Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 12 Oct 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2970022)   #501
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
gutted!! bang goes the idea of me and my 2 bro's doing the Le Mans 24 hour race one weekend. lol, im sure we'll do it without saving
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2971047)   #502
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I spent 2 hours downloading the updates, and thought I'd have a crack at the 9 Hours with this new save option. Ran for just over the hour and wanted to stop - no save option! How does it work, then?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2971308)   #503
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It gives you the option to save whenever you head into the pits, from what I've gathered.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2971447)   #504
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, OK, thanks. I did one stop but didn't notice it in there; too busy changing tyre choice and fuel amount to spot it! Makes sense I guess.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2971627)   #505
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that the 9hr at Tskuba? Same one i'm doing. When you pit and the fuel/tyre menu comes up there is a new button that says "suspend game". that will save your game and when complete will tell you to use the PS button to exit the game. when you load GT5 up again, it'll take you straight back to the race. when i did that the other night it allowed me to choose the tyres/fuel again, which is a handy touch.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2971800)   #506
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaTheGreat View Post
gutted!! bang goes the idea of me and my 2 bro's doing the Le Mans 24 hour race one weekend. lol, im sure we'll do it without saving
you could still do that
Old 16 Oct 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2971831)   #507
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yep, thanks guys, race now 'suspended' 2 hours in. As a matter of interest, what an utterly ridiculous short circuit to hold an endurance race on, especially as long as 9 hours! Bring back El Capitan (amongst others!)
Old 16 Oct 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2971896)   #508
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
you could still do that
I know you can do the race straight thru, but knowing my bruv, he'll wanna stop and save now lol.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2972807)   #509
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yep, thanks guys, race now 'suspended' 2 hours in. As a matter of interest, what an utterly ridiculous short circuit to hold an endurance race on, especially as long as 9 hours! Bring back El Capitan (amongst others!)
Yeah its a pain isn't it? Never a chance to relax, constantly gear changing. So far i'm just short of 6 hrs in. Picked an Elise as the tyres never last even half a tank of fuel, so wanted something light and nimble to get the best tyre economy possible. Up against easy opposition as usual except one S2000 which is about .5s faster than me on fresh tyres. Luckily i've been picking up some moves from McNish so i'm far better in traffic than the AI, about 4 laps ahead
Old 22 Oct 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2975184)   #510
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
feck.

i just lost 6hrs of work in that race due to the resume screwing up. instead of being in pits it was trackside and the ai controlling it. it refused to pit even when it ran out of fuel. until they sort those bugs out, its pointless using it :/
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2977501)   #511
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
apparently that bug and a whole bunch of others have been sorted

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo...easonal-event/
Old 30 Oct 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2978982)   #512
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just had the scariest indy 500
I used the Red Bull car, which reaches 440kph on the straights (484 with decent slip stream). Before the halfway point, two of the R8's in the race refused to take on fuel for the remainder of the race, and they trotted along at 80kph. the speed difference is just scary and I passed them every lap from then.

oh btw, that car is just cheating imo. I finished nearly 40 laps ahead of the rest
Old 1 Nov 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2980143)   #513
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well, for the Tsukuba 9 hours, I used a well tweaked old Aston DB7; not an obvious choice and not always the quickest at certain stages of the stints, but I'm an Aston fan. Quite powerful but still heavy compared with the others, and on that track it had a tendency to understeer and very heavy tyre wear on the front. Had hard tyres on front and medium on rear (or was it medium/soft, can't remember now) and stopped every 25 laps by which time fronts were completely shot. Won by 2 laps, although should have been 4, but in the 7th hour or so, my control pad (don't have a wheel) on several occasions went from digital to analogue (or whatever the terms are) so that the car either stopped or went straight on in corners, with the 4 red lights on the controller flashing at me, so had to reset before resuming race each time. It's happened before. Has anyone else had that problem?
Old 1 Nov 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2980153)   #514
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been reading this thread on and off for some time, cannot remember everything that has been spoken about, but I bought GT5 last weekend, on THE Platinum label.
Apart from driving round Rome, London and Madrid, amazing details etc, I am completely underwhelmed.
I remember at the time Official PS mag rated it highly. whereas the independent PSM gave it 78% iirc, and they pulled it apart by saying playability wise, it wasn't a step forward.
I've bought countless racing games since the days of the ZX Spectrum and am so disappointed by GT5. Absolutely nothing new.
To my mind, Formula 1 Championship Manager on the Spectrum, F1 97 on the Playstation, Sega Rally on the Sega Saturn and Grand Prix Legends on a decent PC are standout.
I got into GT4 on the PS2 and enjoyed it but I would have thought with the advent of games like L.A. Noire, Heavy Rain, even Assassin Creed with vertigo inducing heights, realism and emotion within games is beginning to push our boundaries. Battlefield 3 and COD look amazing but as one developer said, just because something is realistic doesn't make it fun, so they control what is possible in their games.
The best racing game on the PS3, in my opinion, is Ferrari Challenge.
This is something that concerns me, not just GT5 but the actual development of games.
Some of the best games I have ever played were on the Spectrum. Originally an 48k machine. Games manufacturers couldn't cover everything with graphics, because essentially they were coloured blocks. They programmed around restrictions and gameplay was incredible.
F1 Championship Manager after all was "cars" zooming across the screen, and loads of text, yet I spent hours on that.
Now we have whole organisations putting together a game which look and sound amazing on a 25G Blu ray disc, but there's no involvement, there's no sense of passion, it's almost demonstrating what they can do for the sake of it.
I remember seeing Star Wars and co back in 1977 as a kid.
Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 received alot of criticism because of the digital effects dominating the films.
How often do you read reviews of musicians who can actually play instruments themselves. Isn't it ironic that the journalist always sounds in awe of this talent?

