Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jan 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2098320)   #501
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
I'll jump on that bandwagon!
Same with me!
Old 3 Jan 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2098619)   #502
SEATFreak
Racer

Spain
SEATFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
Defending SEAT, are we?
No, course not! That was never my intention! No matter how much of a fan of the team I am.

If SEAT are doing something irregular then they should be made to pay the consequences.

I was just an innocent worry that's all that if we slap a ballast penalty on the diesels then it might set a trend where other types of cars might follow suit.

Polestar ran bio-diesel at Anderstorp.
A good team (not necessarily Polestar) decides to do a full debut WTC campaign running an engine in a car powered by bio-diesel. The bio-diesel engine proved every bit as efficient and competitive as SEAT's diesel and the success is a big factor in the team deciding to do a second year where it proved succesful enough again for the team to go for a third season.

Can you give a cast-iron guarantee that because of their success in their first two years, their wouldn't be calls from some quarters for the car to have a penalty ballast slapped on in the third year?

It seems success gives an unfair advantage on the others and it should have restrictions on it.

Last edited by SEATFreak; 3 Jan 2008 at 13:46.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2098627)   #503
Robbe
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Robbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Polestar ran a Bio-Ethanol car in Anderstorp.

Penalty weights for good cars, or less weight for old/bad cars are a big problem in WTCC anyway, and diesel cars made it only worse.

From a spectator's view, I'd love to see no diesels in WTCC. They sound so... ahm, they don't even have a sound...
Old 3 Jan 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2098654)   #504
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They already are heavier than the non-diesel
Old 3 Jan 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2098704)   #505
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Just slap another 20Kg on for the oil-burners.

Though perhaps a weight penalty might deter BMW from going down the smokey route?
Old 3 Jan 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2098712)   #506
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as the turbo pressure is free I dont think it matters how much penalty weight they get.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2098743)   #507
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'm with Johan on this one. For me it makes no difference if they use petrol, diesel, bio-ethanol or strawberry yoghurt. Whatever the weight penalty all SEAT have to do is wind the boost up to 11.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2098856)   #508
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back the Group C rules!

Engine-type is free of choise (has to have a minimum rum of 5.000 cars though), but has to have a mileage of 20 littres per 100 km!

May the best engine win!
Old 3 Jan 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2098867)   #509
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira
May the best engine win!
Yes, let's jack up the costs and force out all the privateers, killing off touring car racing!
Old 3 Jan 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2098894)   #510
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira
Engine-type is free of choise (has to have a minimum rum of 5.000 cars though), but has to have a mileage of 20 littres per 100 km!
Make it 5L per 100km then so they will develop technology that will shut up the treehuggers and result in usefull developments for roadcar use. That's something that I miss in modern racing; because of tight rules it's no longer the wide platform to experiment with technology for roadcars it used to be. On the other hand, such loose regulations would definitely kill the sport again because the budgets would skyrocket.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 07:27 (Ref:2099087)   #511
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
What I think its quite astonishing that diesels are allowed to run with free turbo pressure. In virtually all other classes where turbos are involved, diesel or petrol, they get a lot of weight compared to the N/A.
Not so in rally raid There you also only have an air restrictor for turbodiesel cars.

That seems to work quite fine because BMW and VW have not succeeded in beating Mitsubishi with their two-stage turbo diesel. Mitsubishi however acknowlegdes that diesels have an advantage, because they are developing their own diesel engine for next year.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2099095)   #512
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Geez. I can honestly say now that Nilsson was indeed right, TC is going in bad direction with technical rules...
Old 4 Jan 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2099129)   #513
SEATFreak
Racer

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbe
Penalty weights for good cars, or less weight for old/bad cars are a big problem in WTCC anyway, and diesel cars made it only worse.
How do you mean?

