Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Jun 2015, 07:12 (Ref:3545750)   #5876
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 7 Jun 2015, 15:52 (Ref:3545816)   #5877
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...a-thought.html

This article suggest that the LMP2 and GTE were slower in the area of 5 seconds in the test day compared to last years pole times, but LMP1 was quicker in the same conditions. This suggests a 5 second jump in times from last year.

Do you have any reason why it would not? I'm interested in hearing alternative arguments. These hybrid systems are complicated so I'm guessing some feel they won't give the same boost at Le Mans as they did elsewhere.
I think what we need to remember is that we don't know what will happen until it does.

Extrapolation of data is tough when you only have so much of it in front of you. I think Spa is a relative track, though, you'll be able to spend more time on boost, versus off boost due to length of the straights. It's nearly four times the length at Le Mans

So... using the KERS at Le Mans won't end up giving you the same net effect as it will at Spa, or anywhere else. Will there be a jump? Yes, will it be 10+ seconds, I doubt it...I'm betting it'll be about 4-7.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 8 Jun 2015, 05:25 (Ref:3546003)   #5878
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well...with rain forecasted (so far) perhaps we wont see those "magical" times. It will be interesting however, to watch the regulators adapt the narrative to justify the forthcoming castration. (or perhaps they wont even bother)
I've reached a point now that if they are going to "condemn" these cars to death, then at least let them be guilty of the "crime".
Old 8 Jun 2015, 05:48 (Ref:3546006)   #5879
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Lets wait and see what the rule makers decide on. I think a drop in fuel flow is the obvious move. But maybe the drop the allowable energy per lap in fuel is too simple?
Old 8 Jun 2015, 06:08 (Ref:3546012)   #5880
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Well...for me, what ever they do is an unnecessary step. The cars are perfect as they are. They are very close (even Toyota.. I think some will be surprised) at Le Mans. I just don't think any intervention is warranted at the moment . Sadly I am in the minority, so if I am forced to watch these magnificent cars being put before a firing squad, then I wouldn't mind seeing the crime for which they are supposedly guilty.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 06:33 (Ref:3546020)   #5881
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I wouldn't call 2-4% less fuel a castration, it would not be visible to a naked eye except for the lap time.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 06:50 (Ref:3546026)   #5882
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Do you know if this is "all" that they will do?
Old 8 Jun 2015, 07:21 (Ref:3546032)   #5883
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Do you know if this is "all" that they will do?
On short notice (a month and a bit before the Nurburgring test) that's all they CAN do (reduced fuel flow and some extra weight) without annoying the factory teams by causing them to do some severe re-engineering on their cars.

And until we see what they actually plan, can we be a bit less melodramatic about these potential changes?
Old 8 Jun 2015, 07:36 (Ref:3546035)   #5884
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I apologize if I hurt your sensibilities, but you know what? "Not being offended" is not a right.

As for being melodramatic: It certainly wasn't me that started harping on about a ridiculous 3:30 lap time and it certainly wasn't me that ran around predicting the sky was going to fall because the cars are "simply too fast". Perhaps if the regulators were a little more reasonable in their assertions, then one would not have to resort to hyperbole (although lost on some) in order to manifest their displeasure and opinions.

Last edited by Spyderman; 8 Jun 2015 at 07:42.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 09:32 (Ref:3546069)   #5885
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Here are a number of facts and figures from Porsche:http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/motor...mp1-11087.html

In relation to the top speed figures discussed previously, I found these two to be interesting:
  1. The Porsche 919 Hybrid accelerates from 0-100 km/h within 2 seconds and takes 4.5 seconds from 0-200 km/h.
  2. At the fastest part of the Mulsanne straight the 919 reaches ca. 330 km/h. For the slowest part (Arnage) it has to slow down to ca. 70 km/h.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 10:49 (Ref:3546090)   #5886
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have I read it right that Porsche and Toyota didn't have to turn up to scrutineering yesterday? Massive shame if true.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 10:53 (Ref:3546094)   #5887
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
No - They are scheduled for today.http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichi...-mans-2015.pdf
Old 8 Jun 2015, 10:55 (Ref:3546095)   #5888
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No - They are scheduled for today.
It says "at a local garage." Of course they're going to be scrutineered - just a shame if they're not longer required to turn up in the city centre.

EDIT - I'm confused now, does the "city-centre" scruinteering now take place on the Sunday/Monday?
Old 8 Jun 2015, 10:56 (Ref:3546097)   #5889
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It says "at a local garage." Of course they're going to be scrutineered - just a shame if they're not longer required to turn up in the city centre.
I think they will undergo "normal" public scruteneering as well.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 10:57 (Ref:3546098)   #5890
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

EDIT - I'm confused now, does the "city-centre" scruinteering now take place on the Sunday/Monday?
Yes. They split it over two days.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3546099)   #5891
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Yes. They split it over two days.
Ah, thanks!

It used to be a Monday/Tuesday, then in more recent years it's been Saturday/Sunday...the ACO have thrown me with Sunday/Monday. Mind you, that's easily done.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 11:01 (Ref:3546101)   #5892
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Old 8 Jun 2015, 15:03 (Ref:3546164)   #5893
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
It looks like the Porsche also still have the "debatable" (or not so "debatable") rear wing end plate extensions:

(source: Endurance-Info.com)

It increasingly looks like this solution may be deemed allowable by the ACO-FIA.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 15:09 (Ref:3546167)   #5894
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
As I posted in the Toyota thread: Mike Fuller says there is "nothing to this" and that there "no one is worried about this".
Old 8 Jun 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3546175)   #5895
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given that apparently this has been run before by other teams (Toyota?) and there has not been a challenge or rules clarification since then, I suspect that it's usage (or not) is more about... "Does this concept work for us?" vs. "Is it legal?" Aero ideas seem to fall in out out of favor on a regular basis.

I actually am still not sure how the Audi version fits the regulations, but apparently it does.

Richard
Old 8 Jun 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3546242)   #5896
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
All 56 cars have passed scrutineering "with flying colors" according to the ACO's official statement. The ACO are evidently satisfied that Audi's and Porsche's solutions are both complying with their interpretation of the rules.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 05:56 (Ref:3546371)   #5897
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Two fuel tank fills with one set of Michelin tyres are the absolute minimum; three should be standard, at night it can be four.
so, Porsche expects tire usage almost as good as Audi will probably have
Old 9 Jun 2015, 06:03 (Ref:3546372)   #5898
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It think tyre wear is 100% correlated with how aggressive they boost out of the corners. This just means they have to find the right balance between race pace and pit stop time.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 05:25 (Ref:3546737)   #5899
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
From what I can tell from the weather forecasts, it looks like tonight might be a good time to put in a quick lap.
The race looks like it will start dry and then rain will come at around 2AM Sunday morning and stay until the end of the race. It looks like it is going to be a very tough one!
Old 10 Jun 2015, 06:48 (Ref:3546745)   #5900
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
...and so it starts:http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/l...ction-in-2016/

At least it seems that the ridiculous 3:30 lap time has been put to bed.