Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Aug 2007, 09:39 (Ref:1999906)   #26
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Reliable? I would like to see a NASCAR engine last for 24 hours, when there are plenty of engines that won't last for a normal Cup race. They also change out the engine after each race to work on it. The weight of the NASCAR engine is significantly more than current prototype engines so you lose plenty of the low-weight advantage right there. You do know that they still use carbs, don't you?
Look man, you have no idea what your talking about....

Roush, then Yates and finally Elan put together nice engines for the Panoz "Batmobile" and the LMP1 "Old Girl" everybody loves.

If I remember correctly Yates and Roush together run the Ford engine shops for all Ford NASCAR Cup, Bush and Truck teams.

When it comes to the Ford 90 degree V8 nobody on this planet knows more than THEY do. Just like you wouldn't take your small block Chevy to anybody but Katech.

They can and have built N/A engines that can make the gunt for to be competitive with the Audi engine. Back in those days they ran the motors at 6.0L or just under 400cid.

The new "Boss" block from Ford has enough space to make over 400cid easy and isn't has "high" has a high deck SVO NASCAR block.

My SRT-4 makes many muscle cars look FOOLISH so I am "down" with high technology. I am just agreeing with Bob that sometimes doing it "Old School" might not be a such a bad idea and a good way to battle deeper pockets.

Okay thanks to Wikipedia, LMP1 is limited to 4.0L turbocharged....

A 90 Chevy V6 is 3/4 of a Small Block V8 and we know how strong a four bolt-main GM block is - See Corvette Racing or any Saturday Night Test N Tune Drag Race in America...

You can slap a couple of turbos on it, nobody makes a alum block, but just how costly WOULD that be?? Compared to building purpose built racing engines....

Chevy's V6 Turbo Engine in the Corvette GTP was 3.0L and of course using "then" technology" was VERY quick vs Porsche 962's the dominate cars of that era.

Proving "K.I.S.S" does work

Using "Now" technology including better turbos, better wastegates, engine management and with a displacment limit of 4.0L, you have the makings of a racing engine based on production hardware that will make a TON of power and cost I believe HALF as much as buying any current technology racing engine that isn't competitive with the Audi power plant.

Weight is not an issue - see Audi R10

Somebody give me a Lola LMP chassis and I'll call Ryan Falconer...

3.0L Chevy V6 production based - 1200hp with the wastegate WIDE OPEN SINGLE TURBO

According to Wiki, that displacement single turbo config would work in an LMP2 car as well...

Last edited by dj4monie; 30 Aug 2007 at 09:43.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 15:19 (Ref:2000136)   #27
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the Mopar 6.0L V8 for their LMPs begin life based on a World of Outlaws/Sprint car engine?
Old 30 Aug 2007, 18:17 (Ref:2000239)   #28
piet
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
piet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello!
Maybe one of the new models could be this one...007 corporate car isn't?

