Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jul 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3429328)   #526
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Bernie wants to drop Monza from the calendar.

Bernie Ecclestone: "It's not good. I don't think we'll do another contract, as the old one has been disastrous for us from a commercial point of view.

"So it's bye-bye after 2016."
This is Bernie's standard way of negotiating. "Its hopeless, so we will part ways with XYZ GP".
Then he has people fawning over him and they pipe to his tune and play his game.
Do we want Monza?
Do we need Monza?
Is Luca putting forward a change to Mugello which Ferrari own? (BE had a go at Ferrari's performance during the conversation).
Or does he have a mega money client lined up elsewhere?

Imola also would like another go at it.

Do we want Italians to make him an offer he can't refuse?
Or should it all just fall over and we can start again with a new structure? One without CVC owning everything and taking most of the profit home?
I'm not sure I want all this to continue nor do I want to see the Italians ripped off blindly just to satisfy other enthusiasts from other nations.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 07:15 (Ref:3429340)   #527
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Do we want Italians to make him an offer he can't refuse?
I would suggest that such an offer should come from a certain Sicilian Group, possibly accompanied by a horses head rather than a prancing one.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3429353)   #528
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
This is Bernie's standard way of negotiating...........

................One without CVC owning everything and taking most of the profit home?
I'm not sure I want all this to continue nor do I want to see the Italians ripped off blindly just to satisfy other enthusiasts from other nations.
No argument from me on most of what you asy. However, I do believe that you will now find that the teams between them currently receive/share in excess of 60% of the net profits from the Ecclestone/CVC empire, with the balance shared with the FIA.

As regards the plethora of new and future Grand Prix hosts, the vast majority are not even promoted by even enthusiasts; they tend to be people with local influence who want to establish a vanity project in their locality so as to attract the "beautiful" people and all the associated "bling". If snail racing could emulate a Grand Prix weekend, then they would go for that just as much as a Formula 1 race.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 18:42 (Ref:3429569)   #529
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
I would suggest that such an offer should come from a certain Sicilian Group, possibly accompanied by a horses head rather than a prancing one.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3429570)   #530
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As regards the plethora of new and future Grand Prix hosts, the vast majority are not even promoted by even enthusiasts; they tend to be people with local influence who want to establish a vanity project in their locality so as to attract the "beautiful" people and all the associated "bling". If snail racing could emulate a Grand Prix weekend, then they would go for that just as much as a Formula 1 race.
i would imagine they also do it for the very healthy salary/commission they get from securing the race and the sizable gov't subsidy that comes along with it.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3429576)   #531
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not strictly about future Grand Prix but more to do with the future of Grand Prixs in general, this is an interesting article and I find the second paragraph quite telling, in that I think it gives a very good insight into's Bernie's mind set.

"Ecclestone has dismissed the need for F1 to officially embrace the millions of people who use platforms like Twitter and Facebook because he sees no instant profit in it."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114755
Old 2 Jul 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3429585)   #532
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Not strictly about future Grand Prix but more to do with the future of Grand Prixs in general, this is an interesting article and I find the second paragraph quite telling, in that I think it gives a very good insight into's Bernie's mind set.

"Ecclestone has dismissed the need for F1 to officially embrace the millions of people who use platforms like Twitter and Facebook because he sees no instant profit in it."

No instant profit? Oh dear.
Tell that to Mark Zuckerberg and his friends, or Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone, Noah Glass and Evan Williams.

You're right. That would exemplify Bernie's attitude to a T.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3429590)   #533
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Which is why every f1 video gets pulled from YouTube. If Bernie isn't making money from it, he wants to block it, or isn't interested in embracing it in an official capacity.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3429603)   #534
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

