Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Jan 2004, 10:13 (Ref:850785)   #51
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy_NL
I have driven enough in France with lorries and trailers (so 55 mph max) to have seen enough Frenchmen drive even faster than the faster foreigners. Especially on the A-roads they can drive like there's no tomorrow.
Confirmed ; but it's not because we drive like morons (and I think we do, I said before what I thought of our french behavior at the wheel) that you have to do the same...

Quote:
Does anybody know when those French will release confirmation of campingplaces? They told me in October they would release end of December or beginning of January, but I read somewhere that could be delayed untill April?
Give a call to ACO ; I receive my tickets confirmation, I paid, and the "virtual" tickets are now mine.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 13:41 (Ref:852241)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Aysedasi>>

I have driven enough in France with lorries and trailers (so 55 mph max) to have seen enough Frenchmen drive even faster than the faster foreigners. Especially on the A-roads they can drive like there's no tomorrow.

I'm sure they do. Just as every country has lunatics who drive around thinking their impressive driving skills will save them when a child jumps off the pavement in front of them.

I'm not going to preach - hell, when I was younger I drove at silly speeds too and I've posted elsewhere about how I detest the proliferation of traffic taxation cameras, but as I become more aged and infirm (), I tend to think about the risks involved a little bit more. Besides, why drive at that sort of speed through France, slow down and enjoy it.. What's the hurry?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:08 (Ref:853097)   #53
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Besides, why drive at that sort of speed through France, slow down and enjoy it..
Enjoy the Route du Soleil? You must be joking
Old 28 Jan 2004, 06:02 (Ref:853187)   #54
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Enjoy the Route du Soleil? You must be joking
Take your time, and dodge the ugly motorways (especially the Route du Soleil !) : take two days and cross the Massif Central : wonderful old mountains, lovely villages, nice food and cool people... I never found a nice motorway, everywhere I was...
Old 28 Jan 2004, 08:41 (Ref:853275)   #55
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
I never found a nice motorway
Agreed, but at least many French motorways are relatively quiet. My father once described the motorway out of Boulogne as "eerie". Having spent most of last week on the M1 the thought of the A28 is relatively atractive!

It does help that there is an Almond Croissant at the end of it though!

FG
Old 28 Jan 2004, 10:27 (Ref:853398)   #56
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
Agreed, but at least many French motorways are relatively quiet. My father once described the motorway out of Boulogne as "eerie". Having spent most of last week on the M1 the thought of the A28 is relatively atractive!

It does help that there is an Almond Croissant at the end of it though!

FG
Some motorways are quite nice though : between Clermont Ferrand and the south of France, nice landscape, spotth mountains, green, no cars on the road, nice villages around when you decide to pause for a lunch... it's worth it... you still have to pay the toll, though, that's the problem of the french Mways...

The one between Angers and Bourgueil is not bad too... remember ?

Last edited by Fab; 28 Jan 2004 at 10:27.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 12:25 (Ref:853504)   #57
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
The one between Angers and Bourgueil is not bad too... remember ?
That was when you and Jones had filled the boots of two cars with wine, wasn't it? I remember the empty wallet!

FG
Old 28 Jan 2004, 14:09 (Ref:853639)   #58
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
I remember the empty wallet!

If you want to drink it, you've to buy it first !
Old 28 Jan 2004, 14:12 (Ref:853646)   #59
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

If you want to drink it, you've to buy it first !
Yep, but there's may a slip twixt cup and lip!

FG
Old 28 Jan 2004, 19:06 (Ref:854095)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh, your a "spiller" are you - I've heard about your kind.......

I don't believe in spilling a drop........
Old 29 Jan 2004, 00:30 (Ref:854485)   #61
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Oh, your a "spiller" are you
Not at all! Just a running in-joke I'm afraid! If I spill any wine the old bat comes down on me like a ton of bricks.

(Several more for your collection Fab!)

FG
Old 29 Jan 2004, 06:23 (Ref:854683)   #62
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
Not at all! Just a running in-joke I'm afraid! If I spill any wine the old bat comes down on me like a ton of bricks.

