Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Oct 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2967095)   #51
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy View Post
You could get really into it and do Detroit, Montreal and Le Mans back to back. I'm thinking of it, but not sure yet.
Detroit confirmed yet? Would make a nice filler for the gap between Nurburgring and Le Mans 24 hours. We´ll put it on the list!
Old 7 Oct 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2967100)   #52
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
Anyone interested in Canada for CGP 2012 (Me!) should contact info@acind.ca
in the first instance!
thanks for the link mark, its very tempting!
Old 7 Oct 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2967261)   #53
hellblade
Rookie

England
Gillingham, Medway
hellblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volunteering for events abroad -lemans 24hr/nurbergring

After doing the britcar 24hr i seem to have developed a taste for 24hr hour races, im interested in doing the lemans 24hr and maybe the nurburgring 24hr races next year....

my only problem is i have no idea how or the contacts to do this, any help would be appreciated. ta
Old 7 Oct 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2967265)   #54
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Observational skills are a must!!

Please check the other thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128654 which is about 4 threads below this one!!
Old 7 Oct 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2967268)   #55
hellblade
Rookie

England
Gillingham, Medway
hellblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah eerrmmm.... nuff said there i need to wake up some lol, cheers
Old 11 Oct 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2969248)   #56
NewYankee01
Veteran

i need someone to help me with le mans application,

this is the first time applying for LM, got the international application form through ViM, although it has a tickie box at the bottom of the page for le mans i checked it when applying on the website, so the paperwork ive got through do i photocopy the page, tick the box and fill out the details and send off to the msa? or do i just wait as im already down for LM as said on ViM? i dont know on this occasion if the document i got goes straight to the ACO (address anyone) or the msa?
Old 11 Oct 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2969403)   #57
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
i need someone to help me with le mans application,

this is the first time applying for LM, got the international application form through ViM, although it has a tickie box at the bottom of the page for le mans i checked it when applying on the website, so the paperwork ive got through do i photocopy the page, tick the box and fill out the details and send off to the msa? or do i just wait as im already down for LM as said on ViM? i dont know on this occasion if the document i got goes straight to the ACO (address anyone) or the msa?
Yes, the paperwork goes back to the MSA who will furnish you with your letter to marshal overseas. The MSA will also forward your details to the ACO, and the ACO will then send their event application form direct to you. You need to return it with a copy of your licence, a photo and a copy of your MSA letter.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2969410)   #58
Charlyw001
Rookie

Charlyw001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
International marshal

I keep thinking about applying for Le-mans in 2013.

Charlotte
Old 12 Oct 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2969947)   #59
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlyw001 View Post
I keep thinking about applying for Le-mans in 2013.

Charlotte
break the bank and apply for 2012...
Old 12 Oct 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2969953)   #60
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
Yes, the paperwork goes back to the MSA who will furnish you with your letter to marshal overseas. The MSA will also forward your details to the ACO, and the ACO will then send their event application form direct to you. You need to return it with a copy of your licence, a photo and a copy of your MSA letter.
without sounding ott, that's everything i need to know, thanks v much, if only all abroad events were explained so clearly!
Old 12 Oct 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2969967)   #61
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
without sounding ott, that's everything i need to know, thanks v much, if only all abroad events were explained so clearly!
Most overseas events only require you to do the same as a UK event - contact the chief marshal, introduce yourself, ask to marshal the event and follow the instructions given. Simples
Old 12 Oct 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2969973)   #62
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Simples
*Squeeks*
Old 12 Oct 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2970156)   #63
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Most overseas events only require you to do the same as a UK event - contact the chief marshal, introduce yourself, ask to marshal the event and follow the instructions given. Simples
well thanks for the advice but ive been there done that on every event ive tried registering for, this is how i register for little known rallies since ive started even before i knew any different even on my first event when i didnt know what i was doing and just contacted the cm in the same way,

the problem with events abroad is what happens if the CM doesnt speak english or a language i cant at least bridge with, when i picked up the phone for wrc finland the CM's details was the easiest to find out of all international events but i rang the number and what did i get, pure, full on finnish answer phone message, tried the secretary then the switchboard. i promptly gave up for a bit...
Old 13 Oct 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2970277)   #64
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
well thanks for the advice but ive been there done that on every event ive tried registering for, this is how i register for little known rallies since ive started even before i knew any different even on my first event when i didnt know what i was doing and just contacted the cm in the same way,

