Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Jun 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1328888)   #26
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really hope the ACO do re consider their stance regarding this matter, if they dont however it will only make series like FIA GT all the more appealing for GT1 and GT2 teams as the series isnt subject to the ACO's whims. Just as things were beginning to look good in sportscar racing and the balance was reasonably happy the ACO have to come along and start playing with things again. A real shame.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 01:39 (Ref:1328900)   #27
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't it similar to FIA GT success ballast?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1328970)   #28
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ANY ballast in a car in any series to try to slow it down is wrong. If a car has been built within the rules and is faster than the rest then that team has done the best job. To try and prop up older or slower cars by hobbling the best is plain wrong.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1328976)   #29
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Jag:
I was told to EXPLAIN my post (it is odd that people from the Continent that brought us Dalli and Picasso, some things must be reduced to half-tones) any way, it was designed to make one think, about the obvious, blah,blah,blah...
SO:
The first cartoon represents the pot being caught calling the kettle black (You are correct the FIA really has bozo rules that are just as pointless as the ACO), and the kettle having a har-har-har, because one really cannot complain loudly about the ACO and tout the FIA as superior.
The second cartoon represents Rodney's famous "Can't, can't, can't we all just get along" farcecal statement.
The Third shows, hell no, why, the pot and kettle are both still black, what would be the point, eat-drink-and be merry, for tomorrow your soul may be required of you.

OR something like that.

While we often have differing opinions Jag, I seriously doubt "fully" understanding any post is the among your true concerns of life, but heeeere's ...

Bob
Old 15 Jun 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1329706)   #30
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Isn't it similar to FIA GT success ballast?
Except that success ballast is set to zero at the start of the season.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jun 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1329722)   #31
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Yes, and that if a car that has maximum ballast dosent finish in the top 3 for a few races the ballast is removed, perhaps not all but a lot of it.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1329770)   #32
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Jag:
I was told to EXPLAIN my post (it is odd that people from the Continent that brought us Dalli and Picasso, some things must be reduced to half-tones) any way, it was designed to make one think, about the obvious, blah,blah,blah...
SO:
The first cartoon represents the pot being caught calling the kettle black (You are correct the FIA really has bozo rules that are just as pointless as the ACO), and the kettle having a har-har-har, because one really cannot complain loudly about the ACO and tout the FIA as superior.
The second cartoon represents Rodney's famous "Can't, can't, can't we all just get along" farcecal statement.
The Third shows, hell no, why, the pot and kettle are both still black, what would be the point, eat-drink-and be merry, for tomorrow your soul may be required of you.

OR something like that.

While we often have differing opinions Jag, I seriously doubt "fully" understanding any post is the among your true concerns of life, but heeeere's ...

Bob
Who told you to explain it?

I just took it as one of your very entertaining rants at modern motor racing.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1329774)   #33
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Maybe the same will happen here, but on a year to year basis.

Doubt if the ruling will last. Another white lines farce.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 05:09 (Ref:1330062)   #34
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Who told you to explain it?
I did.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1330144)   #35
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Maybe the same will happen here, but on a year to year basis.

Doubt if the ruling will last. Another white lines farce.
i wish you were right, but the ACO sounds very serious about this one... we shall see what comes of this, maybe i'm just thinking the worst.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1330154)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've noted that fior some reason, this thread, has been given a 'thumbs down' rating, but the subject is a good one, worthy of comment so I'm a bit perplexed. Perhaps the rating is aimed at some of the posts; I must confess that, as an intellectually challenged and inarticulate European, I struggled to decipher a few! Anyway, I will rate it better to see if it gets rid of that 'thumbs down'!

Good old ACO! Simply put, it seems ridiculous to allow cars to be built to a set of regs. for racing and then propose that they cannot race at the speeds they are capable of. 'Racing' is the operative word here; it is their raison d'etre; they were not built for time trials or economy runs! Any attempt at artificially reducing the performance of these beautiful GTs is just sacrilege, apart from defeating the object of the whole exercise in the first place.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1330169)   #37
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I will rate it better to see if it gets rid of that 'thumbs down' !
Three stars now... certainly due to your own credit

Last edited by Fab; 16 Jun 2005 at 09:12.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1330176)   #38
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Note that fuel samples have been done on the Bouchut's Ferrari yesterday eve... the car was suspected to be too fast...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1330223)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
The strange thing is Fab, really strange I mean is that im actually a little bit suprised by what you just said. If the ACO stopped tweaking the regulations every 6 months or so and just left things the way they are for a while I think the LM 24hrs would attract considerably more manufacturers than what it has done in recent years.

