Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Apr 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3239779)   #5301
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Toyota isn't Audi so theres no reason to expect them to act the same. They showed pictures of the roll out car last year until suddenly the Spa race they had the finished package for Le Mans. Toyota also said they haven't run the sprint package on their 2013 car. So there is still reason not to show a finished car because after LeMans is still a good deal of time to copy anything. Rebellion also made double endplates so its not just Audi. Hpd is also a competitor and who knows if one of them will try a similar thing Toyota does. I rather like the element of surprise anyway. And we know the Japanese are modest people.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3239791)   #5302
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
So you are saying that they should keep the car secret until the last moment. That is their good right. Why do they release these useful blurry images?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3239808)   #5303
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
As far as gaining PR exposure, Audi's attitude shows that there is no point in hiding what is evident to the naked eye, the last example being the tests of the long-tail version of the R18 at Monza.
I get it, but the videos from Monza and majority of the pics posted here [in R18 thread] are not from Audi themselves.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3239819)   #5304
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
So you are saying that they should keep the car secret until the last moment. That is their good right. Why do they release these useful blurry images?
Useful or useless? I don't do Toyota's PR so you ask them. They obviously do what they want but Blurry pictures or not I follow them, its a week away until the 2013 car debuts. I don't have a problem waiting. If Audi want to show their 'long tail' thats cool, still doesn't mean Toyota have to follow suit. The teams are different so how they push media will be as well.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3239822)   #5305
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
They're the photographers artistic vision most likely, they attract more attention than a 'normal' image and that's most likely what Toyota want. It's not a proper press release image and it's not for showing off the new car in the same way Audi have.

To me they're just some nice pictures of the car and why people are saying that Toyota are paranoid because they released an arty shot or that the shot is useless because it doesn't do x y or z are just being plain silly at this point.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3239824)   #5306
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I get it, but the videos from Monza and majority of the pics posted here [in R18 thread] are not from Audi themselves.
Sure, but running at tracks like Abu Dhabi and Monza favour the "dissemination" of such pictures and videos. I trust that Audi are well aware of this
Old 27 Apr 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3239840)   #5307
TF110
Veteran

United States
Maybe journalists can try their luck snapping photos where Toyota tests? Maybe they know better not to.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3239901)   #5308
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe Toyota is just trying to create some hype.
If that's the case, it is not working... At least for me
Old 27 Apr 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3239905)   #5309
TF110
Veteran

United States
Theres a reason behind everything. Doubt this is for hype.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 08:28 (Ref:3239913)   #5310
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post

Thats the best image I could find. Double endplates on the car. Bulbous headlights on there as well. Looks like the LM package with the shape of the front fenders. I think the focus is Le Mans so the car is being centered around that until after that race. One of the drivers stated they haven't tried the 2013 car in sprint form. I think Anthony Davidson said that at Silverstone after he said the new car was faster but couldn't make a direct comparison.
If I am not mistaken, Toyota will run a single 2013-spec car at Spa and I understand that this will be the #7 car driven by Wurz, Lapierre and Nakijima. Now, this picture shows the #8 car which will be in 2012-spec for the Spa race. Are Toyota showing us blurry pictures of the 2012-spec car ?
Old 27 Apr 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3239936)   #5311
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
But when you get to the core of the point of the racing, it is to get your company name out and discussed. That is the SOLE reason for racing; marketing. Look at all the discussion that has gone on this past week about Audi. And from what? A few photos and videos that they themselves didn't even have to post. Brilliant! And next week in Race Car Engineering there will be an article about that R18 "long tail" and blown diffuser; even MORE column inches.

But nothing about Toyota. Not a peep.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3239937)   #5312
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Theres a reason behind everything. Doubt this is for hype.
Presumably for tedium then.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 10:57 (Ref:3239938)   #5313
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
But when you get to the core of the point of the racing, it is to get your company name out and discussed. That is the SOLE reason for racing; marketing. Look at all the discussion that has gone on this past week about Audi. And from what? A few photos and videos that they themselves didn't even have to post. Brilliant! And next week in Race Car Engineering there will be an article about that R18 "long tail" and blown diffuser; even MORE column inches.

