Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 29 Dec 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3600693)   #5451
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The project had so many things that had to go right and those same things were at high risk of going wrong. Toss in a likely lack of funding and an unrealistic development schedule and it was a recipe for disaster. I have my doubts about the concept, but it is unfair that we didn’t get to see if it had legs or not. I doubt we ever will.
I agree with this summary.

We can neither be certain that the concept was a complete failure, nor can we attribute it's failure solely to the hybrid part. Being adamant about either is incorrect.

Repeating what I have said before (getting into the spirit of the thread albeit without blinkered arrogance or personal insults) and based on my own observations the car needed much more development than the hybrid. There was a basic issue with braking and handling that restricted it's lap time to the poor level we saw at Le Mans. Corner exit you can see being aided by power from rear hybrid, but not the braking (or mid corner). The aptitude under braking was scary.

It is a shame we didn't get to see it developed more. With hindsight (or maybe not) it was clear that the time and resources weren't going to be there. The basic premise that the only way to beat Audi if you had a lower budget was to take a unconventional route was, in this case, incorrect. From that perspective this programme has not been a success.
Old 29 Dec 2015, 16:09 (Ref:3600721)   #5452
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a funny thing that a budget limited effort can succeed by finding some innovation that works and gives them an advantage. It seems that may have been part of the plan but wow - every part of the car was an innovation except for the steering wheel and the ICE - way too much at one time.
Secondly, it appears that nobody had any experience with FWD (not surprising given prototype background) or they would have known racing one is "an act against nature" and very different.
I would have loved to see a few of the novelties at a time to know what might work but overambition has scotched that.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 00:33 (Ref:3600788)   #5453
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
IMO, the project was so extreme overall that the guys at Nissan in charge of this program that if they pulled it off, they'd look like geniuses. If it failed, they'd look like idiots. And there was little margin for error between those two extremes.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 09:40 (Ref:3600900)   #5454
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know what will happen to the cars and parts if they've totally cut the program?
Old 30 Dec 2015, 11:15 (Ref:3600919)   #5455
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
IMO, the project was so extreme overall that the guys at Nissan in charge of this program that if they pulled it off, they'd look like geniuses. If it failed, they'd look like idiots. And there was little margin for error between those two extremes.
LITTLE? I'd say zero.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 11:54 (Ref:3600926)   #5456
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, where did the guys at Nissan end up? Got it right, they'd have been heroes. Got it wrong, they'd have been zeroes. And considering that the program's pretty much toast, I'd say they got it wrong and went from hero to zero in no time flat.

Of course, the guys who got shafted big time where the guys who got their pink slips. And they didn't even get that, just emails or text messages stating that they were layed off.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3600930)   #5457
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Not sure if joking, but if not, canning and redundancies just under Christmas is horrendous, not good timing. Besides the season effectively ended half a season ago so the dev frame was halway through already...

Audi/Porsche/Toyota initial reactions we're pretty much identical in tone to Audi/Pug's to AMR One. So maybe if Subaru or whomever comes along in the future and the others just giggle at their direction, we don't even have to guess what the pace's gonna be at LM.
I accept your point, was just thinking lots of teams still likely to have opportunities for good staff in 2016. Never is a good time to lose your job
Old 30 Dec 2015, 12:27 (Ref:3600932)   #5458
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite the disastrous results, they had the courage (stupidity?) to go all in on a daring concept. Whether it was for marketing purposes or a technical exercise or somewhere in the middle I think they should be applauded. That's why I watch sportscar racing and have loved it as long as I can remember. The crazy concepts the bigger than life personalities...I don't know about you but I have been massively entertained by this whole thing despite being highly doubtful it was ever going to succeed.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 13:56 (Ref:3600954)   #5459
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more it went on the more it became like another Nissan Garage 56 effort. Basically, that's what it was. They missed the preceding 2 races as they weren't ready, but rocked up at Le Mans with the added publicity, the car still wasn't ready, then pulled the plug on the rest of the season.

My patience with Nissan is running out ( yes, they've done a lot of good) I hope the ACO don't give them another G56 until they've proven they can run a full WEC programme.
Sorry for the cynicism.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3601050)   #5460
lne937s
Rookie

lne937s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they come back, as the concept deserves further development.

Having an optimized underbody and flow-through aero by not having the back filled up with engine and drivetrain has the potential to provide a strong enough L/D ratio to overcome any issues of weight transfer in terms of overall lap times. In the simulations, the car was significantly faster. The physics behind the concept are sound...

