Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Aug 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1381854)   #26
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Tag is practicing to be in Formula One -- when we were in the Silverstone paddock in '01 that was the common reaction to seeing proles in the paddock.

Good to hear that the race weekend is going well, and also good not to hear from the people who are convinced that what we see with our own eyes is not to be relied upon. I share your view of RHR; we kind of thought that when he was in Atlantics and I think if he were not American he would not have progressed as far as he has. Now that they have AJ I suspect RHR's days are numbered. Too bad, as he's a nice boy.

Did you see Bruno at all? I heard him on Race Director and he's sounding more cautious about racing again this year, but Jeremy Shaw said he was walking better than the last time they met.

Speed World Challenge is my favourite racing series and I am very glad they are doing races with CCWS so more people can see them. The racing is exciting, the drivers are friendly and approachable, and the cars are real cars that you can buy. If you haven't visited the SWC paddock you should go. The Bimmerworld Boys especially are a fun-loving crew and have not forgotten that racing is entertainment.

Last edited by Liz; 14 Aug 2005 at 12:02. Reason: Speed World Challenge
Old 14 Aug 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1381962)   #27
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
MARIO DOMINGUEZ SLOW THAT DAMN SCOOTER DOWN!
Mario Grew up and lives in Mexico City where people drive a whole lot different from the US specially people on scooters and motorcycles. My advice is avoid Mexico city.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1382240)   #28
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I see one more replay of PT's crash and Derick Daly's attempts to explain it, in super slow more one more time......
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1382262)   #29
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be interesting to hear what went on with the HVM pitstops. From fifth to 12th and one lap down (when everyone else gained a lap) for Wirdheim.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1382269)   #30
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oriol just didn't have the pace of the leaders today, but towards the race he gained the positions he lost in the start mess. 4th is excellent considering the lack of pace.

So sorry for Timo Glock, he drove beautifully!
Old 14 Aug 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1382270)   #31
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And some drivers, especially Andrew Ranger, did not notice the blue flags. A stance should be made clear here: either the lapped drivers can race the leaders as if nothing happens or either they must let them pass...
Old 14 Aug 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1382282)   #32
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
You can find the full race results and championship points HERE
Old 14 Aug 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1382313)   #33
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was one hell of a race Tracy clearly had a better car than anyone else, it looks like he came down with a case of AJ-itis. Mario did a great job and so did Sebastien who even though his team botched the first pit stop held off Mario and AJ for the victory.

That was the first denver race i have seen from beginning to end and I'm really impressed by that set up they got there, i might just have to swing by next year.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1382407)   #34
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzen
It'll be interesting to hear what went on with the HVM pitstops. From fifth to 12th and one lap down (when everyone else gained a lap) for Wirdheim.
According to the race-report on SpeedTV.com website, Wirdheim's crew called him in too early which lead to him losing a lap. Seems Wirdheim can't catch a bloody break this year.

Oh well, next up Montreal, a track he, for once, has visited before.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1382605)   #35
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspierx
If I see one more replay of PT's crash and Derick Daly's attempts to explain it, in super slow more one more time......
I actually felt like I could breathe again when they cut to the international feed during the commercial breaks -- Derek Daly wears on my nerves terribly. (I think he is getting a clue though, he did mention, during his blabbering about how the popoff valve moves around, complete with drawing lines all over the screen 'you are getting tired of this') Someone needs to make a big sign using the smiley with the tape over its mouth and put his name on it, and hold it up at all races.

