Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 May 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1614939)   #551
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
They offer their models for sale as 4WD, but the 159 is a normal FWD. Afaik they don't have a RWD in their programme either at this moment. So basicly it's a way to trick the 159 to be RWD to be more competative against the BMW I think, and I can imagine very well that Seat is against this.
With the Brands qualification result in mind their main target is not BMW but FWD SEAT.
Old 20 May 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1614951)   #552
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly it isn´t a fair move from Alfa Romeo.
Old 20 May 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1614955)   #553
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its BMWs fault. This could be the end of the WTCC - Just like it was the end of the old WTCC and DTM.
Old 20 May 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1614961)   #554
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
Its BMWs fault. This could be the end of the WTCC - Just like it was the end of the old WTCC and DTM.
Why BMW? If you have a RWD street car, no problem to use it in WTCC. However Alfa Romeo tries other different thing.
Old 20 May 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1614983)   #555
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46
Why BMW? If you have a RWD street car, no problem to use it in WTCC. However Alfa Romeo tries other different thing.
Besides that Alfa showed and now SEAT shows you can be succesful with a FWD car.
Old 20 May 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1615113)   #556
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure you can, with a flat bottom. And that's sucessful until the start of the races ;-)
Old 20 May 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1615126)   #557
yellowsubmarine
Rookie

Catalonia
yellowsubmarine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don´t think flat bottom is a big improvement, just helps to balance the front and rear downforce of the car.
Remember that the Leon is a two volumes car, and its aerodynamics continues being a step below BMW and alfa.
We will see what happens tomorrow !!
Old 20 May 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1615212)   #558
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
I find that a rather harsh quote if you don't have any arguments for it.
Old 20 May 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1615247)   #559
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's just part of a long outdated concept that once was that the ETCC/WTCC couldn't survive without Alfa Romeo.

I think we can say that's no longer the case, though they're still welcome 'nice to have around's'
Old 21 May 2006, 08:28 (Ref:1615388)   #560
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i've been asking this last year too .. about Alfa 4wd into RWD .

i don't see the problem . the car is offered as 4wd ..si who's to say it's a FWD car ?? is the Lambo in GT's FWD cars ??
what if 3 versions were offered .. FWD RWD and 4WD . and they would homologate the 4WD . what should they use in racing ?? FWD ??

Ciao Marco
Old 21 May 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1615440)   #561
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
i've been asking this last year too .. about Alfa 4wd into RWD .

i don't see the problem . the car is offered as 4wd ..si who's to say it's a FWD car ?? is the Lambo in GT's FWD cars ??
what if 3 versions were offered .. FWD RWD and 4WD . and they would homologate the 4WD . what should they use in racing ?? FWD ??
If a RWD was offered in real life in a limited series it wouldn't be a problem at all imho. But tricking it like they want to do like now isn't fair imho. The Lambo's are a different story; those cars are 4WD only from the factory and need to be changed to fit the rules. But the nature of the 159 is FWD, not 4WD. And that makes it a different situation imho.
Old 21 May 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1615452)   #562
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what makes a car to be 4wd by nature ?? being offered only in 4wd spec ??

if 4wd was allowed in WTCC .. should they be allowed to race the 159 ?? and so be homologated ?? or it should still be FWD as by nature

Ciao Marco
Old 21 May 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1615457)   #563
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'd be walking into the world of weight penalties putting together a 4WD entry.

Just think of the Audi A4 in the BTCC in '96. By '98, the car was forced to be 2WD against it's actual build because of the weight penalties not really working either.

I don't think it's that accepted that RWD is actually as much as an advantage as has been made out, it's just the BMW has developed to be better than the Alfa 156. The fact the Seat Leon, and even Chevrolet are giving the BMW difficulty, means FWD is a perfectly competitive package.
Old 21 May 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1615478)   #564
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
of course it is . Alfa proved that already in the years they won ..
we;re already in the world of weight penalites .but that wasn't my point . i wasn't sugesting allowing 4wd cars

i belive they should be allowed to homologate whatever configuration they want .. it gives them more posibilities .. they could even race it in WRC

Ciao Marco
Old 21 May 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1615483)   #565
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Wouldn't they start building RWD & FWD cars then? And take the FWD's to Brands say, and the RWD's to Magny-Cours? Be a bit silly.

