Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 27 Sep 2006, 02:34 (Ref:1720828)   #26
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it keeps the Pablo in there. It just seems to roll off the tongue better.

J.D.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 02:42 (Ref:1720832)   #27
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like just Juan Montoya myself, in CART this was his name so I just sorat stuck with it, I;ve never liked the name Pablo either :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I presume you are referring to the style of oval racing rather than the fact the restrictor plate exists? The restrictor plate would only affect the power delivery which a professional driver should adapt to very quickly, theoretically!
The restrictor plate produces one massive pack of cars, it's great to watch, it's usually 2 or 3 wide, but can get up to 5 wide (btw I watched the last few laps of the 2000 Winston 500 and Talladega, Dale Sr's last win, a great race, and shows what Restrictor plate racing is like, take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyT4QOqjT0) Juan is going to have cars either side of him at 190mph which I imagine would need a little getting used to.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 27 Sep 2006, 05:38 (Ref:1720874)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
I wonder if Juan Pablo will become "Juan Montoya" again, and also if "Juan Montoya" will be afraid to use the front bumper? You think he'll be that kind of a driver?
Juan Pablo won't be afraidf to use the front bumper.

I recall a F3000 race at Monaco where he wasn't afraid to use his front bumper. Well, front wing actually.

It was embarrassingly aggressive stuff, but despite a change of nosecone, a penalty and a lap on a puncture he finished 6th.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1721012)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy

I recall a F3000 race at Monaco where he wasn't afraid to use his front bumper. Well, front wing actually.

It was embarrassingly aggressive stuff, but despite a change of nosecone, a penalty and a lap on a puncture he finished 6th.
Yeah that was hilarious, it was like he couldn't stop running into people!!

Anyway back to point.

Enjoyed reading the quote of his first test immensly.

Really, really glad to see him at the wheel again - his style of describing how he's handled the car is a bit reminiscent of Gilles. Tell it how it is man!!

Can't wait to see how he goes in his first race!!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1721164)   #30
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

He had better not use the bumper at Dega or he will kill somebody.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1721448)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, quite.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1721777)   #32
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's an article about Montoya's test at Talladega at the SpeedTV.com site. I like this part:
Quote:
“It was like, ‘Oh my God!’” Montoya exclaimed. “I came out of the pits, I went into Three and Four, started listing and said, ‘Ah, let's just try it’ and I just went full throttle and went through it and went into One pretty fast. They told me [the track is] flat easy, so to try it. I just went for it."
I like his attitude
Old 28 Sep 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1721789)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
There's an article about Montoya's test at Talladega at the SpeedTV.com site. I like this part:

I like his attitude
Yep, that's the quote I was thinking of too!!

It shows how happy he is to be out there driving race cars again!
Old 28 Sep 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1721838)   #34
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cant wait to see him race! I've already upgraded my satelite subscription so I have NASN to watch "uninterupted live NASCAR"!
Old 28 Sep 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1722075)   #35
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's official!

From Jayski (via Ganassi Racing PR):
Quote:
Montoya to make stock car debut in Talladega ARCA race: Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (CGRFS) announced Juan Pablo Montoya will drive the #4 Texaco/Havoline Dodge in the ARCA/REMAX Series event on Friday, October 6 at Talladega Superspeedway. Montoya and the CGRFS team tested at Talladega earlier this week in preparation for the ARCA event, as well as his first start in a stock car. In July CGRFS announced that Montoya would be piloting the #42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge Charger in the Nextel Cup Series in 2007. The 31-year-old Colombia, South America native will become the first Formula One driver in the 58-year history of NASCAR to compete on the circuit full time. He returns to the CGRFS organization with 137 starts competing in CART, IndyCar and Formula One, where he's tallied 18 wins, 26 poles, 60 top-five and 79 top-10 finishes. Over his five complete seasons in Formula One, Montoya has finished sixth or better in the standings. Montoya previously worked with team owner Chip Ganassi in the CART Series in 1999 and 2000. He captured the CART Championship and Rookie of the Year honors in 1999 while visiting Victory Lane 11 times in those two years, including a win at the prestigious Indianapolis 500 in 2000. The Food World 250 is scheduled to start at 4:30pm and will be broadcast at 8 p.m. on Speed Channel.(Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates PR)(9-28-2006)
It's going to be sooo interesting to see how he does, especially against the ARCA guys who, in some cases, are much less experienced and more unpredictable than the drivers in the NEXTEL Cup.

Can't bloody wait

Last edited by rustyfan; 28 Sep 2006 at 13:33.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1722077)   #36
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess this means no Busch race @ Kansas?
Old 28 Sep 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1722083)   #37
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
He had better not use the bumper at Dega or he will kill somebody.
Agreed, He could be interesting to watch at the short tracks though.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 28 Sep 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1722085)   #38
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
I guess this means no Busch race @ Kansas?
No, that plan was scrapped a few days ago when it was decided that the test at Iowa would be moved to Friday, meaning Montoya wouldn't be able to take part in practice at Kansas (as far as I know you need to do at least a few laps of practice to be allowed to qualify for a NASCAR race).

