Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Sep 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1415413)   #26
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
It's the next race on the calendar, and tickets aren't even on sale yet. I'm with Obus here - the race just ain't happening. So this means another month-long break after Vegas.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1415417)   #27
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a mad rush at the Gas Stations on thursday which was fueled by rumour and speculation (Hurricane Rita). I think I'll wait until the storm hits!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1415423)   #28
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
23 days until Race Day in Ansan. Link I posted on page one of the thread hasn't changed.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1415427)   #29
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Surprised nobody has linked this article.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=9663
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1415431)   #30
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
oops! Looks like it was.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1415436)   #31
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, enemy-ace, it was......that was the cause of my comment of not being able to get to the race track because of monsoon weather and got me curious enough to look it up on the CC website. That is the third of only three stories on Ansan listed at my link and the others were for groundbreaking stuff back in the early part of the year. There's been no information "flow."
Old 25 Sep 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1415962)   #32
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Anybody know Korean?

http://champ.paran.com/main/main.html
Old 25 Sep 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1415965)   #33
indycool
Veteran

It's just a one-liner near the bottom of the page, but Phillips says Ansan could be canceled as early as Monday......

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/19796/
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1416035)   #34
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Also informs us that, if (when) Ansan is cancelled, Bourdais will be crowned champion. The points differential cannot be overcome in two races.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1416244)   #35
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Quote:
while construction of the 1.9 street temporary circuit is virtually complete, the ancillary work leaves much – too much – to be desired. Specifically, grandstands, garages and medical facilities remain incomplete. And, as one wag suggested, most importantly, the sanctioning fee remains UN-paid...
SpeedTV article.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1416257)   #36
indycool
Veteran

The second one also talks about a rumor of double points for each of the last two races. Nice time to inform competitors of that one, if true.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1416260)   #37
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I've simultaneously started a new thread to discuss the possibility of a "double-points" race.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1416944)   #38
indycool
Veteran

Robin Miller on Ansan (and everything else, although he's seldom right on Ganassi.....I think Ganassi just jerks him around to have some fun):

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/champcar/auto/19815/
Old 26 Sep 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1416961)   #39
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Miller is right a lot more often than he's given credit for - or at least he is reporting on something that is substantive and he's filling in blanks. On filling in the blanks he's less often correct. Ganassi seems to have become very irratic, so it stands to reason that he'd be difficult to report on.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1416974)   #40
indycool
Veteran

Snrub, I sorta kinda disagree, although not entirely.

Both Robin and Mark C. dig deep to try to get into what Ganassi's doing and speculate wildly about it with their "secret sources." And with all the speculation they put forth about Ganassi, nothing different ever seems to happen.

Example: As justification for the Ganassi-to-CC theory, Miller now has a column on the CC website where he says Ganassi told Dave Phillips that he was "tired of visiting drivers in Methodist Hospital," goes on to say he wasn't happy with the IRL's '06 schedule and that he might run some CC races next year and has brought an old Lola back from Derek Daly's school. Mark C. tastelessly uses that to tut-tut Ganassi at his site, saying something about maybe Dixon's victory will spur Ganassi to go back to his love of road racing with CC. We hafta remember these are "Gang of Four" guys plus Mark C.

Two weeks ago, Ganassi was quoted elsewhere -- I believe the Indianapolis Star -- as saying that he wasn't returning to CC and even added, "let's not be cute about it...the answer's no."

Ganassi has had a rough season with all the crashes there. On the record, first person, not thirdhand, the only quote from Ganassi himself was in The Star. Now, that could theoretically change. But all of this "Sam told Harry's third cousin who told Sally's big sister" stuff isn't really "erratic" on Ganassi's part and IMO, Ganassi is having a good time with 'em calling attention to himself.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1417437)   #41
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is farcical. There's no way ChampCar should have let it get so close to the race with so little completed, and have still be actively promoting the race within the last few days. Running a 2006 race early next year is a poor compromise - most observers felt that this plan was over-ambitious all along. And that article is unbelievable, and they can't blame Babelfish or other translation - most of the problems are basic numerical errors.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 00:56 (Ref:1417493)   #42
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No OFFICIAL announcement yet.....
Old 27 Sep 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1418018)   #43
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=9708

PROGRESS CONTINUES IN ANSAN KOREA
Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Preparations are continuing for the Ansan Champ Car Grand Prix as workers prepare the facility for our 750 horsepower Champ Cars.

Construction on the race track is nearing completion and workers are continuing to build the infrastructure needed to put on Champ Car's three-day festivals of speed. Local promoter The Racing Korea, continues to get ready for the event, preparing the Ansan facility for Champ Car's visit on October 16.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1418056)   #44
extreme
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing about that track looks temproary to me... But here's hoping that they can put up some grandstands in 3 weeks... I think it took longer than that to put them up in edmonton, but maybe they work faster down there.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1418081)   #45
indycool
Veteran

That's short and sweet. No hype, no Korean Cheerleaders Lonely Hearts Club Band concert, no bells and whistles and dancing bears, no comments from the promoter, no comments on the course from CC, etc. Not the normal advance.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1418128)   #46
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Haven't even sold a ticket yet.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1418147)   #47
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the place isn't ready yet, it would be foolish to race there.....

To macdaddy:

Are you serious????

They haven't sold ANY tickets???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1418161)   #48
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Well, I can't say for sure. But there are no valid links to purchase them from the CC website. And the race's official website has a heading for "Advance Tickets", yet provides absolutely no information whatsoever.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1418211)   #49
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't been to Korea, but maybe there's a lot of walk-up sales, we hope, if it still is on.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1418314)   #50
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme
Nothing about that track looks temproary to me.
Seriously! I was under the impression that this was going to be a street race. Those pictures make it look like a permanent road course. Which of course is excellent. I hope this race happens.