Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Mar 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2141833)   #551
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just reading the small prints of Autosport 1982 May 6:

Leyland's French Production Car Championship hopes should be even stronger soon. While René Metge has been well in contention in the French saloon car championship in his Rover 3500, he should soon be joined by none other than French rally ace Jean-Claude Andruet, who wil be driving a second Rover, currently being built up by Metge's Paris-based team.

This should make the car a "Metge", but as it could be build from TWR parts, does anyone know were this car fits in?

Jesper
Old 2 Mar 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2142177)   #552
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Crikey, Jesper, another ace bit of pondering for us all to do! This thread just keeps throwing up new info to explore. Absolutely love it!!!

As the article says 2nd car built up by Metge, I guess he would have sourced the parts from TWR, as IIRC from earlier in the thread, we can pretty much confirm that Rene's 1ST car was probably an ex Grp 1 machine? Corliss said the one he got from Belgium had Daily Express logos and stuff underneath the Marlboro colours when he stripped the paint back.

I suppose it's possible the Andruet car was simply a French built car using info and lessons they'd learned from the TWR car though?

Last edited by chunterer; 2 Mar 2008 at 20:28.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 15:40 (Ref:2142295)   #553
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Look carefully Chunter it has Classic Touring Car Racing Club stickers on it so put a post on the clubs site as I am sure someone will identify it. I would doubt it genuine, I could post a picture of a friends Bastos livered car here and some would think it original, its not its far superior and quicker :-)
Old 2 Mar 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2142371)   #554
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Al,

It is a genuine gp 2 Rover, (AFIK the only one built). Tony Palmer ran it in Classic Thunder.

I think he bought it from Tony Dickinson.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 2 Mar 2008 at 18:00.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2142582)   #555
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes Peter you're right afaiac.

Al what's this Bastos car you're on about? If it's far superior and quicker than an original then it isn't a pukka Group A car!!! Yeah post the pics, it'll be interesting to know it's own particular history though before your friend bought it?
Old 2 Mar 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2142720)   #556
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Yes Peter you're right afaiac.

Al what's this Bastos car you're on about? If it's far superior and quicker than an original then it isn't a pukka Group A car!!! Yeah post the pics, it'll be interesting to know it's own particular history though before your friend bought it?
would that be the Gerry Cain car by any chance? I remember seeing it at Lydden a few years back- a very rapid bit of kit...
Old 3 Mar 2008, 02:38 (Ref:2142918)   #557
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep that would be the one. I think it runs a 4.3 engine.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2144511)   #558
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
Armin Hahne from Zolder '83, from what is probably a round of the German Rundstrecken Trophy: http://www.gyle.be/mkportal/modules/...lbum=34&pos=10. Don't know if this is a TWR or ATN (Frieder Nickel) car or something altogether third team. This could also bee one of the first couplings of the dentist and a Rover, since he was winning the Spa 24h in a Juma BMW in July '83. The Westfalen Pokal at Zolder was held on August 20th and 21st.

Jesper
http://www.gtv6-156gta.be/GTV6GrA198...toHebdo390.pdf

From the above link, Hahne raced the black Vitesse twice in the German Touring Car Championship, winning at Zolder in August 1983, apparently liking the car.

Jesper
Old 4 Mar 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2144534)   #559
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It is Gerry's car and I think the engine is well over five litres now, him and his man Basil built the car themselves (they also built my IROC-Z incidently or at least prepared the shell). He would sell it for the right price and you will be hard pushed to find a better one, I think it would make a great car in the Historic HotRod series. I will scan a picture in I have at the shop tomorrow if I get a minute.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2146358)   #560
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
corliss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Crikey, Jesper, another ace bit of pondering for us all to do! This thread just keeps throwing up new info to explore. Absolutely love it!!!

As the article says 2nd car built up by Metge, I guess he would have sourced the parts from TWR, as IIRC from earlier in the thread, we can pretty much confirm that Rene's 1ST car was probably an ex Grp 1 machine? Corliss said the one he got from Belgium had Daily Express logos and stuff underneath the Marlboro colours when he stripped the paint back.