I felt most sorry for Glock and I hope someone offers him a ride in a car that can actually be driven, next year. The man is very very quick. Tracy was complaining that he wouldn't move over, yet Glock was running the same speed as Tracy at the time! If Tracy does go off to NA$CAR, Forsythe ought to put Glock in his car. Or if NH runs three cars next year they ought to put him in Car 3 and not da Matta.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1382648)   #36
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot of people were really short of luck there, with the collision at turn 1 and the problems for Glock and Wirdheim. Mario made great use of P2P, and that really added something to the race. AJ and Lavin put in strong drives especialyl, while Servia somewhat rescueed his weekend by coming 4th.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1382723)   #37
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
If Tracy does go off to NA$CAR, Forsythe ought to put Glock in his car. Or if NH runs three cars next year they ought to put him in Car 3 and not da Matta.
Da Matta moving to Newman haas Racing? That is new to me.
Forsythe seems to be in need of cash, and Glock has money from DHL Global Mail and Deutsche Post, it would be good move.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1382863)   #38
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TSN broke for commercial at around lap 5 and came back at lap 25! I have no idea what happened during that period. How did Bourdais and Dominguez get by AJ? Presumably they passed...

Those who said that PT couldn't maintain his maturity for the whole season were vindicated on Sunday. He had an 11 second gap to Bourdais. He was either 1. Frustrated that he couldn't get by Glock for ego's sake or 2. He was losing at most a tenth a lap.

Dominguez certainly had an odd race. He's starting to get his pace back, but that mistake didn't exactly inspire confidence.

I'm getting more and more frustrated by the camera not being on more interesting scenerios. They just don't have a good idea of how to cover the race. jjspierx's points are extremely well taken.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1383131)   #39
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
TSN broke for commercial at around lap 5 and came back at lap 25! I have no idea what happened during that period. How did Bourdais and Dominguez get by AJ? Presumably they passed...
I'm glad we watched the race on Race Director. I was wondering how TSN was going to take a 2 hour 30 min show and fit it into a 2 hour time slot.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1383196)   #40
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
That's true... Tracy wasn't close enough to Glock to pass him.

On the other hand, according to Newman-Haas, Oriol's car had a hole in the sidepod caused by Tagliani's car which had been hit by da Matta. The team reckoned he had 200 to 300 lb of downforce less than normal, so I think that explains why he was about 1.5 seconds behind Sebastien's fastest lap.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1383207)   #41
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As for TSN, it really annoys me that I didn't get to see the AJ/Bourdais-Dominguez pass. As for the coverage in general it annoys me that guys like Wirdhiem rutinely pass during the races and I never get to see it.

You know considering it's layout Denver isn't a bad street circuit. It really is possible to pass there, although obviously it's not as easy as on a track like Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
On the other hand, according to Newman-Haas, Oriol's car had a hole in the sidepod caused by Tagliani's car which had been hit by da Matta. The team reckoned he had 200 to 300 lb of downforce less than normal, so I think that explains why he was about 1.5 seconds behind Sebastien's fastest lap.
I read that today as well. I'm willing to cut Servia some slack again. I think the bottom line is that Servia is going to have to do more than simply coast to a good finish if he wants to impress people. He really needs to grab that first win or at the very least out race Bourdais once or more (Milwaukee doesn't count because it's Bourdias' one weakness).
Old 15 Aug 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1383208)   #42
Liz
Veteran

The da Matta to NH third car thing was mentioned by someone on Race Director who was talking to Bruno, might have been Jeremy Shaw. He said there was talk of NH running three cars next year and putting either Oriol or da Matta in the third car. It may be just his speculation though.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 04:41 (Ref:1383277)   #43
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
For me that race was very boring. 2 of my 3 favorite drivers were out of the race on the first lap. (Wilson and da Matta)

The only driver left was Marshall and he is so slow. And to make the race even more boring Bourdais wins.

da Matta hasn't finished a race since he won at Portland.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1383700)   #44
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I'm getting more and more frustrated by the camera not being on more interesting scenerios. They just don't have a good idea of how to cover the race.
With an seemingly uninspired producer, camera-men who fail to actually follow what's happening in their camera lens (Hello Mr. Cameraman, when a car slides across the track it might be a good idea to PAN THE CAMERA!) and a seemingly appalling lack of cameras around the track, I reckon one just have to learn to live with it.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1384005)   #45
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TSN did show the pass by Dominguez on Allmendinger close to the end (and a very nice one it was too), but I think we missed some stuff in the middle. I recall thinking the cars were in different positions after a commercial break than before it and nothing was said.