(Several more for your collection Fab!)

FG
Spill the wine ? Well I never ! You should be "running cuckoo" !

(sorry mates, my english lesson is on its way ; today : idioms)
Old 29 Jan 2004, 13:41 (Ref:855138)   #63
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year some guys slept in a tent on the plot next to mine on Parking Blanc (only 30 Euros on 2003). It's just a parking, camping is forbidden but some guys passed over this point.

Some hotels can be available for the week, just depending the comfort and the price you need.

One important point is the recreative aspect of a trip in Le MAns, out of race's week. (OK this sentence is probably out of sense but red wine is beginning to decrease my english skills)

You've got a lot of places to see, a lot of tables to try, wines to taste, pubs to crawl,...

... just ask me !!!

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 29 Jan 2004, 13:42 (Ref:855139)   #64
Gilles
Racer

European Union
and you all may join us for the traditionnal dinner on friday evening.

Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:27 (Ref:855289)   #65
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Gilles !

Notice that Pascal and me will be in the white park too...
Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:45 (Ref:855313)   #66
Gilles
Racer

European Union
BTW this is probably the nicest and nearest Parking.

I should have an inner car pass so we wouldn't be park mates

Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:57 (Ref:855328)   #67
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilles
BTW this is probably the nicest and nearest Parking.

I should have an inner car pass so we wouldn't be park mates
Is the green one not even nearer than the white ? I pay to be inside in November, and found it very practicle... but the problem is to go out in June....
Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:06 (Ref:855342)   #68
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Why you want to go out in June ???

You get bored by the race ???

Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:07 (Ref:855346)   #69
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:

Huh... ... I have to admit I need a shower and a bed... me think I'm getting old
Old 29 Jan 2004, 19:34 (Ref:855528)   #70
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

After the 1000 kms, I had to wait for nearly 20 minutes to leave my car place, going through the tunnel under the Dunlop curve and get out through the main gate. Even in case of minimal crowd it's difficult to get out of the circuit area.
Fab left his place only 10 minutes before I did. This is enough for a cork to appear.
(Cork=traffic jam ).

Last edited by PascaLM; 29 Jan 2004 at 19:36.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 06:58 (Ref:856010)   #71
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by PascaLM
After the 1000 kms, I had to wait for nearly 20 minutes to leave my car place, going through the tunnel under the Dunlop curve and get out through the main gate. Even in case of minimal crowd it's difficult to get out of the circuit area.
Fab left his place only 10 minutes before I did. This is enough for a cork to appear.
(Cork=traffic jam ).
Forget it : I was stuck YEARS in that tunnel... and with froggies taking the other one (way in to go out), making the situation even worst...

Gilles, forget my question, I'll stay outside !
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:21 (Ref:856361)   #72
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Huh... ... I have to admit I need a shower and a bed... me think I'm getting old

As we English have been known to say from time to time..... cobblers mon ami!

Getting old? I think I have a few more years than you Fab. You still miss the best part of the race - that bit when the sky goes all dark and the cars develop yellow or white "eyes"...

I may disappear for a meal for a couple of hours on Saturday evening, but my game plan every year is to watch as much of the race as I possibly can. After all, its only once a year.....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 14:16 (Ref:856439)   #73
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
You still miss the best part of the race - that bit when the sky goes all dark and the cars develop yellow or white "eyes"...

I may disappear for a meal for a couple of hours on Saturday evening, but my game plan every year is to watch as much of the race as I possibly can. After all, its only once a year.....
I didn't say I missed the WHOLE night... part of it, in the middle !

I love to have a meal on the Village's square (we did last year) and go back in the GS 'till 11pm or so, but then I fancy a shower and some silence... and I'm back on the track as soon as possible ! Not sure I miss a lot more than you, though ! and remember that I had PQ as an aperitif !

Quote:
Getting old? I think I have a few more years than you Fab.
It's all in your mind, my friend ! You're much more younger than me !

Last edited by Fab; 30 Jan 2004 at 14:17.