Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jan 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1818344)   #51
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We can add another MC12 to the GT1 entry (that's five mazza's in all). DSC learnt at Autosport International that Ben Aucott and Joe Macari will be racing one of the 2005 JMB MC12's for the full FIAGT season.

Interesting to note from the article that they considered a Le Mans Series campaign but decided there weren't enough races, so chose FIAGT instead.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1818368)   #52
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
We can add another MC12 to the GT1 entry (that's five mazza's in all). DSC learnt at Autosport International that Ben Aucott and Joe Macari will be racing one of the 2005 JMB MC12's for the full FIAGT season.

Interesting to note from the article that they considered a Le Mans Series campaign but decided there weren't enough races, so chose FIAGT instead.
Very interesting. Their decision appears to fly in the face of all who are suggesting that the series is a becoming a porer alternative to the LMS and perhaps brings the series back once again to the original idea for it to be a good international privateer series?

Ok so another Mazza isn't the be all and end all but it will be seen as encouraging that 2 new teams (Barwell Aston the other one) have entered GT1 and more will follow if there are spare Aston's and Saleen's knocking about?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1818379)   #53
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There will probably be a Saleen knocking around - unless Zakspeed's car has already gone to someone else?

That's a point - as things stand at the moment, are we likely to see any Saleens at all in FIA GT in '07? Huge shame if not, because the car is competitive again now.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1818400)   #54
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
There will probably be a Saleen knocking around - unless Zakspeed's car has already gone to someone else?

That's a point - as things stand at the moment, are we likely to see any Saleens at all in FIA GT in '07? Huge shame if not, because the car is competitive again now.
Yeah, I wonder if any outfits have bothered to get a quote for the Zakspeed or Oreca cars and compared that with how much it would cost to upgrade an older car? Might cost less than buying or running an Aston or Mazza for the year?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1818419)   #55
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Zakspeed Saleen should be a steal. Competetive car, well maintained, and the owner filed for bankruptcy, so it will eventually be auctioned off unless Zakspeed finds a buyer for whatever they demand.

It should turn up somewhere.

Last edited by Satorian; 18 Jan 2007 at 12:55.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 19:09 (Ref:1818688)   #56
Chad Rogers
Rookie

Chad Rogers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it looks like the GT1 class is going to grow this year!! Time to start making my travel plans. 5 MC12's, at least 3-4 Db's a pair of Vette's(at least) a Lambo and hopefully a Saleen.
The only question for me now is which race, Silverstone is the easiest travel race, but I was there last year and I'd like to see another track.

Chad
Old 18 Jan 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1818702)   #57
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Even if the cars you mention show up it is surely about more than grid numbers - the quality of the drivers and teams involved is the thing.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1818788)   #58
Chad Rogers
Rookie

I would agree 100% and I haven't seen anything to indicate that the quality of drivers is going down.

Chad
Old 18 Jan 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1818834)   #59
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rogers
Well it looks like the GT1 class is going to grow this year!! Time to start making my travel plans. 5 MC12's, at least 3-4 Db's a pair of Vette's(at least) a Lambo and hopefully a Saleen.
The only question for me now is which race, Silverstone is the easiest travel race, but I was there last year and I'd like to see another track.

Chad
Are you sure there are going to be that many DB's there? Is AMR BMS Scuderia Italia going to be affected by James Turner leaving?? Or is everything hunky dorry??

L.P.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1818861)   #60
Chad Rogers
Rookie

Actually I am not sure, there is Race Alliance for sure(with Janis), Barwell(hopefully full season), I guess I am just assuming that Phoenix will be back and then BMS. So it's possible there will only be two cars that I am aware of, but hopefully five.