But the development was lacking. The hybrid drive didn't work, requiring significant redesign of the car. The rear suspension was not figured out yet, leading to less than ideal ride height. The crash structure was not up to snuff. And once all that was figured out, they would still need to test and optimize the setups for different tracks... I just hope that people do not write-off the concept because the execution was not fully developed.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3602210)   #5461
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is just a silly joke nothing more OK... please don´t get me wrong

- Is this the place were nissan will bury their lmp1 GT-R LM NIsmo... they at least have plate´s

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/la-...s-se-poursuit/

look at the photo nÂş2
Old 5 Jan 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3602243)   #5462
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm shocked they haven't torn down the numerous Nissan PR stickers on the sides of the road yet, in my mind I imagined raged Pierre Fillon and Vincent Beaumesnil running to them with torches and axes right after the announcement was made.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3602246)   #5463
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nissan will probably continue the Nissan/Nismo/EatSleepCringeRepeat stuff. Paint over the GTR stuff and continue on with LMP2 engines, pretending nothing happened.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3602250)   #5464
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah the great Zyt... Nissan engines.

That will be obsolete come the new spec regs.

I guess they could market the LMP3 or GT3, but I'm not sure how many will take note of the 1 hour MGT3CUP support race. There's also the GT Academy, but how long can you keep milking on that?

Last edited by Deleted; 5 Jan 2016 at 15:09.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 17:20 (Ref:3602287)   #5465
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
As long as it works. GTAcademy drivers take part in LM, Nissan supply the vast majority of lmp2 engines. The sponsorship won't drop because the lmp1 isn't racing.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 17:24 (Ref:3602288)   #5466
Deleted
Veteran

Yeah as I said the supply-branding ends as soon as the Zytek spec engine is enforced, so after that has happened all there is for Nissan (in the main race) is the GT Academy. Are they still making those contests?
Old 5 Jan 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3602289)   #5467
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It's not 2017 yet. Maybe come back to the topic in a year's time? So far, the branding is staying. But beyond this year, who knows?
Old 5 Jan 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3602349)   #5468
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Maybe Nissan wants to rebrand the spec Zytek engine as 'GT Academy' and let their Playstation boys drive an Oreca or 2?
Old 5 Jan 2016, 21:37 (Ref:3602360)   #5469
Deleted
Veteran

Wasn't it a great success this year when Morand rebranded the Judd-BMW on the Pescarolo as SARD. I'm still not sure what the point of all that was, as if anyone was ever gonna buy SARD had anything to do with the power (even if SARD had been more than just vaporware in that mess of a team). Similarly what will the point of these surely inevitable upcoming Zytek engine rebrandings, you know "Mobil 1" or "Cairos Technologies" or whatever dollar sign names they'll come up with... you could have those sponsor titles in your regular title, like "Oreca Matmut" or "Peugeot Total" etc

It's insane that you cannot have OEM branded engine in LMP2, but you can in LMP3 (even though the Nissan is spec there too). Not to mention that the spec chassis number is higher in the smaller class! It makes no sense. Money lust is high.

Last edited by Deleted; 5 Jan 2016 at 21:43.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 00:08 (Ref:3602387)   #5470
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
SARD also sponsored the Greaves Zytek, which of course had a Nissan engine in it--that's about all Gibson Tech will put in their own chassis, since they also build/sell the engines.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 00:21 (Ref:3602390)   #5471
Deleted
Veteran

Regardless, the Zytek-Nissan of Greaves wasn't rebadged as SARD on the official documents, unlike the Judd-BMW of Morand was.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 18:04 (Ref:3604118)   #5472
Deleted
Veteran

Noticed that the Super Bowl ad price per 30 seconds on CBS has gone to 5 million USD this year, meaning that the same 90 second ad would've cost Nissan 15 million instead of 13,5 million of last year. So probably glad they did it then with this tie-up and not now.

Of course they will probably* still place for this year but for generic road cars. I'm not sure if CBS is offering 15 second slots now like NBC was last year

*haven't seen it listed yet though so perhaps sabbatical for overspending

Last edited by Deleted; 12 Jan 2016 at 18:10.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 08:34 (Ref:3605830)   #5473
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like Andy Blackmore doesn't have Nissan sponsorship for the ELMS/WEC/LM guides this year. Are Nissan just dropping all marketing now?
Old 18 Jan 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3605852)   #5474
Deleted
Veteran

Hopefully that would apply to RLM as well.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 09:50 (Ref:3605856)   #5475
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Hopefully that would apply to RLM as well.
Only if RLM manages to secure a large enough replacement, that is something I would hope for.
I rather listen and ignore "Eat,Sleep,Race,Repeat" than seeing RLM having to cut down because of lost sponsorship.