http://picasaweb.google.com/f550gts/...ey=3rLZFzzB_Ks

shooted during the LMS race at Spa 2 weeks ago.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 18:19 (Ref:2000242)   #29
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Hasn't the Lavaggi LMP1 a Yates V8 in the back? (I know, it's not a competative example )
Old 30 Aug 2007, 19:44 (Ref:2000306)   #30
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
DJ, the money and personnel aren't the issue with the diesel/petrol engines. It's purely a matter of what the numbers, and video footage, say. While a factory petrol LMP900/LMP1 can make 650-700hp, it cannot make in excess of 600ft-lb of torque; the highest figure I have seen for any LMP900/LMP1 is 570ft-lb from the 4.0-litre, twin-turbo V8 in the Bentley EXP Speed 8. In contrast, the Audi R10 and Peugeot 908 are reported to be making 800-900ft-lb of torque. Then, as I have said before, maximum horsepower and torque for the diesel comes up much lower in their rev range than for petrol engines. Therefore, the diesel maintains nearer to its maximum figures for a greater percentage of its rev range. I don't see how any factory can overcome those deficits with a petrol engine, within the current rules.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 20:10 (Ref:2000329)   #31
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
DJ, the money and personnel aren't the issue with the diesel/petrol engines. It's purely a matter of what the numbers, and video footage, say. While a factory petrol LMP900/LMP1 can make 650-700hp, it cannot make in excess of 600ft-lb of torque; the highest figure I have seen for any LMP900/LMP1 is 570ft-lb from the 4.0-litre, twin-turbo V8 in the Bentley EXP Speed 8. In contrast, the Audi R10 and Peugeot 908 are reported to be making 800-900ft-lb of torque. Then, as I have said before, maximum horsepower and torque for the diesel comes up much lower in their rev range than for petrol engines. Therefore, the diesel maintains nearer to its maximum figures for a greater percentage of its rev range. I don't see how any factory can overcome those deficits with a petrol engine, within the current rules.
Purist is right, a diesel makes its power down low and at approximately five thousand rpm there ain't no mo.
Diesel power is controlled by fuel flow, a gasoline engine is dependant of fuel-air mixture at rpm.
A BB engine can make the down low torque, and one that has a full competition valve-train, can continue, when torque goes away, to produce more hp till it either reaches valve-train float.

With the ACO rules, the high revs do little to no good at all, as the engines are choking long before they run out of rpms.
Even a blown gasoline engine will run out of air as the laws of physics determine how much air can get through a pre-determined size hole.

On a straight when the supposed superior high end of a gasoline engine should allow it drive by any diesel, it runs out of air.
As the gasoline engines are small, so they do not have the low-end grunt of a BB, and even if they were BB, it still takes X amount of air for BB to function properly, where ACO only gives them C (contrived amount), they do not stand a chance.

Bob
Old 30 Aug 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2000344)   #32
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
With the ACO rules, the high revs do little to no good at all, as the engines are choking long before they run out of rpms.
The sad truth about air restrictors, and they aint doing any good to the reliability of the engines either. I wonder how much longer those engines can run without the air restrictors, and what impact the air restrictors has to the cost of making them and rebuilding them.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 07:04 (Ref:2000627)   #33
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Look at my other P1 post, Benz is developing a Deis-Otto cycle engine.

For a gas engine to be competitive next level technology has to be used GM also showed a Deis-Otto engine basically a Diesel engine tech in a gas engine.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08...s-hcci-engine/

This is type of forward thinking that Audi applied to their racing program and others didn't. Judd and AER do not have the money to develop such technology on their own they need help from a OEM for things like this.

For a gas engine to be competitive it will take next level thinking if your thinking in terms of smaller displacement racing engines.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 14:39 (Ref:2000879)   #34
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And that is why Aston Martin is unveiling two new cars at Frankfurt...

pit
Old 7 Sep 2007, 06:24 (Ref:2005835)   #35
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
One reveal down: Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400

No race car so far.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 15:41 (Ref:2006172)   #36
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nice
Old 7 Sep 2007, 15:42 (Ref:2006174)   #37
pitviper
Racer

there won't be a bespoke race car, the other car that will be unveiled is a high performance version of the DB9, much like the N400 is to the Vantage.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 02:10 (Ref:2006530)   #38
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Confirmed, no Aston Martin race car to be unveiled in Frankfurt. The other car besides the V8 Vantage N400 will be the DB9 LM, to celebrate their Le Mans GT1 victory. It's merely a visual change from the standard car, no performance upgrades.

http://www.astonmartins.com/gaydon_vh/db9lm.htm
Old 8 Sep 2007, 03:20 (Ref:2006539)   #39
pitviper
Racer

Good find on that. I do find it funny that they are coming in a special colour... but that colour isn't the one of the cars that won the race, lol. A nice overall package though... still, I am excited to see the DBX concept when it finally is shown...

pit