Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 21 Mar 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3382793)   #6076
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Which manufacturers are in the pocket of TUSCAR?

By the way, great timing for some PR BS Spin... look, Sebring was great everybody, read all about it.

http://www.imsa.com/articles/nine-pr...sebring-record
Old 21 Mar 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3382794)   #6077
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I imagine Ford, Porsche, and Chevy are quite happy with the way things have gone in the first few TUSCAR races. I doubt they would bail or even support a break away series.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 23:42 (Ref:3382842)   #6078
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
But any breakaway wouldn't concern Chevy or Ford, but the manufacturers in GTD. I'm sure Porsche would be happy to sell cars to anyone buying, but they don't have a genuine GT3 spec available at the moment. Either way, talk of that would seem a little premature and wouldn't come to anything until next year at the earliest. Would be nice to have a BES style series in the US, or similar, but I'm not sure it'd be for the best.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3382843)   #6079
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
I imagine Ford, Porsche, and Chevy are quite happy with the way things have gone in the first few TUSCAR races. I doubt they would bail or even support a break away series.
Ford maybe. Porsche has involvement in enough series, especially with all their "Cup" series, to not care. Porsches are the most popular sports car for road and racing I believe. Chevy will put its weight behind the factory Vettes and Le Mans, the DP project has never really come across as more than a marketing ploy imo.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 00:05 (Ref:3382849)   #6080
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Turner BMW set for PWC...

That is the GTD entry that was planning on leaving after the Sebring issues. I would put Job in the probable to PWC category as well.

Don't be surprised about further GTD departures.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Mar 2014, 00:50 (Ref:3382857)   #6081
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And people wanted Audi and Toyota to field LMP1 cars in TUSCC to save that category? Toyota may be playing in NASCAR's sandbox in the actual NASCAR stock car series, but I can't imagine TMG supporting TUSCC. And Audi may be fielding GTD cars, but those are private efforts with limited factory support compared to a LMP program. And there's rumors again (which for various reasons I'm not taking seriously) of Audi being a LMP2 or DP engine supplier again.

It never happened the last time Audi were rumored to be an engine supplier, and after Daytona and Sebring, I highly doubt it now.

Like the ACO and FIA, I think that Audi and Toyota are watching this with a mixture of pity and contempt.

TUSCC will probably be having problems keeping several GTD teams if they don't fix their problems soon. So imagine how hard it will be to attract new teams and sponsors to the series if the ship isn't righted immediately?
Old 22 Mar 2014, 01:34 (Ref:3382862)   #6082
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PWC is for real! My worries for them will be keeping FYC"s to a minimum for a one hour race. As far as TUSK goes. I wonder if there hand might be forced and they will need to upgrade GTD to allow full spec GT3 cars with Conti tires still though.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 01:52 (Ref:3382864)   #6083
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pruett's q&a with asserton.....

http://www.racer.com/index.php/imsa/...scott-atherton
Old 22 Mar 2014, 01:55 (Ref:3382865)   #6084
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know about the GT3 cars, but the issue here that's being touched upon my several commentators, namely Graham Goodwin and Marshall Pruett, is that if IMSA can't keep their current teams and such happy, how do they expect to expand the series as far as adding teams and sponsors, since the GTD guys do have PWC as an alternative?

Unfortuneably, there's only the WEC and the LMS for the LMP2 teams, and the WEC have only one North American race and LMS only races in Europe. And the DP's aren't legal to race outside of TUSCC. And if a breakaway series does happen, that'll be a double edged sword. Rules and such might get straightened out, but they won't have NASCAR's media clout, which, granted, hasn't made a huge amount of difference yet for TUSCC.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 01:56 (Ref:3382866)   #6085
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
PWC is for real! My worries for them will be keeping FYC"s to a minimum for a one hour race. As far as TUSK goes. I wonder if there hand might be forced and they will need to upgrade GTD to allow full spec GT3 cars with Conti tires still though.
Does it really matter if the go gt3?As long as officials and officiating is crap teams and fans won't give a damn of its full gt3....

That my on issue with TUSCAR at the moment,dumb officials,officiating,constant rule and driver rating changes are screwing over teams and ruining historically good races.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 02:45 (Ref:3382868)   #6086
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
but they won't have NASCAR's media clout, which, granted, hasn't made a huge amount of difference yet for TUSCC.
Yet? Not at all...unless you consider MRN to be their number #1 outlet for NASCAR commercials.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Mar 2014, 02:54 (Ref:3382872)   #6087
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
TV ratings haven't gone up and MRN have been basically crapped on by fans of both ALMS and GA, let alone most TUSCC fans.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:17 (Ref:3382879)   #6088
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Atherton is the master at saying a lot, without really saying anything. From a PR perspective, it really is quite impressive. For someone looking for anything firm to believe in, it is more fluff.

He did touch upon suspensions//probation possibilities.... how could it possibly take this long to review? I figured they would have made announcements on Monday//Tuesday that they were taking this serious. The only thing we here is a week later, and at the prompt from Marshall Pruett, and I do thank him for conducting the interview. Much of this should have been addressed by the series much earlier, without the prompting from the press.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:40 (Ref:3382882)   #6089
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I doubt TUSC is really sweating that — they still have a lot of entries in GTD and PWC can only accommodate so many cars. And doing so would actually be a very bad sign, as it would indicate panic and a lack of confidence in the existing product at a core level.

The GT specs are also likely changing in a very major way in 2016 anyways, so the series in effect is kicking the can down the road in GT (and P) until new regulations kick in.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 04:31 (Ref:3382892)   #6090
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Fogelhund;3382793]Which manufacturers are in the pocket of TUSCAR?

By the way, great timing for some PR BS Spin... look, Sebring was great everybody, read all about it.

