Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 6 Nov 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1146226)   #51
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, Bob. Rager's engine started out life in a school bus up your way and wound up powering Roger into a "500" field. Gurney, with Rocky Moran in his first race, almost won at Watkins Glen and his engine was quickly banned by CART management (meaning the other CART owners who were heavily invested in Cozzies). There ARE solutions.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 19:31 (Ref:1146239)   #52
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those were far different times.

They were certainly good times though, when you "raced what you brung", but I'm afraid that in this big-buck, manufacturer, and sponsor driven era of racing and sports in general, we're never going back to those days.

As for going stock block, that might be good for Chevy, but bad for Honda, who have no 8 cylinder, so its really just a trade I'm afraid.

I don't have an answer, I just know that the American open wheel race fan seems to have less and less to root for every year.

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Nov 2004, 01:50 (Ref:1146452)   #53
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the Caddy CTS had a 3.6L V6 or something... The 3.8L is simply a 350cid that they lobed two cyls off of. Actually turbo varients of that engine were actually used in the past in CART.

V6 Camry and Accords with 240hp are hardly entry level vehicles. The Grand Prix GTP with the 3.8L isn't either. V8s are starting to be more frequent again, mostly luxury vehciels and SUVs. Normal and better than normal sedans don't have V8s. I don't see it being particularly adventageous for Toyota to market a V8 truck engine in an open wheel car. If Chevy was to be involved, there's no reason why they couldn't use intake restrictions to make a 350CID varient equivilant to a 3.5L Honda/Toyota V6.
Old 7 Nov 2004, 02:39 (Ref:1146467)   #54
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
I thought the Caddy CTS had a 3.6L V6 or something... The 3.8L is simply a 350cid that they lobed two cyls off of. Actually turbo varients of that engine were actually used in the past in CART.

V6 Camry and Accords with 240hp are hardly entry level vehicles.(Camry and Accords are from US companies) The Grand Prix GTP with the 3.8L isn't either. V8s are starting to be more frequent again, mostly luxury vehciels and SUVs. Normal and better than normal sedans don't have V8s(No cars that are no bigger, and many are smaller,than what was called a compact until the eighties, get standard economy engines). I don't see it being particularly adventageous for Toyota to market a V8 truck engine in an open wheel car. If Chevy was to be involved, there's no reason why they couldn't use intake restrictions to make a 350CID varient equivilant to a 3.5L Honda/Toyota V6.
ARHG, intake restictors the most unfair and ****ant method of artificial regulation ever invented.

USAC and Indy used the simple displacement formula that worked very well. The fact Penske beat the others, taking advantage of it, there were other teams working on a similar engine, caused brain dead George to have one of his frequent dim-bulb ideas, as his formula was BS compared to the true stock-block ideas he had been flatulating from his lip earlier.
It worked OK because Nissan stuck with it till they won, and then DB George rewarded them by changing the formula.

The 3.8 you are talking about is the old Buick, derived from the old Nailhead V-8. To Buicks credit they stuck with it till they got it right.
Caddy has a new engine made by lopping cylinders off of the Northstar, it is not a performance engine by design. The smaller engines get, the more the need a large bore.
Chevy could use their new inline six but I doubt they would.
It showed it has guts at Pikes Peak running at 305 in. cu.

If they want Detroit to play they had better cater to Detroit.
George crapped on Chevy, everyone else noticed.
Bob
Old 7 Nov 2004, 02:54 (Ref:1146471)   #55
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Riebe
George crapped on Chevy, everyone else noticed.
What did TG do that was unfair to Chevy? Last year he let them have an unfair advantage by going around the rules with the introduction of the Cosworth. For balance someone (I think it was indycool) said that Toyota and Honda agreed to it, but I recall reading an article that indicated that they weren't too happy with the Cosworth's mid-season introduction
Old 7 Nov 2004, 03:04 (Ref:1146473)   #56
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Snrub.

If anything it was Chevy that crapped on George, not the other way around.

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Nov 2004, 03:42 (Ref:1146486)   #57
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I agree Snrub.

If anything it was Chevy that crapped on George, not the other way around.
George kept changing the rules. He allowed leasing which he so boldly said he would not, so Chevy finally said, to hell with it.
Old 7 Nov 2004, 04:12 (Ref:1146491)   #58
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Agreed Bob, but that is not why Chevy is leaving.

They refuse to spend any money to win, plain and simple. For years they had a free ride in the IRL, with no competition, and now they don't. Now they have to do some R&D and spend some cash, and they refuse. Shame on them for letting their competitors get off so easy.

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Nov 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1146623)   #59
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real simple. If Chevy had won some races in this format, it wouldn't be quitting.
Old 7 Nov 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1146675)   #60
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
If Scheckter knew how to finish a race, take care of his equipment and had alittle luck, he may have had a win or 2 this season.

Chevy gave the wrong driver the good equipment IMO. Barron is a far more consistent, steady, and reliable driver, and with the good stuff, he probably could have given Chevy the wins they were looking for.

I'm still really surprised that Panther is going to stick with Chevy for this season. Duchart says, "Chevy is committed to winning". Yeah right, does he really expect the fans to buy that? He must really take us for fools...

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Nov 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1146690)   #61
indycool
Veteran

Agree, GP....