When you’re 83, you tend to have a rather shortened perspective as to what constitutes the “long run.” What does is matter to Bernie if the series’ policies hurt it over the next 10 or 15 years, as it’s unlikely that he’ll still be in charge (or probably even alive) then.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3429605)   #535
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
When you’re 83, you tend to have a rather shorten perspective as to what constitutes the “long run.” What does is matter to Bernie if the series’ policies hurt it over the next 10 or 15 years, as it’s unlikely that he’ll still be in charge (or probably even alive) then.
Yes, but he's not exactly scraping a living is he? I'd go as far as to say that he's well off, actually...
Old 2 Jul 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3429611)   #536
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
When you’re 83, you tend to have a rather shorten perspective as to what constitutes the “long run.” What does is matter to Bernie if the series’ policies hurt it over the next 10 or 15 years, as it’s unlikely that he’ll still be in charge (or probably even alive) then.
I wouldn't know, I'm not 83 and I'm sure not all 83 year olds will necessarily think on those lines. However, what is clear is Bernie is driven by profit and this can be seen going all the way back to when he secured the TV rights for F1 in the early '80s.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3429612)   #537
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Yes, but he's not exactly scraping a living is he? I'd go as far as to say that he's well off, actually...
That’s beside the point. Bernie is the sort of person that wants to win big all the time — he’s a natural risk taker — it’s just he’s now looking for his cash-out immediately or almost immediately. And I'm sure he thinks he deserves every penny (pence?) he gets.
Old 3 Jul 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3430045)   #538
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More on the Italian GP situation. Apparently negociations have not yet started on any possible new deal with Monza. It is belived that the Italian GP is one of the protected ones by the FIA ( I think France also was) whether that means anything it is difficult to tell. Mugello seems ready to step in if Monza losses the GP. Could that be another one of Bernie's deals to keep his mates at Ferrari happy?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28372.html
http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news...oblems-malago/
Old 3 Jul 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3430057)   #539
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
You'd think if he was 83, he'd relax a bit. You can't bring that all cash with you.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 21:04 (Ref:3430687)   #540
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tifosi will feel betrayed if Monza loses his F1 venue. Better not Bernie!
Old 7 Jul 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3431428)   #541
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernie says he is ready to sign a new contract with the organisers at Monza on equal terms to all the other European GP's. Is that equal to Monaco or Silverstone because to the best of my knowledge thay pay very different fees to Bernie.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28422.html
Old 7 Jul 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3431578)   #542
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Bernie says he is ready to sign a new contract with the organisers at Monza on equal terms to all the other European GP's. Is that equal to Monaco or Silverstone because to the best of my knowledge thay pay very different fees to Bernie.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28422.html
According to this Monaco pays no sanctioning fee to Bernie.

http://www.thepaddockmagazine.com/ar...est-bet-102494

Paragraph 15.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 23:33 (Ref:3431592)   #543
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:

Paragraph 15.
Thankyou thats what I suspected. I have heard that Silverstone pays between £15 & 20million.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3431598)   #544
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Thankyou thats what I suspected. I have heard that Silverstone pays between £15 & 20million.
I may be wrong but I thought Silverstone, paid a reduced fee, compared to other tracks because of it's historical significance?
Old 8 Jul 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3431603)   #545
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie probably wants to get rid of the reduced fees as it means less money for him. On the other hand, it's hard to argue for reduced fees for circuits; yes places like Silverstone and Monza are historically significant (and personally I'd much rather they were on the calendar then most of the new tracks coming in nowadays), but it's not fair to the other circuits. (And before anyone jumps in, yes I know, life's not fair!)
Old 8 Jul 2014, 01:22 (Ref:3431615)   #546
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Paragraph 15.
There is a huge irony here, ignoring the cost of a GP, Monaco and its economy; gambling; probably derive a greater benefit from its Grand Prix than any other race! Then they get it for free as well!
Old 8 Jul 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3431683)   #547
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I may be wrong but I thought Silverstone, paid a reduced fee, compared to other tracks because of it's historical significance?
This years hosting fees is estimated to be about £13.5 million (US$23.1 million). The special deal Silverstone has with Uncle Bernie is that the annual fee rises by 5% each year, as opposed to 10% PA for most other host cities.

The BRDC has to try to cover the full running costs and hosting fee from ticket sales alone. This is the reason that Silverstone GP is one of the most expensive for ticket prices on the F1 calendar.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3431735)   #548
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
There is a huge irony here, ignoring the cost of a GP, Monaco and its economy; gambling; probably derive a greater benefit from its Grand Prix than any other race! Then they get it for free as well!
not sure about the benefit being that huge to monaco - almost all the locals abandon ship for that week, so many shops and businesses are tumbleweed central. granted, the bars and restaurants might see a pick-up in business and the hotels rake it in but that's true of any other grand prix. the average fan in the stands can't really afford to throw money around in monaco - bars and restaurants in nice and menton (and maybe ventimiglia and perhaps bordighera) probably see a decent pickup in business for that time of the year though. but that's in france (and italy) though

also it clashes with the film festival almost every year so it's difficult to see where one starts and the other begins.

/overanalysis of a casual comment
Old 8 Jul 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3431736)   #549
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
When I went to Monaco in 2012, it was the week just before the GP, and they had just ran the classic race so all the barriers and grandstands were up. We had coffee and cake at cafe Paris and it came to about 12 euros which wasn't too bad. Then we found a bar in the old part of Monaco (up on the hill) which had beers for 4 euro, so it was far far cheaper than I was led to believe. People were telling me before I went that it would be 20 quid a pint etc.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3431739)   #550
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it is if you're daft enough to seek refreshment in the popular haunts during the actual weekend to be fair!