Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 19 Apr 2007, 20:37 (Ref:1895795)   #26
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya makes a great impression in every series he goes.
This is one of his best moments (F1 fastest lap ever)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w__Gxmt-3PQ
Old 19 Apr 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1895875)   #27
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot about Newman. He's definitely been out of the picture the last couple years (as the entire Penske team seems to be too). I wonder if he'll be back with Penske next season? I think he has the talent and there has to be other teams interested.

J.D.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1897109)   #28
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Since 2005 Chevrolet is taking part in the WTCC. After two full seasons they are still strugling to be competative against BMW and SEAT. I don't know their budget but according Sunday Telegraph SEAT's UK motorsport budget is more then 4 million Euro. In contrast to SEAT Chevrolet has to develop their cars so I am sure their budget is much bigger. Why do Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge not start a championship for Busch cars: NASCAR Euro Cup.

Busch cars are ready to race available so there are less development costs (development by Busch teams in US). The Dodge brand is relaunched in Europe so they can use some extra promotion. For Ford it would be a nice addition to their rally activities.

• Official support from NASCAR so the championship gets more credibility and recognition.
  • Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet each donating 500,000 Euro for promoting and organising the championship.
  • Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet each donating 2,000,000 Euro for prize money (total prize money 6,000,000 Euro, each round 500,000 Euro). In Europe prize money is relative rare. In WTCC privateers get prize money but these these amounts are relative low. The best privateer (combined results of race 1 and 2) gets 12,000 Euro, 8,000 Euro to the 2nd, 5,000 Euro to the 3rd, 3,000 Euro to the 4th, 2,000 Euro to the 5th and 1,000 Euro to the 6th. So having a big pot with prize money is a unique selling point to teams and drivers.
  • Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet each entering at least 10 cars (entered by private teams, no factory teams allowed)
  • The season has 12 races. Rockingham and Lausitzring have each two races, other circuits (for example Norising, Warneton (oval in Belgium) and Brand Hatch) only one race.
  • Race length around 90 to 120 minutes (3 or 4 pitstops).
  • Live coverage on Eurosport 1.
  • Get NASCAR sponsors involved (for example DeWalt, M&M's, Domino, Texaco, Samsung).

Or is this just wishful thinking and not realistic?
I suggest that instead of the Busch body styles, they rename the cars after products sold in Europe (Ford Mondeo, not Fusion for example). Also, what about Toyota? EDIT : The Camry isn't sold in Europe IIRC

On the TV coverage, Eurosport isn't a good idea, you would need to get it on terrestrial not some pay channel which most people (in the UK at least) can't get. If the races were 90 minutes or so, it would be best.

EDIT : Before NASCAR internationalise - which they should do - the first thing they ought to remove is the must build the road car in the USA rule.

Bear in mind that the manufacturers only race to flog their cars - so they want to promote the right cars in the right market.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 21 Apr 2007 at 16:55.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1897128)   #29
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would have edited the post, but that isn't possible now.

If NASCAR change ex-CASCAR and Corona Mexico to the Busch specifications and added the NASCAR European Tour, Keep them separate and have a grand final event for the top 10 from each.

The Warneton is only 1/4 mile, remember. Maybe, just maybe, the Millenium Stadium could be used as another short track (they had a WRC super special there). Both would probably be 1/4 miles, so possibly two heats would be needed, it would be hard to put a pit lane in.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 21 Apr 2007 at 17:20.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 17:24 (Ref:1897137)   #30
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I suggest that instead of the Busch body styles, they rename the cars after products sold in Europe (Ford Mondeo, not Fusion for example). Also, what about Toyota? EDIT : The Camry isn't sold in Europe IIRC
Yep

- Ford Mondeo
- Chevrolet Epica
- Dodge Avenger
- Toyota Avensis

Because the cars don't look and have nothing in common with the road version it's maybe even better to call them just Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and Toyota. Toyota's F1 car is a Toyota not a Toyota Avensis.

Quote:
Also, what about Toyota?
In Europe they are involved in F1 so I don't think they are interested in something else. Thats why I left them out. But they are welcome to join.

Quote:
EDIT : Before NASCAR internationalise - which they should do - the first thing they ought to remove is the must build the road car in the USA rule.
I agree

Quote:
On the TV coverage, Eurosport isn't a good idea, you would need to get it on terrestrial not some pay channel which most people (in the UK at least) can't get. If the races were 90 minutes or so, it would be best.
Of course mainstream TV would be the ideal situation but I tried to be realistic. To get motorsport (except F1) on mainstream TV is very difficult. So Eurosport 1 for live coverage and 30 or 60 minutes highlights on mainstream TV.

Is Eurosport 1 pay TV in UK? In Holland I think 90% of the people can receive Eurosport 1.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1897140)   #31
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bear in mind that the manufacturers only race to flog their cars - so they want to promote the right cars in the right market.
They can use it to promote a certain model (like in WTCC, BTCC, DTM) but also to promote the brand itself (like F1).
Old 21 Apr 2007, 17:29 (Ref:1897142)   #32
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Of course mainstream TV would be the ideal situation but I tried to be realistic. To get motorsport (except F1) on mainstream TV is very difficult. So Eurosport 1 for live coverage and 30 or 60 minutes highlights on mainstream TV.

Is Eurosport 1 pay TV in UK? In Holland I think 90% of the people can receive Eurosport 1.
It is not available on any free to air platforms in the UK - it's on Top Up TV (an encrypted waste of bandwidth, some of its channels have disappeared), sky and whatnot but not on any form of free to air TV (Digital terrestrial or analogue).

Top Up TV might implode, it went in to liquidation last year and it isn't as vocal as it was. Their current ploy is a thing about recording stuff that is on at night.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 21 Apr 2007 at 17:37.
Old 6 May 2007, 19:17 (Ref:1907884)   #33
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You mean the lack of NASCAR coverage on European autosport websites? The coverage on autosport.com has increased in the last 6 months. Even about the Busch Series is reported.
No, I'm talking about North America.