Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Dec 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1799827)   #26
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I read an interview with JPM on NASCAR.com and he's enjoying the life (inc the paddock life) too much already to ever come back to F1.
Even with a gun in his head he wouldn't say the contrary !!!
Old 27 Dec 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1799838)   #27
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I love these kinds of threads! The reason why JPM left F1 (or one of them) is that he wanted to be assured of retaining a top ride. STR is not a top ride. Hence, JPM moves on to greener pastures.

I will miss him in F1, but he is yet another example of a very talented driver who couldn't quite find his niche in F1. The beauty part of it is that we can have great good fun discussing "why" for years!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 03:42 (Ref:1800211)   #28
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Hard to believe that Tosso Roro would ever have JPM in his line-up... it would be a downhill for the colombian.
Not really, ultimately STR backer's main interest is still to sell more energy drinks, and JPM will be good for their South American advertising champaign.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1800306)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is why STR would like Montoya, but Bononi's point was that he couldn't see Montoya wanting to go to STR.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1800335)   #30
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
That is why STR would like Montoya, but Bononi's point was that he couldn't see Montoya wanting to go to STR.
Yup, despite a lot of people's misgivings about the guy, no one could argue that the team would be a fair bit below JPM's expected/required level in it's current form.

In a couple of years things might be different, but hey.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1800452)   #31
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback
Not really, ultimately STR backer's main interest is still to sell more energy drinks, and JPM will be good for their South American advertising champaign.
That's what I hear most around here...

Massa is good for Ferrari to sell FIAT cars in South America, Barrichello keeps the seat at Honda because they have a large market in SA, Piquet Jrn will be a test driver at Renault because they want to sell more in SA... that's all marketing strategy.

I guess JPM would be a good marketing strategy for Red Bull in South America, everybody would buy an expensive drink because of him. But at least they have Mark Webber now, so they can sell some in Australia, or not ?

EDIT
OK I'll try to explain again what I meant...

Every time PEOPLE says the reason why a driver for other country (mostly non-european) is getting the seat is because of the "market" of a particular sponsor wants in that country, which I think is mostly wrong. I doubt that Ferrari, Renault or any top team would risk to have a bad driver just to have his face linked to their sponsor's product. It can happen to small teams or in particular situations. Most of the teams would have a driver regardless how "good for the sponsor's market" he can be. Primarily just because in a marketing point of view a driver (or any other public person) would only become valuable when he has achieved something. What is interesting for the sponsors is linking their products to successful people not because they are there even if F1 is a top category.

Last edited by Bononi; 28 Dec 2006 at 16:20.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1800593)   #32
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think they woulda sign Webbo even if Red Bull was banned in Australia, he is there cuz he can drive
Old 28 Dec 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1800630)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
i think they woulda sign Webbo even if Red Bull was banned in Australia, he is there cuz he can drive
Oh I'm sure he can !
Old 28 Dec 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1800633)   #34
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah Webber may well be able to drive, but whether or not he can drive well is another matter. Webber has been in F1 for 6 seasons now and he hasn't ever really shone. Yes he has always been in middle/back marker teams but if he was good enough he would have made it into a front running team by now.

As things are however, time is running out for Webber. Sure he isnt old, but hes not a young driver either, hes what, 30? He has maybe another 4 or 5 years worth of top line racing in him at best. That's assuming he can hold onto his F1 spot for that long. Who knows, maybe 2007 will be his last season in F1, after that who knows what the future holds? Champcars? Aussie v8's?
Old 28 Dec 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1800662)   #35
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
. Who knows, maybe 2007 will be his last season in F1, after that who knows what the future holds? Champcars? Aussie v8's?
DC? is that you?
Old 28 Dec 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1800669)   #36
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
That's a battle worth watching,even if not much else happens.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1800671)   #37
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Well there's always Fisi...
Old 28 Dec 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1800739)   #38
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yeah Webber may well be able to drive, but whether or not he can drive well is another matter. Webber has been in F1 for 6 seasons now and he hasn't ever really shone. Yes he has always been in middle/back marker teams but if he was good enough he would have made it into a front running team by now.
He doesn´t have the best pre-F1 CV, but he´s certainly doing a good job since his arrival in the top line. He generally doesn´t get as much credit as he deserves in my opinion.

Don´t know why Renault chose Fisichella for another season over him. Did Williams try to retain him for next year by the way? (I know I could ask this in a different thread, but is such a brief question really worth making another thread over?)
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1801042)   #39
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Webber's plenty good enough. Just another example of needing the right drive to properly show it isn't it?! He's got the right head, speed and racecraft in all conditions.

Anyway aren't we completely off topic??!!
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1801053)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Ern... off season drifting not much to talk about really.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1801072)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Ern... off season drifting not much to talk about really.
The weather, Christmas, New Year, the running total of mince pies etc...

All of that has got to be better than bringing up Fizzi's name again!!! Yikes

Tags
jpm