Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jun 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3980875)   #526
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well you can only catch it from someone who has it. I think lockdown was important to forcibly isolate people who had it and either didn't know or didn't care. Job done.

Now I want the figures for those who might have it so I can take a calculated risk. I'm quite comfortable that if I don't touch anything that's not mine I should be OK. I'm careful of door handles and switches, tables etc. I regularly disinfect the team's tables if anyone else is using them, if it's only me I'm not worried.

Which is why I think we're being let down by the lack of testing. We need to know the numbers. Not the R but the actual numbers that have it so we can make a proper risk assessment. This whole pandemic has been characterised by people blundering round in the dark to my mind.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Jun 2020, 09:47 (Ref:3980956)   #527
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
...I have an alcoholic solution ready at home, in my pocket and in my car...
What's that Gerard?

Vodka, gin or beer?
Old 9 Jun 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3980958)   #528
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Why not all three? Providing he likes all three that is
Old 9 Jun 2020, 17:53 (Ref:3981014)   #529
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
What's that Gerard? Vodka, gin or beer?
Good one Paul! If I tell you its a just add water job, your answer is… Ricard!
Old 10 Jun 2020, 00:55 (Ref:3981058)   #530
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Good one Paul! If I tell you its a just add water job, your answer is… Ricard!
I thought you just added Paul to Ricard, giving you the name of the man that financed the track (with his add water drink money)....
Old 10 Jun 2020, 08:14 (Ref:3981086)   #531
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I am puzzled that track days have started and karting when we are still limited in where we are allowed to travel. I've not been more than ten miles from home since it started and that was to collect a prescription. I've not bought fuel since March 6th and there is a still a quarter of a tank. I like in a lovely area so plenty of nice dog walks so I reckon I have walked far further than I have driven in the last three months. My App tells me I have nearly crossed the Sahara.
I did see that the police stopped an Enduro event on Sunday. The organisers perhaps should have said it was a protest meeting.
Having been involved in motorsport all my life this is by far the longest I've been without a meeting, competition, classic tour or any car action; by far. Funnily enough, I've not really missed it and kept busy with gardening and DIY.
I "attended" at meeting of the Hill Climb and Sprint Committee yesterday by Zoom. That saved m a sixteen hour day getting to Colnbrook and back.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3981170)   #532
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the recommendation of only a post chief and a single flag marshal on post, I assume incidents will be dealt with by rescue or fast intervention crews. If this is indeed the case, then have the clubs/circuits/organisers considered utilising a full course yellow to allow said response to get to the incident ?

And has anyone considered how to wave double yellows and a white flag ? Will the single flaggie be told to look up the track for yellow flag moments or down track for blue flagging ?

Will there be spare crews/vehicles in case a rescue vehicle, God forbid, have to leave the circuit ?

Lots to consider before we can get back on the bank.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 16:38 (Ref:3981172)   #533
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s hard if circuits can’t have multiple marshals on post and as you say it could lead to a few more full course yellows.

I trust that the British marshals’ clubs are looking into how best to cope with having one marshal per post and will make sure they are properly trained beforehand. I wouldn’t expect anything less from the British marshals, who have proven time and again to be the most professional in the world
Old 10 Jun 2020, 17:26 (Ref:3981183)   #534
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Powell View Post
With the recommendation of only a post chief and a single flag marshal on post, I assume incidents will be dealt with by rescue or fast intervention crews. If this is indeed the case, then have the clubs/circuits/organisers considered utilising a full course yellow to allow said response to get to the incident ?

And has anyone considered how to wave double yellows and a white flag ? Will the single flaggie be told to look up the track for yellow flag moments or down track for blue flagging ?

Will there be spare crews/vehicles in case a rescue vehicle, God forbid, have to leave the circuit ?

Lots to consider before we can get back on the bank.
Time for a fresh look at the way motor sport is administered both on and off track. ISTR that me and other drivers were asking questions of the "traditional way" on this very forum many years ago. I don't have answers, I'm not clever enough, but the questions must be asked if marshals are going to be able to enjoy themselves trackside again.

On a tangent, I work part time at a commercial kart centre and I've looked at the new Covid-reducing work practices and really it's not going to be fun. I probably won't bother to go back. I think a lot of race circuit marshals will think the same, hence the decision to only issue 50% of MSUK permits to start with. Motor sport could be hit worse from the restart than the lockdown.

