Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 Nov 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3162152)   #51
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
In 1974 I sold everything up that I had to do with racing, a few years later I went motocrossing for about 8 years and then after I got married and had the house sorted I went back into classic saloons picking up my old sponsors again so never say never !
If I had any sort of big gap, next time I went racing it would have to be funded by my pension!
Old 4 Nov 2012, 08:40 (Ref:3162168)   #52
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Not just financial exhaustion.... somewhere along the line I've also lost the thrill of it. I used to enjoy going to my garage to work on the car for the next race or season. I used to get nervous the week before the race and often the night before I'd hardly sleep. I used to look forward to seeing everyone in the paddock, seeing the other cars, hearing the engines rev up. Firing up my own car used to give me goosebumps and pulling out onto a track felt like the best thing ever.

More recently though most of these things have been missing. I always said to myself: The day it stops making me nervous and excited just thinking about racing my car.... it was the day to find a new hobby. The day came.
I know exactly how you feel, I'm going through a similar debate with myself at the moment and am close to calling time on it as well. I've been racing for 30 years and the last 5 or so have been the most unpleasant of the lot. I've had more accidents, injuries etc... than the rest of my time put together... and the excitement and enthusiasm of a race weekend has all but gone. I've not started selling my kit yet but I guess it's something I'll face up to soon.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3162283)   #53
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Tthe Lightweight E-type ones are spare. The wet weather tyres are on ebay ending today. Only got one bid so far so
I'm not sure the Lightweight Etype ones will fit on the back of my car, although they may do with the Dunlop tyres on. The tyres are on my watch list so will look in later.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3162473)   #54
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
... and the excitement and enthusiasm of a race weekend has all but gone. I've not started selling my kit yet but I guess it's something I'll face up to soon.
To be honest, I can't understand why anyone would do a hobby they didn't enjoy. You'd have to be is some seriously deep rut in life to spend your spare time and money on something you weren't getting fun/satisfaction out of. Ok so sometimes you need to be a bit masochistic when you're trying to achieve an ambition, but going through a rough patch.... but 5 years?

IMHO its a balance between the amount of time and money you have (and are prepared to commit) and the ambitions you have. For me, I can't do stasis (let alone moving backward). I have to keep moving forward, and essentially I've reached the limit of where I can get to in my branch of motorsport on my budget. I have no interest in changing to a different branch just for the sake of staying in motorsport, so that just left the prospect of frustration and boredom.....
Old 4 Nov 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3162474)   #55
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Well someone got a bargain on your tyres, I did try but someone must have had a snipe bid in
Old 4 Nov 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3162539)   #56
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
To be honest, I can't understand why anyone would do a hobby they didn't enjoy.
I think it's because someone has always done XYZ, so it's what they are used to and it's a part of their life structure. And often they think they are going through a rough patch and it will get better.

They say that we go through life changes every 6-7 years and in my life that is how it has shook out. My perspective on things and what is important to me changes as well.

I think with motorsport is that it requires such a big commitment in time and money and resources such as space to work on a car, that it exhausts people often before they get tired of driving. In a lot of ways, motorsport stresses me out due to all the money involved. It's much easier to go kayaking, mountain biking or target shooting and all that costs me almost nothing in continuing costs and effort.

What I decided was going in debt or being under financial strain was no longer worth it and if I didn't achieve what I wanted to in the sport, so be it. You have to think about your health, the fact that someday when you are older, it would be nice to have work as something that is optional, rather than being forced to work at 70 and it would be better to have a paid off house than a mortgage.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3162905)   #57
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
To be honest, I can't understand why anyone would do a hobby they didn't enjoy. You'd have to be is some seriously deep rut in life to spend your spare time and money on something you weren't getting fun/satisfaction out of. Ok so sometimes you need to be a bit masochistic when you're trying to achieve an ambition, but going through a rough patch.... but 5 years?
It's a fair point... I've done progressively less over the last 5 years though, so that's probably one reason why it hasn't felt so masochistic.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3162915)   #58
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
All fair points

And yes the tyres went cheap Tim, if you'd bid a bit more they might have been yours.... or might have just got me more money for them
Old 5 Nov 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3162918)   #59
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
All fair points

And yes the tyres went cheap Tim, if you'd bid a bit more they might have been yours.... or might have just got me more money for them
I was high bidder with a few seconds to go and getting very excited, then a bid of £185 or so went in and my top bid was pipped all with about 5 seconds so you wouldn't even have got that without my help
Old 5 Nov 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3162944)   #60
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
I had worked that out

Ta

Did you know that that my HANS device now costs over £800 new You still interested or should I put that up next?
Old 5 Nov 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3162995)   #61
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:

Did you know that that my HANS device now costs over £800 new You still interested or should I put that up next?
I'd have to try it for the angle, do they come in neck sizes?
Old 5 Nov 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3163061)   #62
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think it's because someone has always done XYZ, so it's what they are used to and it's a part of their life structure. And often they think they are going through a rough patch and it will get better.