I'm not complaining though - seeing him make his stock car debut at Talladega (one of my favorite ovals) is going to be sweet
Old 28 Sep 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1722338)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Pretty daunting place to make a debut isn't it?

Pity I won't be able to see it.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1722352)   #40
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Pretty daunting place to make a debut isn't it?

Pity I won't be able to see it.
Why wet your feet in the shallow end of the pool when you can go straight for the deep end and dive in head first?
Old 28 Sep 2006, 23:47 (Ref:1722508)   #41
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That why i'm sad, we only get Busch and Nextel cup down here
Old 29 Sep 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1722517)   #42
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
It's official!

From Jayski (via Ganassi Racing PR):

It's going to be sooo interesting to see how he does, especially against the ARCA guys who, in some cases, are much less experienced and more unpredictable than the drivers in the NEXTEL Cup.

Can't bloody wait

hope he qualifies up front and stays there.
if not, i hope just stays clean.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1722549)   #43
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by botsquad
hope he qualifies up front and stays there.
if not, i hope just stays clean.
I hope he has made some friends. Drivers will go nowhere at Dega without drafting help. A driver can drop from 1st to 20th faster than you can say jack-rabbit if they hang him out to dry.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1722693)   #44
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
He should have no problem hanging on to the lead pack - remember that he'll be driving a car prepared by a NEXTEL Cup team, meaning he'll most likely have an edge, in terms of power, compared to probably almost the majority of the ARCA regulars.

Avoiding mistakes and keeping out of trouble caused by others will be the key - if he can do that I expect him to finish in the top 10, at least.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1723489)   #45
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
USA Today (via Jayski.com) has info about the test at Iowa:
Quote:
Montoya tests at Iowa: Juan Pablo Montoya's crew took about 45 minutes to become acclimated at Iowa Speedway on Friday morning. Montoya needed far less time to adapt. Turing laps in a stock car for only the second time since announcing his move to NASCAR, the former Formula One and Indianapolis 500 winner posted impressive speeds during an ARCA Series test on the 0.875-mile track. Montoya ranked third of 18 drivers with a 99.713-mph lap in the morning. After an hourlong break for lunch, he was third fastest in a four-hour afternoon session at 102.727 mph. Former NASCAR champion Rusty Wallace, who retired from the Cup series in 2005, and Blake Bjorklund led the session at 103.294 mph. Montoya, who missed most of the first hour of practice while his team fixed a mechanical problem on the car, was surprised by the pace of his learning curve. He tested Monday at Talladega Superspeedway, a 2.66-mile oval where a driver has much less input on speeds. Wallace, who designed the speedway that sits among cornfields about 40 miles east of Des Moines, was impressed by Montoya and hopes he returns to Iowa Speedway for its ARCA race on Oct. 15. "To come right out of the box and be right up to speed, there's no doubt in my mind that Ganassi made the right decision, and you made the right decision to come to NASCAR," Wallace told Montoya during a break from testing a Rusty Wallace Inc. car as a substitute for his youngest son, Stephen, who was practicing a Busch Series car at Kansas Speedway on Friday. "The fans here really love you, and you have been the buzz around NASCAR. I know it'll be a winning team. There's no concerns in my mind about that." Montoya will make his first start in a stock car in the ARCA race at Talladega Superspeedway on Oct. 6. The treacherous 2.66-mile oval also will mark his first experience with racing in traffic. Brad Parrott, who will serve as Montoya's crew chief for the rest of the season, said the Talladega race would be an important step in Montoya's development. It's expected Montoya will spend as much time as possible in a car through the final two months of the season, racing in the ARCA and Busch series and possibly attempting to qualify for the Cup finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Nov. 19.(full story at USA Today)(9-30-2006)
Also, Montoya will test, again in the ARCA car, at Kentucky on October 3rd & 4th.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1723733)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Oh boy this is cool!
Old 30 Sep 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1723867)   #47
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedtv.com/video_player/...p?video=122954

first footage of montoya...
Old 30 Sep 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1723874)   #48
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Superb!

And the old chrome helmet is back! Yeeha!

Old 6 Oct 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1729680)   #49
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Juan Pablo Montoya qualified second for today's Food World 250 ARCA RE/MAX race - he missed the pole by just 0.01sec! "Restrictor Plate King" Bobby Gerhart will start from the top spot.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1729713)   #50
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hmmm, a Friday race then?!

Saw some interesting quotes from old sparring partners Helio and TK somewhere or other. Both basically saying he'll adapt fine because he's a real talent, fierce competitor and quick learner.

Tags
jpm