I suppose it's possible the Andruet car was simply a French built car using info and lessons they'd learned from the TWR car though?
According to my information the early Metge cars were built and prepared by Autorama, Paris-Malakoff, France. NOT by TWR. They were not Grp1 cars converted. Later cars certainly had TWR input, I.E 1983/4 onwards.
I have a French magazine article where BL brought one of the French cars over to England for a back to back test with a TWR sanyo car, the French car being substantially quicker.
The very first French Marlboro car ( see earlier thread, Goodwood test ) appears to have been built by BL Motorsport, No mention of DPR input. Not sure if it raced in that spec though. It seems Autorama did build a few cars as the French Supertourisme rules were totally different to any others.

Skip
Old 8 Mar 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2146761)   #561
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by corliss
According to my information the early Metge cars were built and prepared by Autorama, Paris-Malakoff, France. NOT by TWR. They were not Grp1 cars converted. Later cars certainly had TWR input, I.E 1983/4 onwards.
I have a French magazine article where BL brought one of the French cars over to England for a back to back test with a TWR sanyo car, the French car being substantially quicker.
The very first French Marlboro car ( see earlier thread, Goodwood test ) appears to have been built by BL Motorsport, No mention of DPR input. Not sure if it raced in that spec though. It seems Autorama did build a few cars as the French Supertourisme rules were totally different to any others.

Skip
Interesting...Any idea how many cars Autorama built? The story is getting more and more complicated as it goes on....Wonder where those Autorama cars went....?
Old 8 Mar 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2146834)   #562
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Sure is, we've now gone over 600 PAGES!!!!

Top work people, keep this thing going until we find the truth!!!!

Alex reckoned the Marlboro Rover that the Griffins had in '87 as a hack which they later races in BTCC came from BL. Corliss reckons the Autorama cars were from BL not TWR.

Naturally I'm now wondering if the ex Marlboro Griffin car was a BL non TWR French car?
Old 14 Mar 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2151888)   #563
ejefi
Rookie

ejefi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Austin Rover Motorsport Press information pack for 1984 that I have says that the cars for the 1984 French championship are to be prepared and serviced by TWR, the cars for the German Saloon car championship run to virtually the sane as Group A regulations are prepared by Auto Technik Nickel in Aachen.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2152592)   #564
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Welcome ejefi, thanks for posting!
TWR involvement in France was certainly from '83 onwards, (at least 1 ex Grp 1 car was converted -member Corliss has it!) but there seems to be a question mark as to whether the link up began before that?
Old 23 Mar 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2159584)   #565
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
Yet another mystery

I am getting good at finding unknowns.

Found this interesting piece from South Africa:

"I have attached some photos of the car taken yesterday at Zwartkops.It has been returned to the same spec and colour it was all those years ago.The original motor is still with the car but I beleive they will be saving that motor and will race with another motor.The originl motor had some special parts and is rare.
This car can be identified and has a proper chassis number to identify it.It was never built as a road car and came from the UK factory built as a race car.There have been a few articles written about this car.Classic Cars in Action and the Citizen Newspaper did an article some years ago.

In 2003 the late Paddy O'Sullivan offered this car to me for a very reasonable amount,I could not afford it at the time.I will dig out my photo's I took whenI went to see the car and post it on the site.This was without a motor or the original colour scheme. it was plain white.
No Chevy or Ford sounds as good as this little V8."

If, as the above quote states, it is an original factory car, was it the other Grp1 car, or is it in fact the original Grp2 car???
I have studied the photos and lots of parts appear identical to mine.

It seems to have appeared in about early 80`s from what I can see, and ran in the Kyalami 1000kms in both 1984 & 1985 driven by Mike & Paddy O`Sullivan, Entered by Shell Sport S.A. Car was possibly first owned by Deon De Waal.

Has anyone ever heard of this car before??

Skip
Old 23 Mar 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2159585)   #566
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
more

Found another photo of the South African car in earlier spec:

MIKE O`SULLIVAN IN THE ROVER SD1 THROUGH CLUBHOUSE CORNER AT KYALAMI.jpg [ 31.42 KB | Viewed 1 time ]

Attachments:
scan0001.jpg [ 847.93 KB | Viewed 10 times ]

Interesting to note prominent "Leyland" logo`s, and in Shell colours.