Alfa winning? Hmmm, guess I can't remember that far back
Old 21 May 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1615486)   #566
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
what makes a car to be 4wd by nature ?? being offered only in 4wd spec ??
No, being developed as 4WD spec. The Alfa was born as FWD car, the Lambo was born as 4WD car, the BMW was born as RWD car.

Quote:
if 4wd was allowed in WTCC .. should they be allowed to race the 159 ?? and so be homologated ?? or it should still be FWD as by nature
Of course they would, because they build such a car. They sell the necissary numbers of 4WD cars, so then it'd be allowed for sure. But 4WD isn't allowed, so that's irrelevant.
Old 21 May 2006, 10:56 (Ref:1615490)   #567
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
it was developed with 4wd in mind too .. it's in fact the same 4wd system that Audi uses .. it's not an after market thing ..

they built a 4wd car . so why not being allowed to homologate it ?
and then . as the rules say .. they need to use only 2wd .. that should be up to them to chose be it FWD or RWD

Ciao Marco
Old 21 May 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1615493)   #568
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
it was developed with 4wd in mind too .. it's in fact the same 4wd system that Audi uses .. it's not an after market thing ..

they built a 4wd car . so why not being allowed to homologate it ?
Because 4WD is NOT allowed.

Quote:
and then . as the rules say .. they need to use only 2wd .. that should be up to them to chose be it FWD or RWD
Because there's a 159 FWD road car available. If they had only 4WD road cars probably they were allowed to change the car to FWD or RWD.
(correct me if I am wrong).
Old 21 May 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1615502)   #569
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
i don't belive the homologation has anything to do with the WTCC regs .. correct me if I am wrong ..

only 4wd ?? . why ?

Ciao Marco
Old 21 May 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1615524)   #570
TCD
Racer

TCD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the problem with racing with a 4WD car but using it as a 2WD?? Coz it's not a 4WD anymore then...
Old 21 May 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1615534)   #571
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD
What's the problem with racing with a 4WD car but using it as a 2WD?? Coz it's not a 4WD anymore then...
In theory it would be possible perhaps and maybe a loophole in the regulations would allow it. But imho it's a unfair way of making a extremely large change to your car wich normally isn't allowed.
Old 21 May 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1615676)   #572
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
According the Flemish Eurosport commentator next years season will start in South America (Curitiba & Puebla?) and will end at the new F1 circuit of Singapore (I didn't know they are building a F1 circuit). He mentioned races in Japan (makes some sense with Yokohama and trying to attract a Japanese manufacturer?), Moscou (makes sense with LADA) and....Pau. And according to him the KSO has said next year 6 manufacturers (Lexus, Dodge or Nissan?).

Don't know how many of this is fact or speculation but a race in Japan and rumours about Dodge, Lexus and to a lesser degree Nissan are mentioned before.
Old 22 May 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1616007)   #573
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Moscou (makes sense with LADA) and....
Russians are building a new racing track near Moscow (Avtodrom Moskva). It will replace current Moscow-Myachkovo airfield track (Google map, current scheme). New track should look like this (pdf).

There should be two other circuit projects in Russia also. Kazan in central Russia and Togliatti (Tolyatti ). AvtoVAZ just got the building licence for their Lada Ring, but I know nothing about Kazan.
Quote:
And according to him the KSO has said next year 6 manufacturers (Lexus, Dodge or Nissan?).
...Brilliance, Skoda? Or maybe someone doing a comeback (Peugeot, Ford)... or even Ford as Mazda? Full factory support for JAS Honda would be great too.
Old 22 May 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1616439)   #574
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
World Touring Car Championship boss Marcello Lotti expects Alfa Romeo to confirm their works participation in the 2007 WTCC within the next three weeks.
Source: www.autosport.com
Old 22 May 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1616656)   #575
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Either true or Lotti is publicly "reminding" Alfa of its contract to "help" in the negotiations between them.

Tags
wtcc