Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Nov 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1450289)   #26
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He did race TVRs in the past, but has not competed for several years himself.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1450427)   #27
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are quite right, he does not race TVRs any more. There is an interesting story, I believe, why this is so - maybe someone should ask him???

I can also agree with what whatapalaver said - I've also witnessed a very experienced snatch guy get an earful from a TVR driver at Donington, but at the old hairpin. Wonder if it was the same guy?
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1450434)   #28
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it really necessarily to bang on about the fact that one or maybe more TVR drivers, but certainly a minority, have perhaps given marshals a hard time in the past? What the drive is irrelevant, and making such posts just gives a bad impression of a generally good bunch.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1450438)   #29
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I would hardly call two posts on the subject "banging on" Ian but thanks for telling us how to discuss the subject.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1450439)   #30
tazracer
Rookie

tazracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, The penny Drops, that particular "might have stood next to a tuscan racer once" person seems to have quite a following...... Mainly with people wanting to punch his lights out :rolf: I think you can safely regard any twaddle comming from him as Jon Dokic inspired drivvel....

G
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1450441)   #31
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Is it really necessarily to bang on about the fact that one or maybe more TVR drivers, but certainly a minority, have perhaps given marshals a hard time in the past? What the drive is irrelevant, and making such posts just gives a bad impression of a generally good bunch.
I'm quite happy just to mark people on an individual basis, without bracketting them.

as it happens, all the racers I've met have been really nice people. That said, I haven't been doing this for very long.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1450458)   #32
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find myself in total agreement with Ian Sowman, I certainly would not wish to vilify
TVR Tuscan drivers because over the years they have provided me with superb entertainment. When ,as is all too often the case in Tuscans, drivers have visited
the barriers , I have generally found them to be most appreciative of the marshals
efforts. Fluxie is a classic example of that, when racing at Oulton Park he invariably walked the track, prior to the commencement of the meeting, and made a point of visiting as many marshals posts as he could.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1450533)   #33
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's criticism folks - good or bad we have to live with it.
In my job, we get criticism all the time - some of it justified, most of it is pants!
Most Tuscan drivers are spot on!
I once stayed in the same hotel as a tuscan driver near to Combe - we had a problem with the electrics in our room.
He kindly offered us the use of his shower and made us cups of tea whilst the fault was rectified.
The day after, he spotted me in the paddock and invited me & the Mrs to his awning for tea! That was Mike Jordan - a very nice bloke!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1450690)   #34
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As with any gropus of people, there may be one who lets the side down. Most drivers in my experience are fine people (though care should be excercised when they've just bent their pride and joy) and so are most marshals. Some drivers struggle to stay on the black stuff and avoid other cars while travelling at a reasonable pace, some marshals couldn't wave the right flag if you poked them with it first. You never judge the majority by the few exceptions.

I never have a problem with constructive criticism - I'm far from perfect myself, and good advice is always welcome. Ill-informed criticism doesn't bother me if I know and fail to respect it's source, and it's not given unreasonable support. One plonker making a fool of himself on the radio while adequate option for the defence is accorded. I took a very different stance when Autoport published a load of tripe and gave it an award.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1450798)   #35
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can someone post a link to the podcasts cos I can't find any!!!!!

Please.............
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1450803)   #36
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
They're still not up Fil - trying to find out what the delay is!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1450804)   #37
Tuscan 6
Racer

England
Tuscan 6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good evening all

As a current Tuscan driver I am concerned about the comments of someone who introduces themselves as a Tuscan driver and then tarnishes what I otherwise believe to be a good reputation with the marshalling community. However I am encouraged to see that most people have disregarded these comments for what they are - one individual's views and unrepresentative. As an aside I am not aware of any spinal injuries occuring in a Tuscan.

As you know, the Tuscan is a fairly lairy beastie and as such when we come off we tend to come off pretty hard! We need the marshals perhaps more than most.

Last season I had 3 meetings with walls at high speeds. At Old Hall I hit the tyre wall backwards in the rain at > 70mph. The marshals were, as always, efficient, curteous, and once I ventured the first joke, exceedingly good humoured (despite requiring a JCB for 30 mins to straighten the armco posts!). They treated my mangled machine with respect, as their colleagues have on the other occasions I have needed them. This time they also treated me to a standing ovation when against all odds we managed to get the car out to race, some 2 feet shorter than intended.

A bit of humour goes a long way and since my first off (the first is always the worst) I have managed to have a joke with the marshals attending the incident. I always make a point of waving to and thanking all the marshals on the slowing down lap.

I haven't heard this individual's coments. But I would like to say, on behalf of the current Tuscan drivers, a heartfelt thanks for the work you guys do. Without it we could not race. Thank you.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1450807)   #38
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan 6
I haven't heard this individual's coments. But I would like to say, on behalf of the current Tuscan drivers, a heartfelt thanks for the work you guys do. Without it we could not race. Thank you.
Well they went something like this

Marshalls need better training because in doing their task they damage the cars and can hurt the drivers.

that's it.

then a load of tripe about promoting race meetings.