Skip
Old 23 Mar 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2159598)   #567
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if this advances you any more forward but I have found this in my collection.
I would guess it was taken in 79 or 80 at a Brands, at what I would imagine was an open test day. it was on 110mm (remember that) film before I started using a SLR so excuse the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
rover.jpg  
Old 23 Mar 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2159620)   #568
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Not sure if this advances you any more forward but I have found this in my collection.
I would guess it was taken in 79 or 80 at a Brands, at what I would imagine was an open test day. it was on 110mm (remember that) film before I started using a SLR so excuse the quality.
Looks remarkably like the original BL built race car for B.L.France/ Rene Metge, was tested in England in 79 or 80. See earlier thread on Goodwood test and of Model Kit of this car

Skip
Old 23 Mar 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2159952)   #569
KA
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Looks remarkably like the original BL built race car for B.L.France/ Rene Metge, was tested in England in 79 or 80. See earlier thread on Goodwood test and of Model Kit of this car

Skip
That certainly does look like the original Metge/Marlboro car- so it looks like it may have tested at both Goodwood and Brands before going to France.

The South African car is a great find- I'd seen it mentioned in the results of the Kyalami 1000km while looking up Group C sportscar stuff, but didn't know anything about it- I'd certainly never seen a photo....
Old 25 Mar 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2161272)   #570
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 25 Mar 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2161279)   #571
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting pic N, whats the sportscar in front of the Rover, do you know?
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2163162)   #572
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
Pedro Meireles

Can anybody translate??

News clip dated 27 March 2008

RECORDAR É VIVER
PEDRO MEIRELES
Fez furô no nosso automobilismo com a criação da equipa da Traffic, que fez corre uma série de carros na nossa velocidade, com maior incidência no Rover 3500,

para além da participação no Troféu Toyota Starlet. Esta equipa inovou a forma de fazer marketing automóvel, mas como tudo na vida, teve um principio, meio e final, mas deixou muitas ideias para outras equipas, que vieram a copiar a sua forma de estar. Em relação a Pedro Meireles, depois de se retirar, dedicou-se Ã* empresa Traffic, que haveria de terminar para passar a administrar um turismo de habitação no Minho. Actualmente encontra-se em Moçambique a administrar uma fazenda de caça de grande dimensões, onde recebem convidados vips, para caçadas, mas como tudo na vida é sempre bom recordar.

Skip
Old 27 Mar 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2163404)   #573
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can anybody translate??

PEDRO MEIRELES
Fez furô no nosso automobilismo com a criação da equipa da Traffic, que fez corre uma série de carros na nossa velocidade, com maior incidência no Rover 3500,

para além da participação no Troféu Toyota Starlet. Esta equipa inovou a forma de fazer marketing automóvel, mas como tudo na vida, teve um principio, meio e final, mas deixou muitas ideias para outras equipas, que vieram a copiar a sua forma de estar. Em relação a Pedro Meireles, depois de se retirar, dedicou-se Ã* empresa Traffic, que haveria de terminar para passar a administrar um turismo de habitação no Minho. Actualmente encontra-se em Moçambique a administrar uma fazenda de caça de grande dimensões, onde recebem convidados vips, para caçadas, mas como tudo na vida é sempre bom recordar.

Skip

I'll take a shot (very strange Portuguese that one... oh dear, I just hate reading stuff which is not used over here ):

"Pedro Meireles made a hit when he created the team Traffic, which raced various cars on our championships, especially the Rover 3500 and the Toyota Starlet trophy cars.

This team inovated in what we now call "racing marketing", but like everything in life, there was a beginning, a middle and an end to it. However, it left many new ideas that were copied by other teams.

As for Pedro Meireles, after he retired from racing, he pursued his bussiness in Traffic, which he sold when he created a small bussiness in rural tourism in the Minho region.

At the time being, he now lives in Mozambique, being in-charge of a very large hunting cottage, which are normally visited by various VIP people."
Old 28 Mar 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2163896)   #574
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Interesting pic N, whats the sportscar in front of the Rover, do you know?
Can't be sure, I tried to enhance it when I sacnned it as I was curious as well but the size of film rendered it a impossible to see any more detail.

My best guess would be the IBEC, I know it was mostly seen white, but have it in my mind it was dark blue first.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2164484)   #575
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
portugese rovers

Not sure, but was`nt there some confusion as to the portugese cars being the same car?

Just found a report of a hill climb showing both cars at same event

Skip

Tags
allan dippie, arg, armin hahne, btcc, eddy joosen, etcc, group 1, group a, jean-louis schlesser, jeff allam, john davenport, ken clarke, neville crichton, peter lovett, ron dickson, rover 3500, rover sd1, rover vitesse, steve soper, tom walkinshaw, tony pond, twr, win percy