the problem with events abroad is what happens if the CM doesnt speak english or a language i cant at least bridge with, when i picked up the phone for wrc finland the CM's details was the easiest to find out of all international events but i rang the number and what did i get, pure, full on finnish answer phone message, tried the secretary then the switchboard. i promptly gave up for a bit...
why on earth would you expect someone in another country to speak English or any other language that you just happen to know ..... and fancy phoning someone in Finland and getting an answerphone message in Finnish
Old 13 Oct 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2970297)   #65
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a lot of uk marshals who have marshalled abroad without any difficulties. The MSA ARE very helpful IMHO, if you speak to them directly. NY you appear to be an isolated case here. There's plenty of advice been given here that has worked for many of us in the past.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:03 (Ref:2970305)   #66
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
my advice to NY -
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”
and
"Learn to walk before you run"

PS did'nt you say somewhere before that you could get by in Finnish?
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2970310)   #67
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
oh yeah, post 36, this thread - conversational Finnish
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2970362)   #68
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know how to finish a conversation aswell, but a could never talk to a Scandinavian.
Off to Nurburgring this weekend with some fellow marshals who go quite often. I also know the sector chief. Got my license and my marshalling abroad letter, job done. Sometimes you just have to get to know the right people.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2970367)   #69
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
been there, Dane that
(conversations not the ring)
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2970371)   #70
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you can only speak English, you could always use the method of a good friend who took me the Spa 24hrs this year. Get closer, talk slower, talk louder! Can't say it really worked.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2970379)   #71
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
There are a lot of uk marshals who have marshalled abroad without any difficulties. The MSA ARE very helpful IMHO, if you speak to them directly. NY you appear to be an isolated case here. There's plenty of advice been given here that has worked for many of us in the past.
well ok, i have done everything you guys are saying, that's why im asking advice on here, i wouldnt need to if im sorted out, it may have been down to the person on the phone but i must have spent 15 minutes on the phone explained what it was i wanted to do, then asked for details of how to book the events who to go through, when that didnt work i tried the cm's, she didnt know seemed to ask her supervisor, then resorted to listing the events i want to book and couldnt really help me there, then tried asking if there was any international liaison people who could help get me into contact with english etc speaking cm's.

ive also read pretty much all the international threads and tried everything people have said, it must be me but as i said ive booked events before in this country that are quite hard to get into, im not saying its not easy, it will be, but im not getting any luck, never mind ill try again, ill phone the msa and report back what they said... and start to get very irrated indeed...

im an isolated case because ive got countries on my wishlist with a tiny motorsport following

Last edited by NewYankee01; 13 Oct 2011 at 10:05.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2970384)   #72
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
why on earth would you expect someone in another country to speak English or any other language that you just happen to know ..... and fancy phoning someone in Finland and getting an answerphone message in Finnish
on this occasion save it, im not expecting someone to know the languages i speak, i try, its better than not knowing any other language like most people... the way phones work is if you dont get through to someone you get answer phone, meaning i couldnt speak to the bloke i wanted to, thats why i got the finnish, he may speak english/he may not, an answer phone cant let you do that...
Old 13 Oct 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2970395)   #73
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Why not trying email and Google translator?? Send your message both in English and Finnish, if the person your´re attending to doesn´t speak or understands English, he/she can forward it to someone who does. Et voila, problem solved! (How hard can it actually be?)
Old 13 Oct 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2970440)   #74
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
my advice to NY -
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”
and
"Learn to walk before you run"

PS did'nt you say somewhere before that you could get by in Finnish?
im talking about conservational rubbish, finnish is so hard im only learning the beginning of it, its almost worthless, if you had a small grasp of a foreign language i think youd have problems when the guy says "im not in office right now until ...... leave your message or ring this number". its a long way from "do you speak english"...
Old 13 Oct 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2970444)   #75
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
I know how to finish a conversation aswell, but a could never talk to a Scandinavian.
Off to Nurburgring this weekend with some fellow marshals who go quite often. I also know the sector chief. Got my license and my marshalling abroad letter, job done. Sometimes you just have to get to know the right people.
spot on thats what ill have to do, 3 of the trips im going to next year will be because i know the main man organising the events... thats how the majority of marshals go abroad i appreciate, much easier than going it alone and trying to do events few brave marshals have done before...