The main reason I prefer series like FIA GT and races like the Spa 24hrs, apart from the races being aimed at GT's is the fact that to a degree the rule's remain the same for a few years normally then have a bit of tweaking.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1330372)   #40
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saleen S7R

Have to agree with you 100%, the key to any stable successful series is well defined regulations that have a known lifespan.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1330458)   #41
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
The strange thing is Fab, really strange I mean is that im actually a little bit suprised by what you just said. If the ACO stopped tweaking the regulations every 6 months or so and just left things the way they are for a while I think the LM 24hrs would attract considerably more manufacturers than what it has done in recent years.
Agree ! ACO's pretty hard to follow... A shame is that some of their decisions might be good, but in the bunch what's good and what's not ?

Do you want a confession ? Right now ? I'm tired of ACO... and I heard some things in the pitlane this year I didn't like too...

But things beeing as they're now... I'm just a poor sod in the attendance, I pay my ticket, if I'm not pleased, I can beat it...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:41 (Ref:1330554)   #42
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What have you heard Fab?
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1330586)   #43
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira
What have you heard Fab?
Sorry, can't write it there... (it was just related to some gentleman driver behavior and ideas... nothing to do with ACO)
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1330675)   #44
ClearHooter
Rookie

United States
Shelby NC USA
ClearHooter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing used to mean the fastest, most durable, best driven, most inovative, best handling car won. I suppose if I have a problem with racing today its this is no longer the case. Its not just in this form of the sport its almost all forms of the sport. They've been doing at LeMans since FORD dominated in the late '60s. Drag racing has brackett racing. A really bad joke. NASCAR's been doing it with spoilers, heights, restrictor plates and displacements for years. They say they do it for safety and competition sake but bunching cars up at over 140 + mph doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1331068)   #45
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
Sorry, can't write it there... (it was just related to some gentleman driver behavior and ideas... nothing to do with ACO)
Fab I think you need to chill out and enjoy yourself
Old 16 Jun 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1331077)   #46
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes but JAG - unlike some of us here a lot of us would like to see what GT1 cars are really able to do, without the regulations being tweaked as soon as one of the cars in class shows signs of being anywhere near the LMP cars.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1331122)   #47
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Yes but JAG - unlike some of us here a lot of us would like to see what GT1 cars are really able to do, without the regulations being tweaked as soon as one of the cars in class shows signs of being anywhere near the LMP cars.

Thats the point though, they are nowhere near.

Hence why I believe the rule will be scrapped.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1331780)   #48
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's nice to read that Autosport's Gary Watkins shares views with this forum - his article in latest Autosport also saying that the 3:55 rule is something of a farce, considering it "one of the more bizarre pieces of rule-making" from the ACO. Also stating how it's not doing the GT1 class any good, particularly since it's a class in growth at the minute.

Seems it's the ACO on their own with these rules...
Old 17 Jun 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1331789)   #49
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Lets hope then that the ACO realise this and that they change their minds over this. If there is enough pressure applied on the ACO then they will surley have to act.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1339793)   #50
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
too bad ACO has introduced this rule because it totally wipes out the spectacle of flat out racing in what is one of, if not the best class in ACO competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
IMO, all attempts at enforced equalisation are thoroughly bad for the sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
ANY ballast in a car in any series to try to slow it down is wrong. If a car has been built within the rules and is faster than the rest then that team has done the best job. To try and prop up older or slower cars by hobbling the best is plain wrong.
I agree wholeheartedly with these three posts.

I have always been against artificail 'levellers' in all forms of motorsport. The whole point of a race is to find which car/driver/team combination can do the best job in a given set of circumstances. Set the technical rules, see what teams come up with and let them get on with racing what they have brought. If one combo is quicker, then the others have to catch up. If another class that should be quicker isn't, then that's tough (or change the 'quicker' class' rules).

I'm an Aston fan, but I'd rather see the Corvettes beat them and know that it was a fair straight fight, than see Aston's win in a situation that has been created by weight or restrictor fiddles.

I hope the ACO see sense soon. I've always given them a bit more credit than the FIA for doing so (not that that is difficult!).