Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Apr 2004, 16:11 (Ref:929857)   #51
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by D.R.T.
Couldn't it also be said that Champ Car has reached the bottom if its decine and could be on the way up again
It can't fall any further. They can't even get a sponsor for the series champion.

Long Beach, and Toronto are the key. The IRL needs to poach these from champ cars next year (if legally possible) and than the series formerly know as CART will be totally irrelevent, though its pretty much irrelevent today.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 17:34 (Ref:929945)   #52
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I think its possible that the Indy 500 has seen the bottom, and is now ready to climb back up in the ratings, the attendance, and its prominence.

The drivers and teams listed for this years Indy 500 look impressive, and with some late entries coming in, we'll have a proper Bump Day. It's shaping up to be a good one.

No matter your opinion of the IRL and Tony George, I hate to see people root against the Indy 500. Is its decline good for anyone? :confused:
If you think the 500 is going to bounce back this year, and that there is going to be a proper Bump Day, you must be dreaming. The best case scenario is that there might be 33 entries for the race this year. All the negative press that has surrounded the lack of entries only serves to marginalize the event, thus further eroding the fan base.

In an earlier post you stated that the 500 was "still the biggest race in America, if not the world". If this was 1994 you would have a point, but unfortunately this race may never be the same.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 17:41 (Ref:929952)   #53
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
It can't fall any further. They can't even get a sponsor for the series champion.

Long Beach, and Toronto are the key. The IRL needs to poach these from champ cars next year (if legally possible) and than the series formerly know as CART will be totally irrelevent, though its pretty much irrelevent today.
Molson won't move Toronto to the IRL unless Champ Car fails. Why would any organization want to go from promoting three(Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal) successful events down to just one(TG only wants Toronto)? The IRL would have nothing going for it in Canada if it screwed two cities out of holding races, and then came to town with no Canadian drivers.

Molson knows that their best chance for success lies with OWRS, and most Canadian fans are right there with them.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 23:40 (Ref:930334)   #54
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ac.
Molson knows that their best chance for success lies with OWRS, and most Canadian fans are right there with them.
Well thats an understatement!

The Canadians are fiercely loyal to Champ Cars, and I really don't think the IRL should even try to venture there because of it, no matter what happens to OWRS. The IRL could never replace them up there, so why waste the time, effort, and money. Its been my observation, that Canadians seem to be the most vocal in their dislike and distrust for TG and the IRL.

So really, I think they'll have to live and die with OWRS.

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Apr 2004, 04:15 (Ref:930474)   #55
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watch the IRL and would go to see it if it were here. I am also Canadian.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 09:27 (Ref:930722)   #56
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ac.
The best case scenario is that there might be 33 entries for the race this year.

There have been 33 official entries since the end of last week, and a few more are most likely on the way in.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 09:43 (Ref:930734)   #57
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparantly will are a re few more, but the IRL aren't going to say anything untill the teams in question do. Thats what someone said on the Panther racing forums anyways....
Old 5 Apr 2004, 12:52 (Ref:930979)   #58
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
There have been 33 official entries since the end of last week, and a few more are most likely on the way in.
There are 33 entries listed, 9 of which are rent-a-rides where drivers have not been listed. I guess TG decided that he should have closed his mouth instead of opening it when he said that 33 was "just a number". Now he has obviously opened his wallet to ensure a full field. I really doubt we will see any more entries actually materialize in time for qualifying.