But nothing about Toyota. Not a peep.
Exactly.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3239941)   #5314
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Toyota beat Audi at Le Mans this year it will be worth a 1000x more than niche column inches and forum speculation.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3239951)   #5315
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
If Toyota beat Audi at Le Mans this year it will be worth a 1000x more than niche column inches and forum speculation.
Well, if Toyota's marketing is all about winning the 24h of Le Mans they better win it.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3239963)   #5316
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why the hell they must copy AUDI????

If they want to promote their image this way let them do it!!!!
They are 2 different brands with diferent philosophy.

I love Audi and the way they raise the game in endurance, but i´m starting to like Toyota and their oriental mentality. In only 2 years they are doing a great job.

The 2013 car will be awesome I believe , and a big threat to AUDI in Le Mans this year.

But one thing is sure... when Porsche hit the road my support will be for them.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3239997)   #5317
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
My only wish is to see a close battle between Toyota and Audi this year, especially at Le Mans. Audi appear to have made good progress over the winter and they have definitely taken Toyota's threat very seriously. Who would have expected otherwise after the 2012 season ?

Why are Toyota apparently so shy about communicating more extensively less than a week before the Spa race ? Either they have a "secret weapon" that they are highly reluctant to talk about or there is simply not much to be talked about.

Honestly, they are apparently operating with the same budget as last year and one should not expect miracles. I have hopes, as most here, that Toyota will be up to the challenge, but will that happen ? Time will tell.

I am not asking nor expecting Toyota to "copy" Audi's approach, but Toyota could definitely do better with their communication IMHO. Am I expecting too much in that respect ?

I am keeping my fingers crossed. We shall have a first indication as to where the 2013-spec TS030 stands with respect to the R18 next week at Spa.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3240040)   #5318
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends what you mean by communication. If you want them to reveal new car secrets then that's one thing. I actually think they do a lot better than Audi in areas like social media.

There's always going to be challenges between what the engineering side want and what the PR department want to do.

Just because they aren't putting everything on a plate. So actually yes I think you are expecting a bit too much.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3240044)   #5319
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Toyota do tonnes of PR. Crikey, you've seen how much stuff TF110 copy and pastes verbatim in this thread!

However we know whenever they are on track, we've seen articles on the Sim and the GT-One recently and the drivers are always out there.
It's not their fault that we end up making what they put out there boring by taking it all a little too far.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3240105)   #5320
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
If I am not mistaken, Toyota will run a single 2013-spec car at Spa and I understand that this will be the #7 car driven by Wurz, Lapierre and Nakijima. Now, this picture shows the #8 car which will be in 2012-spec for the Spa race. Are Toyota showing us blurry pictures of the 2012-spec car ?
According to Leupen "at least one 2013 car"? >> http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...65#post3238065
Old 27 Apr 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3240120)   #5321
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
did it ever occur to anyone here, that any PR that AUDI is doing is also PR for TOYOTA?

let me elaborate. as of this moment Toyota's the real threat to AUDI. and as such, any progress by audi will only raise curiosity about the Toyota camp. and the way they are very secrative about their work, is doing wanders IMO
Old 28 Apr 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3240144)   #5322
TF110
Veteran

United States
They've obviously got ten-tenthers talking! I think the #8 on the side of the car may be either a decoy or it may actually be the "#8 car". If thats the case maybe they'll use it at LeMans, or hopefully Spa in one form of a second 2013 car, but I only expect the #7 to be new.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3240172)   #5323
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Interesting.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3240202)   #5324
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Toyota do tonnes of PR. Crikey, you've seen how much stuff TF110 copy and pastes verbatim in this thread!

However we know whenever they are on track, we've seen articles on the Sim and the GT-One recently and the drivers are always out there.
It's not their fault that we end up making what they put out there boring by taking it all a little too far.
Is the article about the GT-One on the Toyota Hybrid website?
Old 28 Apr 2013, 11:01 (Ref:3240214)   #5325
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It was on DSC if I remember correctly. It was from their visit a few months back. The little snippet I remember was that the race car seemed to have a higher ride height than the road car.