Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1211651)   #26
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really think someone like Cristiano could help a mid-pack team - I think he could have helped Toyota if they would have known what the word "consistency" means. PKV, Jim McGee, Jimmy, and Cristiano could improve together as a team.

It would be really fun to see Cristiano v. Sebastien, and I believe we could see it even if he's at PKV.

Good luck to him and hopefully we'll hear something soon.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1211656)   #27
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM
ps, jjspierx....I agree that CdM would have to take a paycut but I'm not too sure if I agree with the "Champcar doesn't need CdM" statement. Right now, CC can use all the "name drivers" they can get, IMHO.
Or NHR could simply replace Junky with da Matta.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 06:37 (Ref:1211774)   #28
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of having a Chiristiano/Sebastian battle, but not when they are on the same team! For some reason, having rivals on the same team is kind of uncomfortable to me.

Christiano can help PKV a lot. And he can help them elevate to an elite status in the series.

In regards to sponsorship, realistically Christiano would end up at NHR because they are so good in securing sponsorships. I am not sure the PKV can do that. Maybe they can, but I have more confidence in NHR's staff.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1211775)   #29
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ Car needs an Allmendinger vs. ______ championship battle for the sake of the series. Any combination of Bourdais vs. Da Matta vs. Junqueria vs. Tracy will not generate that much hype for the series.

Last edited by StickShift; 28 Jan 2005 at 06:40.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 06:54 (Ref:1211780)   #30
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A battle between Bourdais and daMatta would be much more heated if they were on different teams. No firendly competition there.

As for Allmendinger, give him some time. You can't really choose a championship battle, you have to let it happen, although I agree that is the best way to get the U.S. audience.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1212041)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed jjspierx, CC is not F1. At this point it may not even be as popular as ALMS.

If we are talking of building the Series and improving the product, then it very much behooves CC to get CDM back rather than fill in the seat with some talented unknown or an untalented unknown with $$$.

For the purposes of rebuilding a fan base, one look no further than NASCAR to see how much the popularity is driven by driver fan base. For purposes of capturing the more serious fan of motor racing, the higher the quality of driver/team the better. Hence, ALMS for example is starting to attract someone like me because the cars are technically interesting and the drivers are (for that genre) top-notch.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 28 Jan 2005 at 14:40.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1212069)   #32
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having CDM back in the series is very important from a television standpoint. It will hopefully bring in more south american viewers (a market CC wants to return to), hopefully will bring in more european viewers that know him from toyota and F1, and he is a former champ car champion and somewhat of a name to North Americans (not like jeff gordon but someone open wheel fans know, and even that goes a long way).

If CDM comes back it will be the first time in many years that four champions will be in the series at the same time!
Old 28 Jan 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1212159)   #33
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best for "hype" would be AJ vs. PT. "The student challenging his teacher" or the "American future of open wheel vs. the wild vetern" are good storylines and both drivers are more easily palettable for the audience that finds difficulty sympathizing with forign drivers.

I definately agree that teams aren't going to run a loss to run CDM, but I the catch is that the series owner teams may. I'm sure PKV wouldn't pay CDM $5M, but I think they'd be willing to run at a loss rather than not have him in the series.

Last edited by Snrub; 28 Jan 2005 at 18:21.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1212163)   #34
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
The best for "hype" would be AJ vs. PT. "The student challenging his teacher" or the "American future of open wheel vs. the wild vetern" are good storylines and both drivers are more easily palettable for the audience that finds difficulty sympathizing with forign drivers.

I definately agree that teams aren't going to run a loss to run CDM, but I the catch is that the series owner teams may. I'm sure PKV wouldn't pay CDM $5M, but I think they'd be willing to run at a loss rather than not have him in the series.
The only thing OWRS would gain by having CDM back in Champcar is possibly the gaining a larger audience from South Amreica. Maybe it would be worth it if a HUGE amount of S. Americans starting watchin Champcar again. If not, I don't think having him back would draw any attention from Americans. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see CDM back, I've always liked him, but I don't think anybody except people like us who already watch Champcar, would really care too much.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1212183)   #35
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what would be cool to see would be an AJ vs RHR championship battle, regardless if they are on the same or different teams.