The only thing I really took away from this race was that I think Safety 2 should have sent a larger guy to corral PT!

keke
Old 17 Aug 2005, 03:37 (Ref:1384249)   #46
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 ITV coverage is really good at showing every pass, and I wish champ cars would get the cameras it needs to do that, and then do it. Edmonton featured a great nose to tail five car battle for 12th that was not shown on TV...

And someone really needs to take that teletype thing away from Derek Daly. The lines he drew were generally pointless and meaningless. He did make me laugh during Bourdais' post race interview when without saying a word he wrote "Dad" and drew an arrow pointing out Sebastien's dad who was at the race. I can't wait until he starts drawing moustaches and glasses on people!
Old 17 Aug 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1384325)   #47
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I like Derek Daly , I think he is a very good commentator and a funny guy at that

each to their own I guess
Old 18 Aug 2005, 06:32 (Ref:1385276)   #48
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What an awesome, awesome event. I was completely blown away by just how good it was and it is clear this is now a major, established event in Colorado and it’s not going anywhere.

I don't believe I have ever been to a race as fan friendly as the Denver Grand Prix. Centrix and Champcar have put forth much effort so the fans feel a part of the action. The grandstands are close to the action, not miles away. It's easy to get from one part of the track to the other. Concessions and other vendors are within easy reach. Race cars are constantly on the track and when they are not, motorcycle stunt teams and drifters take over. The paddock is neatly laid out and one can stand three feet from tech inspection. Fan forums and autograph sessions are provided. Boxing, concerts and other stuff is going on when the sun goes down. Even the little things count for a lot, like custodians constantly on the prowl sweeping up debris to Chris Kniefel being in charge of the flowers.

With the huge increase in attendance, Champcar and Centrix are going to have to find a way to accommodate more fans and vendors. On race day, the concession stands were overwhelmed and they couldn’t cook the food fast enough to meet demand. Also, with the huge number of GA’s it looks like they are going to need to carve out some room for them.

Speedgear has some nice gear for sale and it seemed to move fast with many fans on race day sporting new shirts. I also liked the different Champcar accessories like the coolers($8) and seat cushions($7). The seat cushions are very nice and comfortable. Being the gentleman I am, I offered mine to one of the ladies I was with 15 laps into the race and I never saw it again until after the race! So she obviously liked it!

A lot of sponsors like Pacificare, Chick-Fil-A and Cytomax were using the event to push their products to race goers. Chick-Fil-A was handing out coupons at gate entry to fans which was nice especially considering I’m already a customer, as well as providing box lunches to track workers.

The start of race day was a downer for me, as Katherine Legge shunted. She rejoined later five laps down and I took great pleasure when she barged her way past Al Unser. It may not have counted for anything but no matter. The Atlantic series is a good championship and with all the new developments coming up for next year, it may be worth going to Champcar races just for the Atlantic race.

The Champcar race was a personal triumph for me as I am now five dollars richer. I made a bet with a good friend that Bourdais would win over Tracy. Somehow I just felt Tracy would not be able to handle the pressure and sure enough he couldn’t. Allmendinger was another one that I knew couldn’t take it and sure enough he got passed right at the end.

So, a good time was had by all. I can’t ever see going to an F1 race again, unless there is some critical need to do so. With the recent successes of San Jose, Edmonton and Denver, Champcar is on a roll.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 06:43 (Ref:1385281)   #49
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a good way to spend a weekend!
Old 18 Aug 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1385827)   #50
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great race at a fablous venue.

Even though the championship battle may have robbed us I say may, it was still a good race.

The Denver street event is now a well established event and hoepfully will play a part in long term.