Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 3 Apr 2014, 16:30 (Ref:3388343)   #6301
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
How hard is it in the drivers meeting to say...

"...There is no split pit procedure, you can all enter when pits open..."

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but, I feel like things are just way, way too complicated sometimes.
Because in a race you don't always have time to think about it, it's automatic for almost everyone. There is a LOT going on. If they change the procedures up from race to race there will be a lot more mistakes.

-mike
Old 3 Apr 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3388365)   #6302
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Because in a race you don't always have time to think about it, it's automatic for almost everyone. There is a LOT going on. If they change the procedures up from race to race there will be a lot more mistakes.

-mike
I watched the replay of the St. Petersburg PWC race last night. I noticed that there were a couple of incidents during that race that resulted in noticeable debris as well as a disabled car that pulled off the racing line, but was not behind the safety barrier. These were handled by local yellows or, in the case of debris, no flag at all. The only FCY periods were when cars were truly blocking the track. I commented to a friend that certainly all the local yellows and probably all the debris incidents would have resulted in a FCY in TUSCC. Also, the FCY period was much shorter. I know that part of the "shortness" is due to not having 4 classes on track, but still. As someone that races in both series, do you see a difference in philosophy regarding cautions? I came away satisfied with an entertaining race, even though Enge benefitted from the unavoidable FCY. Pilgrim was running away with the race and after being conditioned to TUSCC, I kept expecting to see an FCY, but it looked like SCCA was letting you guys race.

I also got the impression that PWC has a traveling safety team.

See you at Road America!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3388376)   #6303
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

-mike
Sure, I understand that, but, when I was still involved in the ALMS from a team persepective we always had the lead engineer/strategist/crew chief in the meeting. Unless that has changed, that should fall under their responsibility.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3388400)   #6304
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

-mike
They are supposed to be professionals, that is not excuse.

Just leave the pits open at all times and problems are solved.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3388436)   #6305
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
They are supposed to be professionals, that is not excuse.

Just leave the pits open at all times and problems are solved.
That was the response I wanted to make but chose to be somewhat nice...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Apr 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3388453)   #6306
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
And you guys wonder why more drivers/team personal don't frequent the forums to contribute? I'm just giving you the reasoning behind it. :-)

-mike
Old 3 Apr 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3388460)   #6307
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Not to mention that the biggest class in the field requires a non-professional as per the rules.

Nether the less, I agree with the assertion to just leave the pits open as it used to be.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 23:49 (Ref:3388488)   #6308
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And you guys wonder why more drivers/team personal don't frequent the forums to contribute?
+1

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 4 Apr 2014, 00:03 (Ref:3388493)   #6309
Ken_T
Rookie

United States
Texas
Ken_T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manufacturers are concerned as well.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10244...-led-coalition
Old 4 Apr 2014, 00:10 (Ref:3388495)   #6310
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the teams/drivers want FCY's, closed pits, and wave-bys. It improves their chances. End of story.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3388496)   #6311
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_T View Post
Manufacturers are concerned as well.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10244...-led-coalition
I love Atherton's spin on it.

"We have a manufacturers' advisory council that's made up of senior members of our official automotive partner group, and the core group, which is the vast majority, we did have a call with them that was welcomed. "We're fortunate to have such incredible support coming from all our manufacturer partners and had a very productive call for what will be an ongoing exchange that will be more formalized but will be left with enough unstructured-ness to allow topical items to be brought up without long lead times. We don't want to make it too formal. There's that group, there's also plans that will both embrace the technical side and the marketing side that goes to a different group of people involved."

Translation: "We got our a** handed to us by the manufacturers, we spent hours making apologies, we hope they know how bad we are screwing the pooch."
Old 4 Apr 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3388498)   #6312
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I love Atherton's spin on it.

"We have a manufacturers' advisory council that's made up of senior members of our official automotive partner group, and the core group, which is the vast majority, we did have a call with them that was welcomed. "We're fortunate to have such incredible support coming from all our manufacturer partners and had a very productive call for what will be an ongoing exchange that will be more formalized but will be left with enough unstructured-ness to allow topical items to be brought up without long lead times. We don't want to make it too formal. There's that group, there's also plans that will both embrace the technical side and the marketing side that goes to a different group of people involved."
I'm glad you translated that, because that there ^ is the most meaningless pile of fluff I've read in a long time. Holy crap what a load of doublespeak. :P
Old 4 Apr 2014, 00:49 (Ref:3388499)   #6313
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And you guys wonder why more drivers/team personal don't frequent the forums to contribute? I'm just giving you the reasoning behind it. :-)

-mike
Yes I trust Mr. Hedlund for sure and I am grateful that you are on here talking amongst fairwether joe schmo fans like me.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 00:55 (Ref:3388500)   #6314
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
I think the teams/drivers want FCY's, closed pits, and wave-bys. It improves their chances. End of story.
No they don't. They want to race, not have a bunch of gimmick crap cluttering up the actual racing.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3388514)   #6315
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
I'm glad you translated that, because that there ^ is the most meaningless pile of fluff I've read in a long time. Holy crap what a load of doublespeak. :P
Gotta love the word 'unstructured-ness.' They better be paying serious attention to their customers, or they will lose them.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 03:47 (Ref:3388515)   #6316
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
What's the difference between the "major automotive group" and the "vast majority core group"

Actually.....WTF does that even mean?
Old 4 Apr 2014, 04:51 (Ref:3388524)   #6317
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What's the difference between the "major automotive group" and the "vast majority core group"

The first one is actually important? Im lost on all this. Ill just watch and hope half-hour long cautions go away soon. Wec starts in 2 weeks anyway
Old 4 Apr 2014, 06:08 (Ref:3388539)   #6318
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Judging by how daytona and sebring went down.....I'd guess the “major” is Porsche and the “vast majority” is everybody else!