Just sometimes, I wish people/ designers of games would step back and think of the human contact within.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2980181)   #515
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The classic Game Room review of GT4, I think, mentioned some disappointment with the sheer level of detail and complexity in the game being somewhat detrimental to the "fun" of the game.

There is a disconnect, but I'm not sure how you solve it. The programmers have to get into such detail in making a working game that's up to today's standards, if they're actually good programmers, that I can see it being easy for them to lose sight of what the lay person considers to be overly complicated. Also, it's a relatively rare thing to have a top-notch computer whiz who happens to have good social and communication skills by the standards of the outside world. The same holds true for engineers in many cases.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2980238)   #516
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Well, for the Tsukuba 9 hours, I used a well tweaked old Aston DB7; not an obvious choice and not always the quickest at certain stages of the stints, but I'm an Aston fan. Quite powerful but still heavy compared with the others, and on that track it had a tendency to understeer and very heavy tyre wear on the front. Had hard tyres on front and medium on rear (or was it medium/soft, can't remember now) and stopped every 25 laps by which time fronts were completely shot. Won by 2 laps, although should have been 4, but in the 7th hour or so, my control pad (don't have a wheel) on several occasions went from digital to analogue (or whatever the terms are) so that the car either stopped or went straight on in corners, with the 4 red lights on the controller flashing at me, so had to reset before resuming race each time. It's happened before. Has anyone else had that problem?
I'v had a similar problem whilst charging my controller whereas when I unplug it the lights just flash and I have to plug the lead back in for it to work.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2981053)   #517
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haven't played this for a while so have only just updated - which has somehow completely messed up Shift 2! I am 55% through career mode but can't access anything but the first round of races, everything else is locked. Gonna have to delete the profile file & start again. Forgotten how much better the handling is on GT5 though.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2981065)   #518
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
Forgotten how much better the handling is on GT5 though.
I put down my blazing progress to being a better driver having come back to GT5 after a bit of a break, but as I have been playing Shift 2 for a while, perhaps it is just better handling of the cars?
Old 3 Nov 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2981081)   #519
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now all we need is someone to combine the handling of GT5 with the cars, circuits & AI of Shift2. Not too much to ask is it??
Old 3 Nov 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2981267)   #520
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Now all we need is someone to combine the handling of GT5 with the cars, circuits & AI of Shift2. Not too much to ask is it??
It's called Forza 4.

That being said I've spent as much time building replica Group A touring and Trans-Am* race cars, downloading liveries from the storefront.

*Not been a fan of muscle cars but this game has opened my eyes (and ears) to them.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2982055)   #521
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats ok but I'm not going to pay £200 for an inferior console just for one good game.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3107063)   #522
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well, I finally bought it After a couple of hours installing all the updates I've started ploughing through the early stuff. So far so GT really - can't say it's as much of a step up as I thought it would be in terms of appearance but it's nice enough. Does anyone have any tips on which events are best to build the 'experience' quickly or get the big money for wins? Also with the B-spec driver(s) is there any way to speed up the race? In GT4 you could speed it up to x3 or whatever - I haven't found a way of doing that in GT5 but I've only done one race with the B-spec driver so haven't really delved into that too much.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3107087)   #523
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well, I finally bought it After a couple of hours installing all the updates I've started ploughing through the early stuff. So far so GT really - can't say it's as much of a step up as I thought it would be in terms of appearance but it's nice enough. Does anyone have any tips on which events are best to build the 'experience' quickly or get the big money for wins? Also with the B-spec driver(s) is there any way to speed up the race? In GT4 you could speed it up to x3 or whatever - I haven't found a way of doing that in GT5 but I've only done one race with the B-spec driver so haven't really delved into that too much.
A good way to build up points & cash is to do the seasonal events (which are updated every few weeks). You get a percentage increase, which builds up every day (back to normal if you miss a day) and really boosts your income. You need to be online for these though.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3107094)   #524
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got an xbox but my mate recently got a PS3. I loved GT4 on the PS2, so I ordered GT5 and invaded his new console. I kind of enjoyed it, in that it was nostalgic to play, but it felt so much like GT4! I know I know, I'm late to the party here, but I was a bit disappointed. And who the hell designed the god awful menu system.

I really want a combination of GT and Forza on the xbox. The better physics and graphics of Forza but with some kind of career progression in the game. At the moment both have some really strong areas but equally some very weak areas.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3107148)   #525
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A good way to build up points & cash is to do the seasonal events (which are updated every few weeks). You get a percentage increase, which builds up every day (back to normal if you miss a day) and really boosts your income. You need to be online for these though.
Thanks I haven't done any online stuff yet so I might have a look at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
but it felt so much like GT4! I know I know, I'm late to the party here, but I was a bit disappointed. And who the hell designed the god awful menu system.
The menu is very poor, the text is too small to read without zooming - and that's annoying. The UI in general is very much a backwards step. On the whole it's a good game but as you say - it's not that much of a step forward and certainly after the lengthy dev time and huge hype I would have expected more.