[url]http://www.imsa.com/articles/nine-prototypes-shatter-sebring-record[/

IMSA's goal is to have every car finish on the lead lap, no matter how they got there.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 04:42 (Ref:3382893)   #6091
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Didn't expect anyone to be held accountable. Atherton met my expectations. And besides, there were nine prototypes on the lead lap, shattering the Sebring record! I never thought the previous record could be broken. I'm trying to cope with the magnitude of what we have just seen. I was lucky enough to witness Hank Aaron set the record for most home runs in a season. Now this. I think we live in a magical time for North American sports car racing.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 04:46 (Ref:3382896)   #6092
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are not nascrap fans. We don't care how many cars are on the lead lap. We just want good solid endurance racing that is not botched by full course yellows and bad officiating. In fact I for one miss the days of cars winning the Daytona 24 by 10 to 20 laps.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 04:52 (Ref:3382897)   #6093
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Ahhh, calling it NASCRAP again, I see the arguments have fallen back into the petulant child category.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 05:10 (Ref:3382900)   #6094
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
Didn't expect anyone to be held accountable. Atherton met my expectations. And besides, there were nine prototypes on the lead lap, shattering the Sebring record! I never thought the previous record could be broken. I'm trying to cope with the magnitude of what we have just seen. I was lucky enough to witness Hank Aaron set the record for most home runs in a season. Now this. I think we live in a magical time for North American sports car racing.
Not sure if being serious or sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ahhh, calling it NASCRAP again, I see the arguments have fallen back into the petulant child category.
As is the case in every USCC thread...unfortunate really.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 05:30 (Ref:3382902)   #6095
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Atherton is the master at saying a lot, without really saying anything.
So...he's basically a lawyer. Or a figurehead for a corporation who doesn't give a **** about it's fans or teams.

One of the two.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 05:57 (Ref:3382908)   #6096
Louie Loper
Veteran

United States
Nebraska
Louie Loper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
So...he's basically a lawyer. Or a figurehead for a corporation who doesn't give a **** about it's fans or teams.

One of the two.
He keeps bringing up the "you'll be satisfied to know that". He talks like they have it all under control yet there doesn't seem to be any evidence of this. He talks about "not losing sight of the positives".

Moving a stalled car with 51 minutes to go is "another very complicated situation".

He was "was frustrated like everyone else" by the long caution periods.

He talks as if he can't improve on his own rule book.

A thought crossed my mind and was unsure if anyone had brought this up. IMSA wants cars to pit under yellow, so can we maybe pit GTLM and P on same lap? GTD and PC on same lap?
Old 22 Mar 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3382975)   #6097
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post

One of the two.
You are 100% correct. He was absolutely incompetant in his role within ALMS, absolutely loves hearing the sound of his own voice and preening as if her were on a par with Bernie Eccelstone! The arrogance of this man is astounding, so did anyone even begin to imagine in this new role he would rise to the challenge of it?

I have not read so many words in an interview before with anyone from a supposed management body of sports, that really said nothing other than send the message that "we" the management will do whatever we like and you the fans/entrants/drivers/workers/sponsors will accept our actions with absolutely no accountability from us whatsoever, because we say so.

The treatment of the Alex Job incident was totally apalling and unbelievably unprofessional to say the least, and Atherton's stance continues on the same vein now. Almost to the point of that it is Alex's fault that the officials are incompetent!

Bottom line in my opinion..................welcome to the circus folks, NOTHING will change. Last fan out please turn off the lights

Such an amazing slap in the face to everybody who has supported both ALMS & Grand Am in the past!
Old 22 Mar 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3382977)   #6098
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Disappointing interview to read. You'd have at least hoped he'd have one concrete improvement they'd agreed upon basically a week after the race.

MP's venting lengthy questions gave Atherton too much scope for wiggle-room in each answer. He also hasn't grasped fully the whole Porsche incident - which he should have given he did a whole R&T piece on it.

But he did make some really good points - especially the fact that fans can go away and mow the lawn/walk the dog in between cautions. We even saw forum examples of that during Sebring.

This whole 'putting numbers on onboard cameras' is also a bit disconcerting to me. Seems like putting a band-aid on an axe wound. Can you really penalise a driver just through what you see in that one angle? They clearly need to improve their race centre. They need access to the race TV footage like other sports have.

IMO they have a fundamental problem up in race control if it's coming down to referencing Michelin stickers on cars and that sort of minute detail/detective work to make huge calls.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3382984)   #6099
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand not wanting to discuss specific personnel decisions in an interview. Since the key people the fans, media, and competitors are pointing fingers at are full time employees, there could be work contracts or other HR mandated processes that have to be followed and reviewed by legal.

But instead of saying we are evaluating the entire race operations process from top to bottom, he is repeating the Scot Elkins band aid fixes. No amount of minor rule tweaks or adding car numbers to in-car video is going to fix bad judgment calls. If the original call was made by only looking at in-car camera video, then this is bad judgment because that is a one sided view of the incident. If the call was made using the video footage shown in the R&T piece, then nothing he is suggesting is going to fix the problem that the people in race control do not know the cars they are officiating. Either way IMSA has a problem that can't be fixed with the suggestions made so far.

There is a distinct feeling among many competitors that I have spoken with that this race control crew is trying to put blame on someone for any kind of incident and to assess penalties quickly. Sometimes no call is the best judgment and if additional information becomes available later that can establish definitive fault, there are penalties that can be assessed even after race end.

Last edited by LouisTheShark; 22 Mar 2014 at 12:31.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3382987)   #6100
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I figure they can't have used that exterior footage in the initial process. I got the impression they carted that out to prove a point once Job came up to the office.

If they did use that footage (which I Vine'd off the TV and sent to Marshall) then they have people who either can't (or wouldn't) take the time to read a number on the side of the car.