Chad
Old 18 Jan 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1818901)   #61
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
There may be a 2nd DBR9 for Race Alliance , if they can find the money .
Old 19 Jan 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1819166)   #62
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Well although it's not entirely unexpected, the announcement that the P&M Vettes will once again run in ALMS is a bit of a blow for LMS and FIA GT. Unless we still get to see them do Spa24 for example?
Old 19 Jan 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1819194)   #63
Chad Rogers
Rookie

I never really thought it was ever going to happen. I suspect we will see similar news from Aston Martin soon, I sure hope so at least.

Chad
Old 19 Jan 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1819202)   #64
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Well although it's not entirely unexpected, the announcement that the P&M Vettes will once again run in ALMS is a bit of a blow for LMS and FIA GT. Unless we still get to see them do Spa24 for example?
I wish they had someone to race against, but I'm pleased to see them supporting their 'home' Series. It's where they belong IMO.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1819241)   #65
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Aston Martin do come to FIA GT they will have someone to race against, the works Vitaphone Maserati's. Vitaphone and Maserati showed in 2005 at the Spa 24 hours who has the faster car. Not only did they qualify on pole but they lead the race more or less start to finish.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1819354)   #66
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As well as wondering about the Saleens earlier, I wonder if any interest has been raised by the Ferrari 550 seen at the end of last year? Or has that car in general simply had it's day, now?
Old 19 Jan 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1819363)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah I was wondering about that too.

Wasn't that car supposed to be a possible low cost prospect for those who wanted to run older cars?

If so there's added significance if the GT1 entry ends up being lower than last year. 550's/ 575's could be useful to bolster the grids?
Old 19 Jan 2007, 14:32 (Ref:1819404)   #68
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thinking about the Ferrari 575/550's, does anyone have any word yet as to SRO's plan to introduce a privateers cup? Or whatever it is they were going to call it. I've not heard anything regarding this for a while but if it does appear it could well bolster GT1 grids considerably.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1819455)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Thinking about the Ferrari 575/550's, does anyone have any word yet as to SRO's plan to introduce a privateers cup? Or whatever it is they were going to call it. I've not heard anything regarding this for a while but if it does appear it could well bolster GT1 grids considerably.
Well put Saleen that's what I was trying to ask!!
Old 19 Jan 2007, 18:20 (Ref:1819607)   #70
Chad Rogers
Rookie

Quote:
If Aston Martin do come to FIA GT they will have someone to race against, the works Vitaphone Maserati's. Vitaphone and Maserati showed in 2005 at the Spa 24 hours who has the faster car. Not only did they qualify on pole but they lead the race more or less start to finish.
Actually that's not true at all, the Phoenix AM lead for the majority of the race(2006) only to be overtaken in the last hour or so.

Chad
Old 19 Jan 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1819615)   #71
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yup, was a super-close finish really.

And I had already been on my way back home because I had to pick up the work I had left lying on the Saturday to drive down there.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 21:02 (Ref:1819744)   #72
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rogers
Actually that's not true at all, the Phoenix AM lead for the majority of the race(2006) only to be overtaken in the last hour or so.

Chad
Look at what I said very carefully. I said 2005, not 2006.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 21:40 (Ref:1819778)   #73
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Look at what I said very carefully. I said 2005, not 2006.
You are correct in that you talked about different years. But I do beleive that he was countering your assertion that the Maserati was far and away better than the Aston and gave the 06 results between the two as a reference!

L.P.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1819793)   #74
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I was talking about a comparissan between the factory Maserati's and the factory Aston Martin team though. Besides, Maserati were clearly the class of the field in 2006 too, sure they didnt qualify on pole but how much of that was down to just luck? As I remember at least 1 of the 3 sessions were wet and given Maserati's pace I think we all know that over a single lap they are the fastest car on the grid, particularly when everyone has 0kg of ballast, like at Spa.

I say again, when the works Maserati team has gone up against the works Aston Martin's it has always won. Will be interesting to see if that remains the case. What would make it really interesting though is if the works Corvettes turn up too, a 3 way factory team fight in GT1 would be very interesting.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 22:04 (Ref:1819817)   #75
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone 2005 .. the Aston won

Ciao Marco