I do hope I meet some Tuscan drivers - preferably not at the track side mind. Seems that the saying : "There's always one" is true here.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1450813)   #39
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well firstly, thanks Tuscan 6!

Secondly, as has been said elsewhere in this thread, this really isn't anything to do with Tuscan drivers as an entity - it's just the class this person claimed they drove in.

Lastly, I'm afraid the attitude displayed in the interview is a bit more widely spread than one disgruntled caller - and I don't mean in Tuscans - I mean in motorsport in general. I've heard comments like his before. We don't tend to see them on Tenths because, as a rule, we tend to attract a better class of driver! But they're out there and it's important to know how we're perceived, how marshals perceive themselves and find out if there's any constructive way to address these concerns.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1450816)   #40
rumblefish
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
rumblefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan 6
This time they also treated me to a standing ovation when against all odds we managed to get the car out to race, some 2 feet shorter than intended.
The shortened Tuscan looked MEGA! Ah, the artistry of sticky tape!
In my time as a marshal I have a come across a few awkward drivers - but I always take into account that they have just dented their bank balance/championship hopes. I can understand how they feel, on the spur of the moment. I have NEVER come across a driver who has slagged off the marshals whilst in a calmer setting. Have I been lucky?
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1450825)   #41
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can add is that at the recent BARC Snett meeting on the 23rd Oct from my viewpoint flagging on Russell all the Tuscan drivers were an extremely happy looking bunch, especially considering the changeable weather conditions and various stoppages.

All waved at me enthusiastically at the end of race, perhaps as I had managed to wave at each of them several times during their sessions with virtually every variety of flag colour available, yellow, blue, white, red & yellow, green and red - not necessarily in that order!!

They all seemed to show great understanding and patience for the trials and tribulations on the day and we certainly look forward to welcoming them all back to Snet next year.

Terry
Old 3 Nov 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1451290)   #42
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the disgruntled Tuscan driver could be invited to attend one of next year's training days and see for himself what really happens? That's if he'd have the b***s to actually meet a group of us orange (and black) clad barbarians!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1451451)   #43
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The simple answer would be to find out who he is and then all marshals refuse to man their posts when he's racing in whatever championship he's out in-problem solved! If all marshals walk off-then he can't race which is no problem because he doesn't rate your skills anyway!!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1451555)   #44
CsM
Rookie

England
Dereham, Norfolk
CsM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i still cant c the episode in the podcast
Old 3 Nov 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1451578)   #45
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
The simple answer would be to find out who he is and then all marshals refuse to man their posts when he's racing in whatever championship he's out in-problem solved! If all marshals walk off-then he can't race which is no problem because he doesn't rate your skills anyway!!
Not the answer - marshals would not stoop that low, even if the driver is a t***er!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1451608)   #46
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know the full story but from what I can gather this driver doesnt like the way you guys flag? I had one driver critise some of my flag marshals about a flag issue I challeged him to come on to a post and have a go. He did and saw how hard we all work at keeping them informed changed his thoughts about us .I m gunning for you lot keep up the good work. Rob
Old 3 Nov 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1451693)   #47
Tuscan 6
Racer

England
Tuscan 6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gents - I'm told this individual has not raced for many, many years.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1451720)   #48
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Well. that's a releif! I'm sure that every category has it's "monkeys" would still like to see some Tuscan racing though...

do tuscans come to Pembrey?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 01:30 (Ref:1451752)   #49
tazracer
Rookie

tazracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Not the answer - marshals would not stoop that low, even if the driver is a t***er!

I doubt it would ever get that far in the unlikley event the alledged driver ever found a car to race in, I dont think he'd find any drivers to race against. He's managed to seriously upset just about everyone i've met and respect in the racing community, drivers or otherwise.

I think this thread has really run its course. the chap was talking BS. and should be ignored...

What we should be talking about is how to improve the generall communication between all the people involved in racing.. The organisers, drivers, pit crew, marshall's etc. We all do what we do through a love of racing and we all need each other to continue. without marshalls there is no racing, without drivers there's nothing to marshall. IMHO there is a little demarcation, and these barriers need removing so we all understand whats involved in each others job. I try in my own small way, by always talking to the guys in orange when they walk round the paddock, and waving on the cooling down lap reguardless if i've won or come last ( i think i've managed both this season!!!), and having a joke if im visiting them in a proffessional capacity

once we've sorted that we can look at promoting events to get a decent

crowd and the world peace

Cheers

Graham ( someone who has actually driven a tuscan recently!!!!)
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1451909)   #50
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tenuous link to this thread subject, but there is a lovely letter in this week's autosport from a driver which is totally supportive of the marshals (and, although it refers to an "orange-clad figure", I'm sure that doesn't exclude the BOBs).

So you can't tar everyone with the same brush!