side of Loch Ness (heading north) ...
That's the A82, runs from Glasgow north to Fort William then along the lochs to Inverness. It gets even better north of Loch Ness, over Rannoch Moor and through Glen Coe.

In fact one of my more memorable drives in my rally boy Impreza (blue, gold wheels, deeply sad but I loved it at the time!) was a blast from Fort William back to Glasgow at dusk. I'd better not tell you how, er, little time it took.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1227295)   #40
zzpza
Rookie

Russian Federation
basingrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
That's the A82, runs from Glasgow north to Fort William then along the lochs to Inverness. It gets even better north of Loch Ness, over Rannoch Moor and through Glen Coe.
That's it! I deliberately went via Fort William so I could drive along the side of the loch. Then joined the A9 toward John O'Groats. When you've been in a car for 20 hours straight with only two drivers, it's all a bit of a haze as to where you've been.

Jules.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1227343)   #41
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I have too say I did enjoy the roads around Knockhill.

Love the road if you turn left coming out of the Knockhill main entrance. Know it like the back of my hand!

I've been the road to Castle Douglas several times, A713, some beautiful lochs down that way, some nice open stretches where you find yourself doing speeds you shouldn't!
Old 17 Feb 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1228881)   #42
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Back Roads From Weston Super Mare to Bath. I know you all probably don't rate the MX5 too highly - but on a summer day with a good tune on the CD and the top down, it makes that route glorious fun.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 01:15 (Ref:1228918)   #43
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having learned to ride a motorbike around the Moffat area in Dumfriesshire they some of my favourite roads. Can still remember the feeling of the first time I hit 70mph on a bike and held it through a corner.

Now one of my favourite roads is the Loch Lommond road up to Lochgilphead. Travel that way regularly and its a good road. After lochgilphead to Oban don't like it. Wasn't that stretch recently voted one of the worst roads in Scotland?

Last edited by Grahame West; 18 Feb 2005 at 01:16.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1229021)   #44
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=rdjones]I have too say I did enjoy the roads around Knockhill.

But for a challange you should try The Hardknott Pass and then Wrynose Pass in the Lake District, its a single track right the through the middle of the lakes and its very steep and twist but great fun.

For a real, real challenge RD Jones - do them on a mountain bike, in both directions
Old 18 Feb 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1229216)   #45
zzpza
Rookie

Russian Federation
basingrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj79
Quote:
I have too say I did enjoy the roads around Knockhill.

For a real, real challenge RD Jones - do them on a mountain bike, in both directions
you psycho!!

j.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1229789)   #46
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Call it a challenge. Seriously - August 98, getting fit for a Mountain Biking holiday in Pyrenees. No girlfriend, no cigs, not enough cash for regular sessions.

...the way back was after stopping at the boozer at Boot...

Happy daze
Old 18 Feb 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1229803)   #47
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a442 from telford to some where outside which i cant tell you ........
i drove along it on my way to a friends the other day and some nice long straights and some nice long corners and sharp corners and i loved it !!!!!!
Old 25 Feb 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1235750)   #48
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the roads round North Wales are amazing - A5 from Oswestry to Bangor, driving from Bangor to Ty Croes (and not on the '55)...when I lived in Bangor last year I'd spend 5 hours at a time just driving round and finding little back roads.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1236156)   #49
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon

In fact one of my more memorable drives in my rally boy Impreza (blue, gold wheels, deeply sad but I loved it at the time!) was a blast from Fort William back to Glasgow at dusk. I'd better not tell you how, er, little time it took.
I know that road, the last time I was on it I was in the back of a Ford people carrier driven by a mad bloke from Liverpool and we had scary experience with a petrol tanker.............
Old 26 Feb 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1236846)   #50
mike_slh
Rookie

Denmark
Plymouth
mike_slh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The roads close to Goodwood are lovely,also Berkshire B roads are some of the best ive driven