Old 4 Apr 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3388629)   #6319
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Close, Laguna ---Chevy and Porsche are the main ones, and Ferrari, BMW, and SRT are allowed to listen in. Audi has already gotten such bad BoP they probably don't care, and Aston is already mostly gone.

TUSC needs Chevy as the only successful U.S. manufacturer who cares and they need Porsche for half the GTD field. If they can keep those two on board (in their minds) they can probably survive.

"Unstructred-ness": "The Car companies told us they'd be setting the agenda because we can't run a meeting any better than we can run a series."
Old 4 Apr 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3388633)   #6320
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
TUSC needs Chevy as the only successful U.S. manufacturer who cares and they need Porsche for half the GTD field. If they can keep those two on board (in their minds) they can probably survive.
This is so bias... It seems that NASCAR/IMSA wanted those two companies to become successful while leaving others in the dust, especially the former with their Corvette DPs.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3388711)   #6321
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
No they don't. They want to race, not have a bunch of gimmick crap cluttering up the actual racing.
Ask the dramatically increased number of teams/drivers who are on the lead lap at the end of 12 or 24 hours. They don't have a problem with it.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 16:31 (Ref:3388738)   #6322
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
GM, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW and SRT/Chrysler means 5 manufacturers. Reportedly, there's at least half a dozen manufacturers who formed this pressure group. I'd bet that Ford is the 6th. Like GM, they're heavily involved in NASCAR, thrown a lot behind the Ganassi and MSR programs, and are pushing their EcoBoost stuff in TUSCC.

As for others, as mentioned, AMR are only supporting 1-2 entries in GTD, and Audi only seem to be providing support for a handful of GTD entries, and as we know, Audi left the ALMS--one of the precursors to TUSCC--full time after '08 after they won about everything in site by then and got tired of the game that Panoz Motorsports Group was playing, which was skimping on funding and supporting IMSA, and getting OEMs to pay for the shortfalls. IE, Audi felt that the ROI wasn't what they wanted compared to LM and the future WEC, so they left aside from running the endurance races.

That all being said, if it's a six manufacture committee, then Ford is probably the 6th member. Audi could be also the 6th member, but they don't have many dogs in the fight here, though the stuff going on in TUSCC would probably leave them PO'd, considering that they reportedly a bit ticked at the ACO and WEC over some BoP that got announced to the teams prior to the Paul Ricard WEC test. Considering that, Audi would be taking what's happened in TUSCC with a dim view for sure, since the TUSCC stuff is worse by comparison, not only as far as BoP, but more fundamental and important matters.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 17:02 (Ref:3388745)   #6323
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
GM, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW and SRT/Chrysler means 5 manufacturers. Reportedly, there's at least half a dozen manufacturers who formed this pressure group. I'd bet that Ford is the 6th. Like GM, they're heavily involved in NASCAR, thrown a lot behind the Ganassi and MSR programs, and are pushing their EcoBoost stuff in TUSCC.

As for others, as mentioned, AMR are only supporting 1-2 entries in GTD, and Audi only seem to be providing support for a handful of GTD entries, and as we know, Audi left the ALMS--one of the precursors to TUSCC--full time after '08 after they won about everything in site by then and got tired of the game that Panoz Motorsports Group was playing, which was skimping on funding and supporting IMSA, and getting OEMs to pay for the shortfalls. IE, Audi felt that the ROI wasn't what they wanted compared to LM and the future WEC, so they left aside from running the endurance races.

That all being said, if it's a six manufacture committee, then Ford is probably the 6th member. Audi could be also the 6th member, but they don't have many dogs in the fight here, though the stuff going on in TUSCC would probably leave them PO'd, considering that they reportedly a bit ticked at the ACO and WEC over some BoP that got announced to the teams prior to the Paul Ricard WEC test. Considering that, Audi would be taking what's happened in TUSCC with a dim view for sure, since the TUSCC stuff is worse by comparison, not only as far as BoP, but more fundamental ahand important matters.
Yeah I think TUSK is way down Audi's list of racing priorities behind: WEC, SRO, VLN, DTM.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3388751)   #6324
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ask the dramatically increased number of teams/drivers who are on the lead lap at the end of 12 or 24 hours. They don't have a problem with it.
Then ask them again when their sponsorship disappears because no-one is watching this mickey mouse parade any longer.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 21:46 (Ref:3388815)   #6325
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Who cares how many cars are on the lead lap? The "entertainment instead of racing" people. That's it.
Closed Thread