Old 10 Jun 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3981184)   #535
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I "attended" at meeting of the Hill Climb and Sprint Committee yesterday by Zoom. That saved m a sixteen hour day getting to Colnbrook and back.[/QUOTE]

I think MUK must be keen on Zoom, we've got the Dragster sub committee meeting next Wednesday @ 2pm, using it. Good for me, no 120 mile round trip to Santa Pod and no getting home after midnight.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 18:29 (Ref:3981191)   #536
S griffin
Veteran

Hopefully they won’t have to rely on zoom much longer, some of the MSUK officials should start to meet at events. Of course Zoom is easy for staying at home, but will it become obsolete once everything is back to normal?
Old 10 Jun 2020, 19:19 (Ref:3981197)   #537
midgetman
Veteran

I sincerely hope the opposite will happen. Look at the resources two committe members on here are using up to get to a meeting. Increase the use of Zoom I say! (Maybe this should move to the electric car thread )

Old 10 Jun 2020, 19:58 (Ref:3981207)   #538
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me to, just think of the time and money (expenses) that will be saved.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 20:00 (Ref:3981208)   #539
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
I trust that the British marshals’ clubs are looking into how best to cope with having one marshal per post and will make sure they are properly trained beforehand. I wouldn’t expect anything less from the British marshals, who have proven time and again to be the most professional in the world[/QUOTE]

The various Marshals organisations and MUK having been working on this for weeks.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 20:14 (Ref:3981213)   #540
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I am puzzled that track days have started and karting when we are still limited in where we are allowed to travel.
In England, you’ve never been limited in where you are allowed to travel.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 06:28 (Ref:3981246)   #541
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
You may have seen new dates announced for the postponed Master Series events.

Donington Festival will be on 18/19 July and Brands Hatch on 22/23 August - both planned to be behind closed doors - certainly the July event will be as I believe the MSUK permits for July are only for closed public attendance events.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 07:28 (Ref:3981252)   #542
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Me to, just think of the time and money (expenses) that will be saved.
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Of course this makes HS2 even more necessary (not). However from an economic viewpoint we need it sadly

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

I do wish MSUK would get back to the office though. I still need my MGB HTP which was approved in February.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 07:55 (Ref:3981258)   #543
Derwent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Of course this makes HS2 even more necessary (not). However from an economic viewpoint we need it sadly

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

I do wish MSUK would get back to the office though. I still need my MGB HTP which was approved in February.
The costs of having committee meetings at Colnbrook will have cost the MSA, as it was, thousands a year. It's a difficult place to get to by road, train or air. Of course some used to say that the MSA liked it that way! The move to Bicester will help but I think using Zoom etc will be the way forward. Regional Associations and Club are using it for meetings.

Last edited by Derwent; 11 Jun 2020 at 08:01.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 08:08 (Ref:3981259)   #544
S griffin
Veteran

It must be hard finding a central location for these meetings. Let's hope the move to Bicester helps. No need to have it where it costs a fair bit of time and money to get to. It's good though that Zoom is being used as another option at the moment.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3981270)   #545
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The committees consist of folks from all over the UK. Unlikely that anywhere would be good for all. Hence Zoom, Bluejeans, Teams etc. Would be far better.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3981298)   #546
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It must be hard finding a central location for these meetings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre...United_Kingdom

Probably the best fit would be Appleby Parva in Leicestershire?
Old 11 Jun 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3981305)   #547
Derwent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre...United_Kingdom

Probably the best fit would be Appleby Parva in Leicestershire?
Haltwhistle is Northumberland claims to be the Centre of Britain. I would be happy if meetings were held there.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 10:38 (Ref:3981313)   #548
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I sincerely hope the opposite will happen. Look at the resources two committe members on here are using up to get to a meeting. Increase the use of Zoom I say! (Maybe this should move to the electric car thread )
When I was on the committee in the old ICS/Heritage series we had video link ups for the meetings, and this was back in the 90s !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jun 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3981335)   #549
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A question please. Who gets the gate money from spectators? The club or the circuit?
Old 11 Jun 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3981338)   #550
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
A question please. Who gets the gate money from spectators? The club or the circuit?
The circuit.