Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jan 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2367040)   #526
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett

Where could they be?
Not too far away from sand.

Qatar for example?

Silverstone would be high on my list,but probably not on Bernie's and he'd have enough time to sort out a French GP maybe somewhere in the south of the country rather than have to deal with the BRDC.

Then there's always the possibility of a GP across the pond.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2367042)   #527
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett

When I read that I find myself even more convinced they'll fail. Bernie also says if there's no deal in September he's got four or five venues ready to stage a race.

Where could they be?
Abroad? - Bernie has said where - Russia and Turkey was it?

Last edited by Farbrooke; 7 Jan 2009 at 14:03.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2367045)   #528
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbrooke
Abroad? - Bernie has said where - Russia and Turkey was it?
Already got one in Turkey which Bernie promotes himself.

Russia and India are on course to join the Bernie train any time soon though.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2367095)   #529
Petrol Head
Rookie

England
North London
Petrol Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Donington - perhaps putting a brave face on things - are saying the recession is helping, as they have the cash and builders are desperate for work. It would help planning permission as well, as the local councils will want the income.
Have to say, I was very sceptical at first of the whole Donington move - thought it might be a way of bleeding cash out of the BRDC by panicking them into seeing the GP move away. Didn't help that Donington came out to say public cars would not be allowed, and that they can sell the rights on (apparently) if they wish.

However, having read recent developments, I'm reasonably encouraged. At least they seem to have a clear direction and plan for the track. Can't help but think that Donington might be onto something, though i would still prefer to see it at Silverstone.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 8 Jan 2009 at 09:45.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2367286)   #530
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They don't need the infield. It doesn't add anything to the track.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2367300)   #531
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
They don't need the infield. It doesn't add anything to the track.
keeps Bernie happy,
so it adds F1 to the circuit!
No its not the most exciting track extension, although i think there are some interesting gradients on this section?
Old 7 Jan 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2367314)   #532
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, I seem to recall that the infield there is a bowl, basically.
That's why music festivals worked well there.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2367447)   #533
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Does it need the infield section for the circuit to be the required length?
Old 8 Jan 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2367620)   #534
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
Indeed, I seem to recall that the infield there is a bowl, basically.
That's why music festivals worked well there.
Actually only the Old Hairpin is a "bowl", the rest of the infield (including where the Festivals used to be held) is a sort of plateau (overlooking from the infield, the bowl of the Old Hairpin).

The MotoCross earthworks have messed up almost all of that area and the Festival last year was outside the circuit, mainly in the "Sunday Market" and Melbourne loop area.

Jim
Old 8 Jan 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2367621)   #535
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
Yes.

I think that area has the potential to be superb, particularly when viewed from the outfield above the Old Hairpin/Starkeys Bridge areas.

Regards

Jim
Old 8 Jan 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2367813)   #536
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Donnington gets the go ahead...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72677
Old 8 Jan 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2367829)   #537
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think that's great news.
I'm not against Silverstone, I've had some great times there and expect to have some more this year.
But, as Bernie has decided Silverstone will not host the British GP, I just want someone else to, anyone.
I wish all those involved the best of luck and, although we all have our doubts, I think we should at least give them the next 12 months berfore people start saying "I told you so".
Old 8 Jan 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2367835)   #538
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its good that f1 is going to a more intreasting circuit however that makes two circuits in the country that have been 'ecclestonised' - tarmac run offs every where etc. which isnt very good for bike racers and i expect there may be chnages to debries fencing etc as well, which will reduce quality of spectatimg at club meetings?

Overall i think it is a good move regarding f1 in the Uk
Old 8 Jan 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2367873)   #539
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great news for the British GP - little bit more detail here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/7815447.stm

Assume subject to approval of event management plan may refer to traffic both on the ground and in the air?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2368297)   #540
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont understand why air traffic will be a problem
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2368298)   #541
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Only two weeks or so ago, I would have said if this Donington development happens I'll show my arse in Woollies window.

However, now .... I guess it'll have to be Pound Stretcher.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2368300)   #542
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Only two weeks or so ago, I would have said if this Donington development happens I'll show my arse in Woollies window.

However, now .... I guess it'll have to be Pound Stretcher.
Can't wait for the big reductions in their closing down sale
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2368302)   #543
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Trouble is, garc, you'd be overpriced.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2368306)   #544
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Touché.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2368313)   #545
Tehillim
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tehillim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Dennis sounding very sceptical and making some good points:-

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72692

I'm not very optimistic about this.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2368319)   #546
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Just watch out for those cargo planes in your helicopter Ron.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2368330)   #547
Cornerworker
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare, UK
Cornerworker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_man
the race should have gone to brands hatch. Its a much better track, heaps better corners and flow.
...and there lies the problem, nice track, shame about everything else.

It will be Silverstone or abroad, if in doubt, Ron Dennis's comments at today's Watkins lecture will confirm that Donington is not going to work.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2368332)   #548
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i think everyone needs to give donington a break. lets just see what happens. at the end of the day silerstone had its chance and they wasted it...end of. now its time to see if donington can do a better job, if they can everyone wins. if they cant, well i cant see bernie keeping the british gp off the calender for too long, once he realises what a monumental mistake hes made....only time will tell but personally i want the gp at donington and ill support them all the way..if its the only chance of us getting it then they need all the support they can get. you can sit there and moan all you like but it wont do anyone any good!
Old 9 Jan 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2368376)   #549
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
No, its already the required length to run a GP.

I listened to Simon Gillet today at the Autosport show and, interestingly, he also said that the existing run offs were adequate for F1 too, & that there was no plans to increase the run offs on the existing bits of the track.

He also said that the planned building work could be done in time as much of the new buildings were going to be of modular construction. He also said that the planning permission gained last night was for "phase one" & that a "phase two" planning application would be made later in the year (presumably not for the 2010 GP, though).

Finally he is adamant that the Donington 2010 GP will be a "public transport GP" uilising park & ride, flying in to EMA, using the new Loughborough Parkway railway station etc etc and made the point that places like Wembley, Twickenham etc did not have parking for 80K visitors on site and yet they coped.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2368387)   #550
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Wembley doesn't cope, though...