Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Jun 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1332365)   #26
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thankfully today a nice sunny day.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1332412)   #27
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I've heard that some tires went missing which was the problem.
http://www.oregonlive.com/motorsport...700.xml&coll=7
Old 19 Jun 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1332571)   #28
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Im currently adding the starting grid
Old 19 Jun 2005, 00:12 (Ref:1332573)   #29
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool, two flaggers for the race on the forum. Please keep us posted about anything of interest. Even if it's not that exciting to you, if it offers us insights into how things work or things are going on behind the scenes, I'm sure we'd like to hear about it.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1332690)   #30
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit of bad luck for Wirdheim.
Since he didn't know the track they chose to not use the soft tires during the first qualifying since they wanted him to build up as much experience on the track as possible to be able to maximise the use of those tires during the second qualifying. Too bad the track was slower during Q2 so he couldn't improve his grid position as he was the only one not running on softs in Q1.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1332732)   #31
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He should have some good race pace then and we can look foward to him coming through the pack.

Good to see some new 'stickers' on some of the cars, Intel with Rusport and DCR with a new sponsor which I didnt quite catch the name of.

Looks like a great race. Wilson looks sublime and will be hard to touch, but I'm a bit of an AJ fan so maybe he can put one over his teamate. Bourdai is also dangerous lurking in p5.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1332740)   #32
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some great efforts there - Justin has showed great pace all weekend, Glock was again well clear of RHR, and Tag is pushing Walker close to the front. It's also nice to see Bremer in the top half despite missing Friday (all of which makes the Wirdheim coment sound like a petty excuse and a misguided strategy). I didn't realise Valiente had started another race, when was that?
Old 19 Jun 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1332771)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ryan Hunter Reay's really off the boil isn't he?

Well done to Wilson.

Boots - Valiente drove at Mexico City last year, I seem to recall.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1332826)   #34
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting tidbit, in that Tracy has never won in Portland.

How much impact have the track changes had on lap times?
Fastest qualifier:
2003 58.793
2004 59.229
2005 57.597
Old 19 Jun 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1332843)   #35
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the official website it had a pole, who do you wish to see win the race at Portland.

A RuSPORT 1-2 won by a mile, don't want to say anything to soon but there's a good chance it can happen.

Didn't see the qualfying unfortunately but I have a felling Tracy will win, he looks in good shape.

We could have 4 different winners in 4 races
Old 19 Jun 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1332848)   #36
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's nice to see a shakeup at the front, even if the conditions didn't allow for quicker times on Saturday. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing AJ win, Bourdais will be very dangerous I think. He has been quick all weekend, just not when he needed it.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Jun 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1332851)   #37
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The start will be interesting. PT has a considerable edge on AJ on the starts - so he should immediately be on Justin's tail. We'll see how Justin reacts. Of course, PT used the chrome horn on Justin last year in Torontah. Repeat?

Nice race day overall - get to watch how the Michelins do in F1 and then watch the RUSport boys in the city of roses. Now that gentlemen - is a good Father's Day!

Go Ranger and Valiante!!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1333837)   #38
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't seem to find another thread on this race...people did watch it right?

Great job da Matta, the last three champions in the top 3. Shame for Wilson, but hey.

Ooh, Cleveland next, my favourite.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 01:13 (Ref:1333894)   #39
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it was a nice podium. Heartbreaker for Wilson. Now he knows how Tag must have felt back when he drove for Forsythe! Very solid drive by Valiante who moved half way up the grid! Wish they'd shown more of it on TV.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1333951)   #40
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Congratulations Cristiano! Welcome back to ChampCar!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 02:50 (Ref:1333968)   #41
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great for Cristiano, and what an awesome surprise to come home from the USGP depressed and turn on the tv to see him leading! I thought I must have been dreaming.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 04:58 (Ref:1334041)   #42
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Ranger once-again the highest-placing rookie (P7), and the only one on the lead lap.

Interesting that PT finished third, given that 9 drivers had faster race-laps than he did. Even Sperafico, who was sponsored by "Sonny's BBQ". I'm writing them a "thanks for supporting" email, especially as I notice that they have no locations in (or even near) Oregon!