They say that we go through life changes every 6-7 years and in my life that is how it has shook out. My perspective on things and what is important to me changes as well.

I think with motorsport is that it requires such a big commitment in time and money and resources such as space to work on a car, that it exhausts people often before they get tired of driving. In a lot of ways, motorsport stresses me out due to all the money involved. It's much easier to go kayaking, mountain biking or target shooting and all that costs me almost nothing in continuing costs and effort.

What I decided was going in debt or being under financial strain was no longer worth it and if I didn't achieve what I wanted to in the sport, so be it. You have to think about your health, the fact that someday when you are older, it would be nice to have work as something that is optional, rather than being forced to work at 70 and it would be better to have a paid off house than a mortgage.

I would agree with the statement I bolded.
I too have plenty of hobbies and they are accessible, easy and cheap to participate in. Trouble is, I enjoy them but they aren't very forfulling.
I have a love/hate relationship with motorsport. I find it so all consuming and challenging. Addictive really is the word. Addictive beyond the point of common sense
And despite the grief to joy ratio I love doing it.
3 times I've thrown my hands in the air and walked away but been lured back in again
My name is Icarus and I am a motorsport addict...
Old 5 Nov 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3163064)   #63
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I'd have to try it for the angle, do they come in neck sizes?
I'll PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
I would agree with the statement I bolded.
I too have plenty of hobbies and they are accessible, easy and cheap to participate in. Trouble is, I enjoy them but they aren't very forfulling.
I have a love/hate relationship with motorsport. I find it so all consuming and challenging. Addictive really is the word. Addictive beyond the point of common sense
3 times I've thrown my hands in the air and walked away but been lured back in again
My name is Icarus and I am a motorsport addict...
Not sure that my other hobbies are as forfulling at the moment either. I'm working on it, but I do know what you mean. I remember at Croft one year standing miserable and cold in the freezing rain, ankle deep in mud, watching the racing before my session. Just before going back to my car I turned to a fellow driver and said "What the hell do we do this for?". Then I went out on track. When I got back I plodded through the mud back to the same spot I'd been before. Turned to to same chap with a grin from ear to ear and said "Ahh yes... I remember!".

Trouble is, that was more than 10 years ago.... and the buzz isn't the same anymore.

Last edited by dtype38; 5 Nov 2012 at 22:18.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3163093)   #64
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be something in the water ! Interesting reading your thoughts dtype38. The last race I did I returned back to the van and the faimly asked where's the smile ! that sums it up really reading your original post has reminded me of the build up and nerves that I used to experience before a race that I hadn't noticed wasn't there anymore ! I'm not saying I don't enjoy it anymore. I feel I'm just turning up which is not enough

Ive took the decision a few weeks ago to have a year out next year and go fly fishing! I may get offers to drive a friends car and if I still feel the same without the pressure of the spanering and cost implications then its fairwell !
What scares me is I've heard that 3 of my old racing buddies have given up this year !
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:07 (Ref:3163096)   #65
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I too have plenty of hobbies and they are accessible, easy and cheap to participate in. Trouble is, I enjoy them but they aren't very forfilling.
I love participating in motorsport. I find it so all consuming and challenging. Addictive really is the word. Addictive beyond the point of common sense

My name is Robyn and I am a motorsport addict...
Slightly modified quote,but this is exactly what i'm going through at the moment.

Its like Women,you cant live with them and you cant live without them.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3163098)   #66
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'll PM you.

Not sure that my other hobbies are as forfulling at the moment either. I'm working on it, but I do know what you mean. I remember at Croft one year standing miserable and cold in the freezing rain, ankle deep in mud, watching the racing before my session. Just before going back to my car I turned to a fellow driver and said "What the hell do we do this for?". Then I went out on track. When I got back I plodded through the mud back to the same spot I'd been before. Turned to to same chap with a grin from ear to ear and said "Ahh yes... I remember!".

Trouble is, that was more than 10 years ago.... and the buzz isn't the same anymore.
The other thing that I've done of late that has given me a lot of pleasure is to give some young fella a skid in my car(s)

And to be fair I never used to understand why anyone would let someone else drive at their expense when they could be having the 'fun' themselves. But it is a different sort of fun and a chance to give something back

I'm not a mega wealthy bloke, just a fella on a salary. As the saying goes - you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3163114)   #67
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN #51 View Post
Ive took the decision a few weeks ago to have a year out next year and go fly fishing!
Strangely enough, I had taken exactly the same sort of decision, although it was to take next year out and go scuba diving. A sabbatical to recharge the batteries, as it were.

But then I thought about it a bit more. About my race car taking up the garage and doing nothing... but still needing attention, and with worn out tyres that need replacing. And then there's the motorhome which needs tax/mot/servicing just to sit there for a year. Oh and the trailer taking up space on the drive. And the lifeline fire extinguisher which needs servicing to stay in date, and the race licence and club memberships that need renewing, and my crash helmet which is out of date next year.... the list goes on.