I got the sense certainly that the organisers of touring car championships try to equalise every car and seemingly have chosen to do this by taking away weight from old or bad cars to compensate for perhaps a lack of pace and add weight to strong cars who have quite a lot of it. Perhaps too much of it. But never did I imagine the situation to be this bad where everything has penalty ballast slapped on it.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2100171)   #514
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
#DriverClassTeamCarStatus
1Andy Priaulx (GBR) BMW Team UK (Racing Bart Mampaey)BMW 320siConfirmed
2Jörg Müller (GER) BMW Team Germany (Schnitzer Motorsport)BMW 320siConfirmed
3Augusto Farfus (BRA) BMW Team Germany (Schnitzer Motorsport)BMW 320siConfirmed
4Alessandro Zanardi (ITA) BMW Team Italy-Spain (ROAL Motorsport)BMW 320siConfirmed
5Félix Porteiro (ESP) BMW Team Italy-Spain (ROAL Motorsport)BMW 320siConfirmed
6Alain Menu (SUI) Chevrolet Racing (Ray Mallock Ltd)Chevrolet LacettiConfirmed
7Nicola Larini (ITA) Chevrolet Racing (Ray Mallock Ltd)Chevrolet LacettiConfirmed
8TBA (Huff?) Chevrolet Racing (Ray Mallock Ltd)Chevrolet LacettiConfirmed
9Gabriele Tarquini (ITA) SEAT Sport (Oreca?)SEAT León TDIConfirmed
10Yvan Muller (FRA) SEAT Sport (Oreca?)SEAT León TDIConfirmed
11Jordy Gené (ESP) SEAT Sport SEAT León TDIConfirmed
12Tiago Monteiro (POR) SEAT Sport SEAT León TDIConfirmed
13Rickard Rydell (SWE) SEAT Sport SEAT León TDIConfirmed
14Pierre-Yves Corthals (BEL)IExagon EngineeringSEAT LeónConfirmed
15TBAIRacing for BelgiumTBA (SEAT León?)Confirmed
16Franz Engstler (GER)IEngstler MotorsportBMW 320siConfirmed
17Andrej Romanov (RUS)IEngstler MotorsportBMW 320siConfirmed
18Mikael Nykjær (DEN)IPoulsen MotorsportBMW 320si2 or 3 races
19Kristian Poulsen (DEN) IPoulsen MotorsportBMW 320si2 or 3 races
20Melvin Choo (SIN)IMelvin ChooBMW 320siJAP & MAC
21James Thompson (GBR) N.TechnologyTBA (Honda Accord?)Confirmed
 TBA (Tielemans?) N.TechnologyTBA (Honda Accord?)Rumour
 TBA (Hernández?)IProteam MotorsportBMW 320siLikely
 TBAIProteam MotorsportBMW 320siLikely
 Tom Coronel (NED) SEAT Team Holland (GR Asia?)SEAT LeónLikely
 TBA (Turkington?) West Surrey RacingBMW 320siUnlikely
 TBA (Huisman?) West Surrey RacingBMW 320siUnlikely
 TBA IBrazilian teamSEAT LeónRumour
 TBA IBrazilian teamSEAT LeónRumour
 TBAIRussian Bears MotorsportBMW 320iRumour
 TBAIRussian Bears MotorsportBMW 320iRumour
Old 5 Jan 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2100205)   #515
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any up to date news on James Thompson and which car he is driving for N technology, I understand there chasing a works Honda contract but If this fails will continue with the Alfa, is this where they are at the moment?
Old 5 Jan 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2100235)   #516
wolfi_555
Rookie

Germany
Germany
wolfi_555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is Wiechers Sport with the BMW 320si in the list?
Old 5 Jan 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2100244)   #517
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
Is there any up to date news on James Thompson and which car he is driving for N technology, I understand there chasing a works Honda contract but If this fails will continue with the Alfa, is this where they are at the moment?
Even if they get no factory support I expect they enter JAS Accords.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64440
Old 5 Jan 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2100246)   #518
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfi_555
Where is Wiechers Sport with the BMW 320si in the list?
I have put only drivers/teams in the list who are confirmed/rumoured in printed and online media.

I expect Wiechers will be back with at least one car. As a German do you have more news about Wiechers (or other German drivers/teams)?
Old 6 Jan 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2100473)   #519
SEATFreak
Racer

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I have put only drivers/teams in the list who are confirmed/rumoured in printed and online media.

I expect Wiechers will be back with at least one car.
Could you have put Weichers and Stefano D'Aste down as 'likely'?

Speaking of which like Tom Coronel in 2006 will this mean Stefano will be competing for the Drivers Trophy this season?
Old 7 Jan 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2101309)   #520
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevrolet have confirmed their lineup - same as '07 (and 06, and 05 come to that)
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64554
Old 7 Jan 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2101430)   #521
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
phew - pleased about that. They (ok I really mean Rob) will hopefully have a great 2008
Old 7 Jan 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2101462)   #522
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2101743)   #523
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once i've got a thought, that the best decision for tcc will be adopting of new S2000+ rally rules - AWD is equal for FWD and RWD cars, especially with standartized transmission, 2L turbo petrol or ethanol engine will be the single choice, and finally, same model's would run in both world champoinships
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2101789)   #524
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok
Once i've got a thought, that the best decision for tcc will be adopting of new S2000+ rally rules - AWD is equal for FWD and RWD cars, especially with standartized transmission, 2L turbo petrol or ethanol engine will be the single choice, and finally, same model's would run in both world champoinships
S2000 rally uses a 2L NA engine, no turbo.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2101793)   #525
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but there was a proposal to stick a compressor on S2000 cars and let them replace current WRC cars. Not surprisingly Prodrive and MSport are not thrilled to move away from regs that gave them monopoly on a strong customer base even if that meant more constructors for WRC.
Closed Thread

Tags
wtcc