Bourdais sets new record for "Fastest Race Lap". (59.923)

RuSport continues to impress me. They've got their act together as a team.
And PKV is really coming on strong now. Never underestimate Jim McGee!
(Or Cristiano!)

I'm happy for Servia that he got his "mechanical" after signing a contract, and not in Milwaukee!

Pretty good race, IMO. When Cristiano took the lead for the last stint, my Dad was sure that he would have to pit again. I'm so glad that mandatory stops aren't mandatory anymore! But Wilson was the class of the field. His was the only yellow on the day, and at one point he had built up a quite massive lead.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1334078)   #43
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ive added the race results and championship positions to the thread
Old 20 Jun 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1334516)   #44
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
My heart sank a little when Wilson went out, he really was the class of the field. Glad to see daMatta bring home a victory though.
Race all in all was OK. Kept me interested. If Rusport keep this up Wilson might end up being a solid championship contender.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 20 Jun 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1334557)   #45
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad luck for Justin, but these things happen. After events elsewhere, "that's motor racing" doesn't seem as glib as usual. Not the most exciting race, but at leadt it got a deserving and popular winner.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1334585)   #46
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, T12 wasn't as "interesting" on Sunday as it was on Saturday, when we had a close encounter with the Dominguez car during qualifying.

Me: "Control, this is 12, waving yellow. We have a Players car in the tires at the station."
Control: "Okay, got a number?"
Me: "Nope. I can't see over the tires!" (I'm short.)
After which I went up on my tiptoes, then climbed the Armco for a second look, checked the camera colour (Dominguez's is white, Tracy's is blue), and caught a glimpse of a yellow and blue helmet top. Yep, car 7.

Race control and starter threatened to go together on a box for me to stand on for raceday. Which, thankfully, I didn't need.

I did get to call cars into the pits for the race, which was interesting but meant I had to keep a complete lap chart in my notes at all times.

Of course, there's more, but I gotta pack up my mounds of laundry and get back home today. Next up for me, Edmonton. See some of you there, I hope!

keke
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1334711)   #47
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
A real shame Wilson didn't win, his out right pace was a winner even if he didn't win the actual race due to his gearbox.

Although a big well done to Da Matta on winnning, great to see him back in victory lane.

The fuel windows allowing drivers to pit when they want for out of squence pit stops has certainly made for entertaining races.

Four different winners in four different races isn't bad is it.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1334789)   #48
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
A big thumbs up has to go to Glock as well. After watching his onboard camera he deserves credit for being able to race that horribly handling Rocketsports car.
Fun to watch, probably not so fun to drive.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1334895)   #49
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The race was a tad dull, but I think it brought out two hugely important developments. RuSport and PKV were legitimately fast. That has huge implications to the future of the series. One of the biggest problems has been that not everyone could win, so the racing hasn't been as competitive as it could be. We're finally seeing new teams step up to NH and Forsythe levels.

CDM may have won because of a wacky fuel stratagy, but he had real pace. He didn't just get out in front, he created a huge gap. In my mind I have no problem with that kind of fuel stratagy. Having the windows would have crippled CDM despite him driving really well.

I think PT was a big factor in the outcome of the race. He seemed very slow and the car didn't look overly capable. I think he was holding up everyone behind him, so they reverted to saving fuel because the chances to pass were small. PT seemed to continue his earlier issues with the red tires, unable to drive substantially faster than with the blacks. I'm not sure if he was held up by backmarkers when Bourdais went by, but it didn't look particularly difficult for Bourdais. Also worth mentioning is that the PT's pit crew has been absolutely incredible this year.

AJ, what's going on with him? Other than Milwaukee, Wilson has had a BIG advantage. AJ performance was at the level we've come to expect from RuSport, but Wilson's car was really fast. It was an odd race in that there were 3 freak mechanical problems (Tag, Wilson, Servia).

Good point on Glock enemy-ace, that Rocketsports car was just evil! I don't know that I've ever seen a car that bad before.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1335107)   #50
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rocketsports lost Brian Ma who engineered Tag's car, and I am guessing that they just don't have anyone with enough CC experience to get the setups right. Tough to be Glock or particularly RHR right now as the performance is just not there.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the evil DHL machine, my recording of the race turned out to be audio only. Dang VCR!