Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 28 Sep 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1418842)   #576
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All looks deserted at the Formula Woman hq. To Let signs have been up for ages now.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1418868)   #577
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't FW based at Dunsfold airfield now or thereabouts - not Louth?
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1418878)   #578
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
halecmini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1418906)   #579
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with you Bob on this one.
If anyone can tell me what barriers there are to women competing at the momment then please do tell us.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1418911)   #580
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
Wish I'd thought of it.
Genius is in short supply these days
Old 28 Sep 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1418936)   #581
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
If anyone can tell me what barriers there are to women competing at the momment then please do tell us.
No barriers other than those affecting everyone else,regardless of sex,race,or orientation. Lack of money.That the number of women that did apply for the first FW launch,would indicate that there was a demand for this offer of a almost free chance?
Old 28 Sep 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1419053)   #582
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
But I question that premise, I think some of it was a chance of "fame" Some of those who enterd where in better paid jobs than some people I know who do club racing. But that is history. This second one is the one that concerns me the money being talked about to enter this is more than say the Caterham academy.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1419201)   #583
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
Maybe the fact that they got no balls (Only joking girls honest)
Old 28 Sep 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1419225)   #584
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
lol Al,

I personally think Formula Woman was a bit pointless - motorsport is one of the few remaining sports where both sexes can compete equally against each other - why start seperating them now? Only thing I can think of is that maybe a lot of women simply think they can't enter for some bizarre reason...?
Old 28 Sep 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1419242)   #585
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If I may be so bold and serious this time if women, bless em and I say this as a father of two grown up daughters, are at all handicapped (and I am generalising here) at club level at least I suspect it is more because of their lack of mechanical and preparation skills than their actual driving capabilities.

I mean I don't know about the rest of you but as far as I concerned preparing the car is half if not three quarters of the challenge of the sport but I admit to being a bit of a sad case.

I know some guys also pay mechanics to do the work but I am talking more at the general club level and can't see many girls wanting to llie under a car up to their manuicured finger nails in grease at 2am in the morning the night before a race and to be quite honest they probably have the right idea!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1419289)   #586
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crikey, I hope Sue doesn't read this Al. She prepared and raced her own car a few years back, now she helps work on mine.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1419331)   #587
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
She sounds a rare find Rob but it probably highlights my point that it is rare to find a lady who does not mind mucking in, don't take it the wrong way ladies it is part of your charm to look good and us guys do the dirty jiobs thats the way it is but is also probably why there arn't so many girls racing.

Also mundane things like lying under your trailer strapping the race car down with the rain pouring down the back of your neck the night before the race, the sheer physical side of the operation of just getting the race car to the track and back can be daunting and ladies, well they just have more sense.

I remember many years ago working as a mechanic for a race outfit who employed a very pretty lady driver who looks outshone her driving ability I have to say, but she got a lot of publisity for the company and I guess it worked a little that way, shame she rolled the car on her first outing so that was the end of that. She sure looked cute in her racing suit though :-).
Old 28 Sep 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1419498)   #588
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As regards mechanical prowess, frankly I'm happy if I can get the bonnet open. Wouldn't have a clue what to do with it once I have. My car comes with a tool kit fitted in the boot and I've only ever used the locking wheel nuts out of it.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1419635)   #589
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are right Al, speaking generally car preparation by the driver would be a barrier to the majority of women. However it doesn't provide a reason for inventing formula woman. Just about every type of racing in this country has teams who will provide a car for the paying customer. So the competitors in FW can just as easily put their money into racing by that route and so provide the additional competitors for the existing formulas as I originally pointed out.
I have to say Rod, a woman who can prepare a race car is a precious find.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1419638)   #590
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She's not that keen on cooking though.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 07:49 (Ref:1419643)   #591
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh hell, that puts it in perspective a bit.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1419786)   #592
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
now she helps work on mine.

As I understand it you help her!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1419934)   #593
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Dad is a mechanic.

Not being able to do mechanics seems to be a barrier to most of his MALE clients as well.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1420272)   #594
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes but they are not racing are they Dennis so it is irrelevant really. I bet if you wandered around any paddock at a club meeting the majority of the competitors know there way around a car and probably do most of their own preparation.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1420288)   #595
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
No, but if you wander round the paddock of a track day they ARE there.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1420303)   #596
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes but we are talking proper racing not pretending...... Mind you I sort of know where you are at on this and I think in the past when I was a kid we were always tearing machines apart whether building push carts from old prams at 10 or push bikes and mopeds at about 13 or 14 or motorbikes and cars at 15 but kids these days don't seem so into it, just maybe this is another reason for the general decline in grids and not just about the lady drivers missing form the sport.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1420311)   #597
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
...when I was a kid we were always tearing machines apart whether building push carts from old prams at 10 or push bikes and mopeds at about 13 or 14 or motorbikes and cars at 15 but kids these days don't seem so into it....
Al, kids are into cars, just not theirs. Take the 11 year old caught behind the wheel of a BMW.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1420347)   #598
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Could certainly explain the decline in modified classes and the relatively lower rise in arrive and drive or one make/limited mod type championships.

Come to think of it, the one make/limited mod type championships DO seem to have a higher percentage of women.

I think those of us who know their pistons from their conrods AND still race are a dying breed. We need to give up and start preparing one make cars for cash rich middle class business men who have finally got rid of their kids and can finally live their life long ambition to go racing for a couple of seasons.

Last edited by greenamex2; 29 Sep 2005 at 20:34. Reason: It's 21:30 and I am still at work, and will be for another 5 hours
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1420393)   #599
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
When I was a lad you could see dads & lads tinkering with the family car. How many of you see that nowadays?
I don't see any problem with limited modified/one make classes, if they get anybody into racing.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1420422)   #600
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
They still need preparimg and maimtaining and getting to and from the track, in fact maybe even more so as you need to squeeze the last drop out of them to stay on the pace.