Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Oct 2008, 03:17 (Ref:2305787)   #551
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
I really don't think an evaluation was intentionally set up. They had no time to change engines and they get Kumhos on the cheap... I know for a fact Intersport knows the Dunlops are better than the Kumhos.
Im still puzzled as to why they put the worst tires and drivers in the best car.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 04:28 (Ref:2305796)   #552
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
I really don't think an evaluation was intentionally set up. They had no time to change engines and they get Kumhos on the cheap... I know for a fact Intersport knows the Dunlops are better than the Kumhos.
Funny, talking with Jon & Clint, they both said they really liked the Kumhos when they both had turned some laps in the #30 car... Kinda made them think about what was the problem way back when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r
Im still puzzled as to why they put the worst tires and drivers in the best car.
I wouldn't be surprised that the Intersport team goes back to those 'worst tires' for next year...
Old 7 Oct 2008, 04:47 (Ref:2305801)   #553
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well how much development has Kumho been putting into those P1 tires, or are they the same type of tires Intersport used last year?
Old 7 Oct 2008, 05:13 (Ref:2305808)   #554
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
I wouldn't be surprised that the Intersport team goes back to those 'worst tires' for next year...
Neither would i, every decision Intersport seems to make lately is the worst possible decision.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 05:25 (Ref:2305809)   #555
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
How so?
Old 7 Oct 2008, 05:59 (Ref:2305814)   #556
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How so?
They didn't buy 2 RS Spyders and a Michelin contract with 4 Top Pro drivers!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 7 Oct 2008 at 06:07.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 06:13 (Ref:2305816)   #557
peckadj
Racer

peckadj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stefan = crashes????
the only crashes i remeber was in 2002 (audi alms) he slipt on the brakepedal and in 2001 (gulf audi lms) on the last lap in qual, after start/finish).
i belive he is known for not making any big mistakes and always bringing the car back home (unlike dindo, herbert, jj)
Old 7 Oct 2008, 08:51 (Ref:2305915)   #558
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I don't see going with Kumho as being a bad idea at all. At the moment Michelins are unquestionably the tyres to have, and if they aren't available why not try a leftfield approach with a potentially big payoff? Kumho are a colossal company and if their investment pays off then Intersport could see themselves in a very nice position indeed.

As such I don't see PLM as a case of Intersport really doing a back to back test of packages (as has been said, that would be terrible science) but rather starting to re-establish a relationship with an organisation that could be a very significant partner going forward.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2305917)   #559
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And cutting Werner off at Laguna Seca last year: Stefan was in an Acura, Marco was in an Audi R10-guess who won that battle?!

However, that wasn't an accident, but rather a despiration move to hold his position. I don't know Stefan as a crasher, but he was a little to over-aggressive at Laguna last year.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2306011)   #560
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its no fun being a second tear team, with only some factory support. Might be better to be completely independent so you can do what you need to do with out factory restrictions or intervention.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 14:54 (Ref:2306166)   #561
peckadj
Racer

peckadj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
And cutting Werner off at Laguna Seca last year: Stefan was in an Acura, Marco was in an Audi R10-guess who won that battle?!

However, that wasn't an accident, but rather a despiration move to hold his position. I don't know Stefan as a crasher, but he was a little to over-aggressive at Laguna last year.
all i remember from that race is that he passed one porche _and_ one audi, later he was hit from behind
Old 7 Oct 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2306169)   #562
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r
I think the determination of which car is better is up for debate. Why do you have it out for Intersport?
Old 7 Oct 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2306172)   #563
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Funny, talking with Jon & Clint, they both said they really liked the Kumhos when they both had turned some laps in the #30 car... Kinda made them think about what was the problem way back when.I wouldn't be surprised that the Intersport team goes back to those 'worst tires' for next year...
That is interesting. Do you happen to know if they put a set of Kumhos on the 37?
Old 7 Oct 2008, 15:20 (Ref:2306180)   #564
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
No, they did not.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2306219)   #565
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I got a funny response from Clint Field and Richard Berry when I asked about their plans for next season. I asked if they would still be in P1 and Richard said "ya, of course". Clint said "Well we are going to wait and see who is all joining P1 next year and then make our descisions about what class and car to compete in"
I wonder who gets their way, the team owner or the team $ ?
Old 7 Oct 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2306266)   #566
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great race.

A shame Peugeot didn't win.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2306318)   #567
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reason for the Drayson-Barwell Vantage GT2's loss of drive is a suspected driveshaft failure.

Bitter-Sweet time for Drayson-Barwell at Petit Le Mans - Aston Martin Racing

Tom.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 03:09 (Ref:2306560)   #568
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Intersport has not tried the two types of tyres on the same car, I continue to contend that they are practicing crummy science. I really hope they do some back-to-back testing on the same chassis before making a decision for 2009. Same goes for the engine - all indications in the LMS were that the Judd was strong, but they should be tested with all other variables equal.

I'm not going to say that the Kumhos are abysmal. However, unless they've done significant development recently I find myself having a hard time believing they are very good either. Each team that ran Kumhos last year (including Intersport) found they had big steps forward when they switched to new tyres, eventually in both cases to Dunlops. The European Kumho runner also was nowhere last year. This year they've not particularly demonstrated the ability to produce a competitive GT2 tyre, even - evidence VICI versus other 997 teams and the weak performance of the GT2 Vette which was assisted by swapping to Michelins. More work is needed from Kumho, potential or not. For a small team, how long can they stomach that lack of performance during the process?

Last edited by cmk; 8 Oct 2008 at 03:11.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2306867)   #569
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 30 car has to be scrapped. There is no way that can be rebuilt.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2307052)   #570
Ryan
Rookie

United States
Wisconsin
Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
The 30 car has to be scrapped. There is no way that can be rebuilt.
Isn't that their second car for the #30 already? Who is financing the 30 if Richard Berry is financing the 37?
Old 8 Oct 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2307054)   #571
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Isn't that their second car for the #30 already? Who is financing the 30 if Richard Berry is financing the 37?
I'm sure it's a combination of Berry and the paying drivers.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2307057)   #572
Ryan
Rookie

United States
Wisconsin
Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those old guys are paying? No wonder they stink.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2307110)   #573
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lewis and Hines aren't old. Faulkner and Forgeois are though.
Old 9 Oct 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2307496)   #574
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well Young good drivers cant get sponsorship.

Young drivers cant get sponsorship because they cant get a drive to show how good they are.

So old guys who have several business, and can take the time to learn how to drive and pay the sponsorship costs get the drive.

No there is not a ladder system.

Young drivers in motor sports come from wealthy families. or got lucky with a break some how some place.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2308232)   #575
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Nice analysis of PLM:
http://www.sportscarpros.com/cottonb...mist-red-line/
http://www.sportscarpros.com/not-tha...le-of-atlanta/
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...petit-le-mans/

Last edited by gwyllion; 10 Oct 2008 at 09:53.