Unless some miracle happens, I doubt that this can happen this year, but maybe in a couple of years as they both develop.

That'll get American interest back! That is probably the only way, too.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 05:19 (Ref:1212454)   #36
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
Or NHR could simply replace Junky with da Matta.
I oughta whip you for that!
Old 29 Jan 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1212560)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jjspeirx makes a good point - the year da Matta won his title CART's viewing figures were low - there was not much casual fan interest.

Cristiano returning to the series may interest people who already watch it - but I don't see it bringing in new viewers.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1212594)   #38
Ă–bus
Rookie

Ă–bus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CDM + PKV = true. Deal is done.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1212615)   #39
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe there would be more interest if his presence resulted in a close championship battle rather than a one-sided outcome. 2002 was a very bad year for North American drivers as well, with only Pat and Jimmy in the top 10 - a situation unlikely to be repeated now that Paul's back at the top and AJ and Ryan have emerged.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1212630)   #40
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how many cars are PKV running?
Old 29 Jan 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1212657)   #41
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PKV are running two. Vasser and Da Matta.

Ryan Hunter-Reay has emerged? IMO, he is still leagues behind Allmendinger. If you discount Milwaukee, he actually had a very underwhelming season.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1212709)   #42
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From Obus:
CDM + PKV = true. Deal is done.
Quote:
From AR1's HomePage:
Da Matta signs with Champ Car team.
It's Saturday. Do you suppose they'll wait until Monday to make any kind of "official" announcement?
Old 29 Jan 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1212712)   #43
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHOA!! Does anyone subscribe to AR1 and if so can you please read the article??

I really hope they make the announcement before Monday...

I'd kind of like to be able to sleep this weekend.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1212722)   #44
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where does this leave Wirdheim and Dalziel?? Both of these young men deserve rides in CC and so does Valiante! I'm glad CDM is back home as he will make the fight for the championship that much more interesting.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1212765)   #45
BAR-Honda
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cardiff
BAR-Honda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was made for racing in the states, F1 made him look silly, which we all know he isnt. I hope he does well but also fear for his saftey after the Zanardi incident.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1212773)   #46
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
BAR-Honda:
I hope he does well but also fear for his saftey after the Zanardi incident.
???

Are you associating Zanardi's misfortune with the fact that he was returning from F1? I've heard this suggested a couple of times now, and it boggles my mind. There have been serious injuries in F1 also, wouldn't one also fear for his safety there? Perhaps he should do some testing for a taxi company in rural-Arkansas. A town with one stoplight. He'd be safer.

Last edited by macdaddy; 29 Jan 2005 at 20:38.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1212782)   #47
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I was hoping to see some talented new blood in at PKVR I can't be too sad about their signing damatta. He is a proven talent a significantly raises the profile of the series. Here's hoping the team is able to provide him a competitive car; which I think they can.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 29 Jan 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1212802)   #48
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightline
Having CDM back in the series is very important from a television standpoint. It will hopefully bring in more south american viewers (a market CC wants to return to), hopefully will bring in more european viewers that know him from toyota and F1, and he is a former champ car champion and somewhat of a name to North Americans (not like jeff gordon but someone open wheel fans know, and even that goes a long way).
Does CC have a tv-deal for Brasil? I think cdm could indeed help ratings over there. Don't agree with you on europe and US, imo he won't attract viewers over there.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1212823)   #49
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Are you associating Zanardi's misfortune with the fact that he was returning from F1? I've heard this suggested a couple of times now, and it boggles my mind. There have been serious injuries in F1 also, wouldn't one also fear for his safety there? Perhaps he should do some testing for a taxi company in rural-Arkansas. A town with one stoplight. He'd be safer.
Precisely. What happened to Zanardi was a freakish incident. By the way, da Matta hasn't been out of racing for long, so he's unlikely to struggle to get back to competitiveness the way Alex did. In reality he should be as quick as Jimmy if he gets the drive.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1212862)   #50
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Zanardi's early efforts with Mo Nunn were due to his abilities or recent inactivity. More likely it was down to being in a new team and working with a new engineer. Shorty may experience similiar teething pains with a new team and engineer.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"