Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Jan 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3358448)   #501
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Why is it that we were able to do it with far less yellows back in the 70's and 80's
when 70-80 cars started and the speed differentials were far greater?

Is it called "orchestration"???
Back then race control didn't have a hair trigger and wouldn't throw a FCY for every hotdog wrapper that drifted on to the track.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3358453)   #502
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Spratt View Post
Ahh, so you agree then, good. Power isn't the only factor is it? In relative terms the P2 cars have indeed been neutered and there is nothing they can do about it.
I said 'might'... the PC cars run on the same tires, and they are doing just fine. Now seeing how a P2 is an all around better and more powerful car, they shouldn't be as close to the PCs as they appear to be right now.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3358455)   #503
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Back then race control didn't have a hair trigger and wouldn't throw a FCY for every hotdog wrapper that drifted on to the track.
That was my point...thus the "Is it called "orchestration"??? "

jimclark
Old 25 Jan 2014, 14:46 (Ref:3358458)   #504
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to just barge in like this but the big day is finally here! Gonna try to watch the whole 24!
Old 25 Jan 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3358462)   #505
belt driven
Veteran

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The field isn’t unduly large; 70 was the norm until the last few years’ shrinkage w/ the economy. 58 started in 2012. I can’t quote any more years right now because they’ve shut down the GA and ALMS websites so no more archives.

I went to the 24 from ’91-’95 and saw midnite temps from 50’s down to freezing. There’s always been cold and always been chance of fog, so you can’t blame the weather for a caution flag fest(yet). 2012 went the greatest distance in 20 years and only 28 laps/52 miles short of the all time record.

What could be a problem is 4 classes over a 10 second spread vs. 2 classes within 8 seconds. Will the P drivers be able to tell the GT cars apart at night and not be caught out by a GTD braking earlier than a GTLM?

There has long been a large (70-80) international contingent of drivers. Last year there were 16 with F1 seat time. This time there are a lot of so designated “pro” and “am” drivers new to the track. I hope they don’t add more than their share to bus stop carnage.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3358477)   #506
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A positive aspect of a 24-hour race: even if there are a few too many cautions, there will still be plenty of racing.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3358479)   #507
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Manipulation. They can't orchestrate a close race, but they can manipulate it so it looks close.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 15:36 (Ref:3358483)   #508
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I wanna say it´s insurance driven but that´s probably only partial the cause.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3358485)   #509
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good morning everybody, a new dawn, a chance for a new beginning. I'm at work for 1/2 day so I will try and keep up with events as best as I can. Looking forward to how this plays out and how it is managed by the powers that be. Hoping for the best, and rooting for the ALMS teams who I am most familiar with. I have been looking forward to this for what seems like years.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3358491)   #510
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Why is it that we were able to do it with far less yellows back in the 70's and 80's

Bigger speed differentials make passing easier, no need to try and squeeze through on risky moves. Also in those days attrition was quite high, so fewer cars on track by morning.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3358501)   #511
canciaro
Racer

Canada
Windsor
canciaro is a back marker
http://www.racer.com/imsa-p2s-can-ma...rticle/331089/

The P2s are expected to double or even triple stint their Continental spec tires, which could offer a major advantage in the first laps of a stint because they are already up to working temperature.

What is the point of double or triple stinting tires when you use Grand-Am pit stop rules, just change tires every time. Stupid

Michigan Football & Basketball, Oregon Football, Detroit Tigers
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:16 (Ref:3358502)   #512
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Often when I see old footage of accidents my armhair still raises because of the almost full blown racing you can see just meters apart from stranded cars, often accompanied by marshalls working on them. Sure, sometimes FCY's are supicious or every now and then even obviously overdone, but I would not like to go back to the days that fights were decided on the basis of who dared to ignore local yellows the most.

About the tyres: that's stupid. What a waste of money and resourses.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:16 (Ref:3358503)   #513
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Good article by Oliver Runschke on the BoP-Situation(in German, but with good quotes from the MMPR drivers):

Quote:
The qualifying results paint a distorted picture. Luhr was fighting power steering issues and Pickett Racing are quite ready to admit that the Oreca-Nissan is still new for them and they are still working on the basics and haven't yet unlocked the cars full potential.

Klaus Graf thinks they might stand a chance against the DPs in the race: «We think that the Dps and the P2s will be much closer in the race than during qualifying. The DPs are wickedly fast, but they won't be able to go that pace over a long period of time. [...] If you disregard the top times from each session and take a look at the long runs, you'll see that we are within the top 5, and we can absolutely live with that.
So, let's sum this up:
- power steering issues
- new car problems
- nowhere near the car's full potential

And they still think they'll be competitive in the race: If anything the balance might be skewed towards the P2-side of things. If they had all these problems and would be competitive it'd be quite the farce.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3358504)   #514
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So who wins this thing quys?

I am going to take...

P: 02 Chip Ganassi Racing
PC: 54 CORE Autosport
LM: 912 Porsche North America
D: 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3358506)   #515
Speed-King
Veteran

Taylor
Don't care
Viper (the one with Farnbacher)
Magnus
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3358507)   #516
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FYI: For those that have FS2 there is a 30min pre-race show at 1:30 eastern time.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3358509)   #517
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
FYI: For those that have FS2 there is a 30min pre-race show at 1:30 eastern time.

Checked my program listing for FOX, and there are two 30 minute "Paid Programming" segments before the race start. Why cant they just move the 30 minute pre-race and take over one of those paid programming segments....I guess it boils down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3358511)   #518
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
P: 10 WTR (Fords both suffer electrical or engine issues, OAK highest finishing P2)
PC: 8 Starworks Motorsport
GTLM: 911 Porsche NA
GTD: 27 Dempsey Racing
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:31 (Ref:3358513)   #519
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
P : 90 SoD
PC : do not care one iota.
GTLM : 3 Corvette
GTD : Can't decide.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3358514)   #520
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Don't care
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
PC : do not care one iota.
I'd have to agree with you both on the PC class...
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3358515)   #521
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
P: 10 WTR (Fords both suffer electrical or engine issues, OAK highest finishing P2)
PC: 8 Starworks Motorsport
GTLM: 911 Porsche NA
GTD: 27 Dempsey Racing
There are three Fords, not two (Ginassi x 2 and Michael Shank Racing) but I too question their reliability.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3358518)   #522
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Checked my program listing for FOX, and there are two 30 minute "Paid Programming" segments before the race start. Why cant they just move the 30 minute pre-race and take over one of those paid programming segments....I guess it boils down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Paid programming pays the affiliate. A pre-race show does not.

The Ford DPs will blow up/have engine problems. Shank has already changed an engine, I believe.

I'm going for any P2, Muscle Milk foremost, don't care who wins LMPC, Aston and Porsche in GTE, and FLM and the wonderfully named Patrick Lindsey in the 73 Park Place 911 in GTD.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:44 (Ref:3358521)   #523
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
So who wins this thing quys?
22 <- Picked at random.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3358522)   #524
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine aren't quite predictions...more like commentary:

P : rooting for Klaus...but one would think 'the France family' wants a Corvette DP
PC : RSR has a stacked line-up in both cars (Bruno's a beast so long as one of the kids doesn't wreck it before his final stint)
GTLM : rooting for Goose...but prob Corvette (see above...P)
GTD : wish they weren't in the field...stay out of the way please.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3358524)   #525
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
Cool....appreciate the heads-up...I have both FS as part of FIOS basic.