Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

View Poll Results: Should britcar adopt power-to-weight parity?
Yes 12 50.00%
No 4 16.67%
My cat's breath smells like cat food 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Nov 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1761654)   #26
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walks over to Zac510, looks around to make sure nobody else is listening....
whispers.... about...... 200......

If I have any more midrange, the throttle will become a switch...... I've got over 550lb/ft torque....

fun fun fun fun fun!

But, unlike the super whizzy cars with their 9 speed sequentials and three speed rear axles, I have four gears with a shift so agricultural it could have been designed by Fowler, or Burrell. Which considering the torque, is enough.

I think that by the time I reinstall the air jacks, a new bigger proper tank with dry break, and a few other imrovements, I'll be on the weight, if not over.

Rob.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1763402)   #27
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Rob surely your 700bhp thing will have to weigh in at around 1900kgs and thats if the formula is open ended on bhp. How is this going to help you, I think you are on a none starter as you would have to carry about 700kgs of lead! Sorry knock 80kgs of for you and thats 620kgs still not on. Want to buy my black Camaro as you could run a 520bhp engine in that within the regs as it is not going to be eligible for pre-93's now in its present form unfortunately.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 11 Nov 2006 at 13:16.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1763415)   #28
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure how it's going to work yet.

I think any more than 100Kg of lead is a non starter due to mass vs G in the event of an incident. I have a relatively mild 20G impact, that makes 100Kg of lead the equivalent of 2tonnes of mass trying to be restrained by zip ties, velcro, and tank tape....

The easier solution would be to fit a restrictor plate and strangle the engine down to nearer 550bhp, making it more reliable, and more economical in the process....

Until I get everything sorted on the car, I won't know how much it's going to weigh, or whether it'll be worth thinking about doing races of more than about 30 mins duration (ie: will it fall apart??!!)

Rob.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1763425)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
How long are these races then?
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1763435)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
OK I have checked, too long for me as well! Ah well keep looking.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1763451)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=racing59]I'm not sure how it's going to work yet.

I think any more than 100Kg of lead is a non starter due to mass vs G in the event of an incident. I have a relatively mild 20G impact, that makes 100Kg of lead the equivalent of 2tonnes of mass trying to be restrained by zip ties, velcro, and tank tape... .
Ballast=self adhesive roof flashing,we used to use it in BTCC for these very reasons.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1763462)   #32
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
I'm not sure how it's going to work yet.

I think any more than 100Kg of lead is a non starter due to mass vs G in the event of an incident. I have a relatively mild 20G impact, that makes 100Kg of lead the equivalent of 2tonnes of mass trying to be restrained by zip ties, velcro, and tank tape... .
Ballast=self adhesive roof flashing,we used to use it in BTCC for these very reasons.
Aha! that makes good sense.

Still prefer the idea of the restrictor plate - which I can remove when I go to play in other championships - 4 bolts and it's out!

Rob.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1766073)   #33
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting results. Nice to know 6 people still have cats
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1766075)   #34
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
From a techinical viewpoint, if a data logger measures the accelleration of the car to determine the power output/weight ratio, what happens if you fit a lower diff, does that have no bearing on the results?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 06:05 (Ref:1766425)   #35
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
It should make no difference.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:28 (Ref:1766477)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
It does on a drag strip and what if I put an ultra light flywheel on the car, an alloy prop etc does that also not make any difference, I dropped my axle ratio down for the last meeting and it certainly seemed like it was accellerating faster. If not why bother?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1766515)   #37
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A different question about the EEERC, didn't there used to be an endurance series for "Locaterfield 7" type cars - the Goldarts 100 or something? I thought that this was originally run by one of the Jaguar clubs but then incorporated into EEERC. What happened to it? Given the number of Caterhams, Westfields etc racing i would have thought that an endurance series for these cars would have been very popular. Add in some of the other 7 like kits, Aerial Atoms, Ginettas and some of the cars from the 750mc Kit car championship and you would have big grids...wouldn't you?

The EEERC could then be really simple: Britcar (for all Saloons inc V8 Stars, Thunder Belmonts, Production S1 etc etc), Britsports (for all Sports Cars from Group 6 to Porsche 911/935 to Marcos to TVRs to Sports 2000 to Radicals etc) and "BritKits" (for want of a better name for the aforementioned Locaterfields, Aerials etc etc). Ok so classes would have to apply, based on power to weight or engine capacity of other tech regs but I think that the "product" would be easier to understand, the Locaterfields could be a good (cost effective?) "starter" class and there would not be the confusion of some cars trying to race in Britcars and then again in a V8 race (if they are serviceable from race 1 etc ). Once interest in a particular class builds then maybe, just maybe, it can have its own stand alone race.

I'll get my coat.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1766580)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I don't personally like being on the track in a saloon with this little buzzboxes, its very easy not to spott hem and run over them, let them race on their own
Old 15 Nov 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1766610)   #39
zac510
Veteran

Britkits, neat name, and idea Wonder if there is enough time in a day for all the races. 30-45mins qualifying for all categories, two hours for Britcar race, one hour for britsports, one hour for 'britkit', etc.

Putting Group6 and sedans in with Britsports would not gel with the image they have built Britsports up to be. It is a purely prototype class. There is space for those in Britcar regulations anyway.

I'm not sure about the answer to the diff question, but perhaps it is another area where it is the racer's responsibility (and challenge) to optimise the car to the weight bracket.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1767136)   #40
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Andy97, some interesting ideas.

However, the issues are thus:

Locaterfield7's are not all interested in doing endurance racing, else they'd be there in their droves.

Some of us with V8's don't want to do endurance racing because of the stress and strain it puts on our mad mental machinery that we've build to do races of no longer than a tankful of fuel (ie: no expensive refuelling kit).

It's the usual story of not being ablt to please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.

I feel that my beast may be happy doing races of around 90mins before it shakes itself apart, providing I fit dry-break refuelling kit (and a new tank). I don't think it's 2hr or more race material. I could be wrong, but it'll require some serious testing.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1767151)   #41
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
More like two laps Rob:-)

(Sorry mate could not resist it).
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1767198)   #42
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
I'll have you know I did over 6 laps in one hit on the GP circtuit at Silverstone two weeks ago!! And it only spat about 3litres of water!!!!

Rob.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1768329)   #43
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Putting Group6 and sedans in with Britsports would not gel with the image they have built Britsports up to be. It is a purely prototype class. There is space for those in Britcar regulations anyway.
Group 6 cars are purely prototypes so definately belong in Britsports, but I was just using this as an example. Anyway, Britsport has hardly been a resounding success so far has it? No cars on track for a while recently at Donington?

I think that having a Britsports race which mixes Sports prototypes with genuine Sports Cars such as 911s, TVRs, Marcoses, Ferraris etc is very appropriate - after all, its good enough for Le Mans.

There would seem to be enough saloons to make a good grid in Britcar without the need for aforementioned road biased sports cars. Surely the aim must be for all series to thrive and not just one, with the other struggling.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1776496)   #44
zac510
Veteran

Any feedback on the Brands debut of these black boxes? I've been out of the country and off the forum for a couple of weeks.