It was only after contemplating all these things that I realised just how big a commitment it is to go racing and how much of that commitment doesn't go away if you take a year out. Explaining to the wife why all the expense is worth while is difficult enough when I'm actually racing... explaining it when I'm not? And so the idea of a sabbatical took on a more permanent form.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:34 (Ref:3163115)   #68
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
The other thing that I've done of late that has given me a lot of pleasure is to give some young fella a skid in my car(s)

And to be fair I never used to understand why anyone would let someone else drive at their expense when they could be having the 'fun' themselves. But it is a different sort of fun and a chance to give something back

I'm not a mega wealthy bloke, just a fella on a salary. As the saying goes - you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.
I wouldn't knock that at all. I have a friend who built a great little race car and developed it to the point that he simply wasn't talented enough to get the best out of it. So he let a "young gun" have a go and was so chuffed at how well his car did that he decided it was more fun to fund a car at the front of the grid than drive one at the back!

If it wasn't for people like him, we would have a lot less sponsorship in motorsport.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 00:50 (Ref:3163139)   #69
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't knock that at all. I have a friend who built a great little race car and developed it to the point that he simply wasn't talented enough to get the best out of it. So he let a "young gun" have a go and was so chuffed at how well his car did that he decided it was more fun to fund a car at the front of the grid than drive one at the back!

If it wasn't for people like him, we would have a lot less sponsorship in motorsport.
There are a lot of wealthy guys that are over driving and putting themselves at risk on track and just enjoy owning the cars and seeing them run. Just like wealthy guys that own old warbirds, a lot of them don't know how to fly them and just enjoy owning them and seeing them flown.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 07:40 (Ref:3163224)   #70
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Especially in AMerica! I have seen it with my own eyes, but it is just as bad over ehre, spending a ton of money at Godwood to watch a geratric go up the hill at walking pace is not my idea of fun!

Yes its great to see stuff like that, but I want to at least see the being revved or used a bit, not just driven like I would drive it!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3163230)   #71
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm really enjoying looking after MiniM's TKM, even though my 924 is in the drive just crying out for some TLC. It's easier to prep, cheaper to run and easier to look after at the meeting than the car which helps!

They always say you know when it's time to give up. I've had a couple of hints this year :-(
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:28 (Ref:3163416)   #72
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post

Its like Women,you cant live with them and you cant live without them.

Oh yes you can .................. as you get older common sense should kick in !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3163481)   #73
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
...or perhaps it should be: women are like cars, when they get old they can be traded in for a newer model...
Old 6 Nov 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3163488)   #74
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be the reason i'm into historics.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 08:19 (Ref:3164006)   #75
Stainless Steve
Rookie

England
Meopham Kent
Stainless Steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
My name is Steve and I'm a Motorsport Addict.
I've just finished my 5th season racing a Westfield Hayabusa, I managed to do a big end at the Birkett a couple of weeks ago, so the winter refresh is now a crank, rods and shells, plus gaskets, probably valves etc, etc, etc.
I won my club championship a couple of seasons ago, based on class wins rather than outright wins and my wife said to me ' Don't you get fed up with coming 4th or 5th rather than 1st over the line?' Good point dear....
5 grand later I'd turbocharged the engine for the coming season.
It's taken me 2 seasons to get the gearbox reliable, but Silverstone revealed the oil system shortcomings!
If I were to break it down to a pain and gain ratio it would probably be about 95% pain 5% gain, most people can't understand how after 37 years in motorsport ( Trials from 11 years old then Motox, Karting, Road Racing, Enduro, Supermoto then the car.) I still keep coming back for more.
I understand what a few of you have said about ' Not getting the butterflies anymore'. The first year I started the car, it didn't handle and unlike a bike, I was strapped in it so could'nt even attempt to ride round the shortcomings. I wasn't getting the Buzz of the bike racing and the rollcage and harness didn't help to get it either if I'm honest.
Once I'd got the car to handle and then ironed out all the issues of a car that was now going a lot faster (cooling, wiring, petrol surge etc) my 3rd season was great. I did 18 races, won 13 and came second in 5, with not one real issue, let alone a DNF. The turbo ended this the following year.... The need for speed!
I have'nt had the 'Butterflies' for about a year now, not knowing if the car will finish takes the edge off your nerves about the start, but at the Birkett, a race and a circuit I'd never done before, I felt them again.
I'd volunteered to do the start, we'd qualified 7th so I was on the 4th row and looking in my mirror on the grid with 61 cars behind me, I definately felt my heart beating again. I'd only done 6 laps in qualifying and they were the only laps I'd ever done at Silverstone. I passed two cars before the first corner and 6 laps in I still had only lost a few places, not too bad considering I still didn't really know what way the grand Prix circuit went!
I thought ' I can do this' and I felt what I can only describe as euphoria.
Then the vibration and clatter as I came out of Maggots soon shat on that.
I've already bought a set of Carrillo's....
I'll be back in March.
I'm Steve.. I'm a Motorsport addict.