Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:51 (Ref:677270)   #51
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HighContrast, so you are telling us Anthony Davidson (the guy you are always talking about in nearly very post) told you Webber destroyed Wilson. So we can see Davidson is bitter for being over-looked for the Jag drive!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 15:16 (Ref:677285)   #52
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So is that what we're talking about? In that case we need to decide if Wilson gets closer to Webber than Ant managed to do last year.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 15:24 (Ref:677287)   #53
abiz
Rookie

abiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ahhh, poor Anthony. I used to have a lot of respect for him when he raced for Haywood in FFord. Since he has been in the F1 circle all he seems to do is ***** and moan. AD had his chance to impress at Minardi last year, ok it was a very limited chance, but surely he should try and prove himself by getting back into an F1 race rather than cheap talk.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 15:46 (Ref:677312)   #54
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Doesn't matter where Wilson qualifies. As long as he's on the first five rows, he'll be in the lead by the end of the 2nd lap
Old 1 Aug 2003, 17:25 (Ref:677353)   #55
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gonna just wait for sunday to roll around. It's gonna be a fun allnighter. ^_^
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 18:23 (Ref:677388)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by high contrast
Yeah, yeah...'Hindsight' was a very clever bloke! that was then, This is now!

The real test will be qualifying and the race, I'm not as easily impressed as most of you seem to be.
Hey,

Why not celebrate the fact that two guys have just been planted in seats (like Ant was last year) and like Ant have done a bloody good job?

Unfortunately for Ant (and the rest of us) a non talented (but better than I'll ever be) but richly sponsored driver used his money to good effect. That situation doesn't apply here. Justin has taken a car from cold and put it up above the best in the world.

Nicolas has taken a car which cannot qualify higher than dead last and almost matched his vastly more experienced team mate.

Isn't that good news for F1?

Isn't it mildly impressive?

And whilst the weekend is impportant this first efort must relieve a lot of pressure on both drivers.

Reminds me of that movie Grand Prix? Have to buy the DVD now.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 18:27 (Ref:677389)   #57
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nevermind...
Deja vu nonsense...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 1 Aug 2003 at 18:30.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 21:41 (Ref:677510)   #58
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe Pizzonia was ever that close to Webber. This makes the addition of Wilson to Jaguar look good already. If Wison doesn't beat Webber outright, he will at least push him much harder than Pizzonia ever could, and than we all better watch out for the green team!

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Aug 2003, 22:31 (Ref:677547)   #59
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I' m excited about Jaguar's progress now that they have two competitive drivers pushing one another, it can only mean that the team's going to get the best out of both drivers.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 22:32 (Ref:677548)   #60
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm normally not in favour of drivers being substituted during the season, unless they're doing very badly. And sadly, that was the case with Pizzonia. He was too far behind Webber, and Wilson's performances today show that Jaguar made the right decision in getting him to drive the car in place of Antonio.

High Contrast, Abiz (welcome to the forum, btw ) is right, your posts just reveal that you're jealous because Wilson is in F1 (and moving on up!), and Anthony Davidson isn't. I quite liked Anthony Davidson, but this is not the way to win supporters, neither for yourself nor for Anthony!

Quote:
Originally posted by Attila
Also, did you see that the young Hungarian paydriver Zsolt Baumgartner was only 2 s off the pace from Fisichella? I consider that very good given Zsolt's very very limited experience with an F1 car. What is your thought on that?
Where is Corkholio when you want to hear from him?
Old 1 Aug 2003, 22:37 (Ref:677550)   #61
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Jetsetter, I agree. The three teams with the strongest driver lineups now (taking both drivers into consideration), appear to be Williams, Jaguar and Toyota (and maybe in that order).
Old 2 Aug 2003, 01:16 (Ref:677615)   #62
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by R
Yes, Jetsetter, I agree. The three teams with the strongest driver lineups now (taking both drivers into consideration), appear to be Williams, Jaguar and Toyota (and maybe in that order).
Yeah, but how do you get Toyota up there? A stronger line up than Ferrari, McLaren or Renault? I don't think so.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 03:13 (Ref:677652)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
I' m excited about Jaguar's progress now that they have two competitive drivers pushing one another, it can only mean that the team's going to get the best out of both drivers.
I feel the same. Hope our enthusiasm isn't spoiled today or over the weekend.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 03:32 (Ref:677659)   #64
R
Veteran

Just my personal opinion, Raven. I rate Cristiano da Matta and Olivier Panis very highly, that's why I put Toyota up there, and reckon they have one of the strongest driver line ups. Rubens (apart from at Silverstone and Interlagos), DC (apart from in Melbourne) and Trulli (even without his rotten luck) haven't exactly been shining, have they?
Old 2 Aug 2003, 03:35 (Ref:677660)   #65
R
Veteran

Oh and I'm speaking about performances on the track. I know DC is great at development, but a great pointscorer in the races for McLaren he is not.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 13:51 (Ref:677865)   #66
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Trulli has already beaten Panis in the same car (Prost 98&99) and McLaren didn't see him as a better alternative to DC back in 2000. da Matta is getting there, but he's not up with the big boys yet.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 14:45 (Ref:677878)   #67
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes sorry R, but I don't think Toyta's lineup is anything like as good as those of the other top teams. In terms of on track racing (ignoring PAnis and DC's acclaimed testing skills), DC comes out on top by some distance,a dn I think Raikkonen is much better (and younger) than Da Matta. Likewise Alonso is better than Da Matta, and ahs done more with the car, whereas Trulli is still doing a better raceday job than Panis.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 15:15 (Ref:677891)   #68
twinhermanos
Rookie

twinhermanos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's see.

"I don't believe Pizzonia was ever that close to Webber. This makes the addition of Wilson to Jaguar look good already. If Wison doesn't beat Webber outright, he will at least push him much harder than Pizzonia ever could, and than we all better watch out for the green team!"

Well I might be wrong but:
11) Mark Webber (AUS/Jaguar-Cosworth/M), 1min16s775
16) Justin Wilson (ING/Jaguar-Cosworth/M), 1min18s021

It doesn't looks like jaguar has made the right option yet , cos 1s2 is a lot of time for who is expected to match weber.
I can say that he did worse than Pizzonia , so this take us back of F1 is all about MONEY NOT TALENT.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 15:40 (Ref:677898)   #69
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that wilson is doing a good job, although would have been nice to see him a bit further up the final grid but never mind! For his first time in that car and at this cricuit its not a bad effort, well done justin!
Old 2 Aug 2003, 15:50 (Ref:677910)   #70
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a very unfair and harsh analysis of JWs qualfying, twinhermanos.
I agree with you that it wasn't a great lap, but I think he has done well so far this weekend
However, your analysis is based upon ONE lap. No offence but maybe give it a little more thought before reaching a rash conclusion like that.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 17:01 (Ref:677942)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
He was obviously slower in all sessions today. The gap didn't change much so either he's lost the form that he had yesterday or there's something else. Could it be tyres or fuel?

But yes I'm disappointed today but I'm ever optimistic.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 20:14 (Ref:678073)   #72
R
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
But Trulli has already beaten Panis in the same car (Prost 98&99) and McLaren didn't see him as a better alternative to DC back in 2000. da Matta is getting there, but he's not up with the big boys yet.
Just my personal opinion, Raven (and Boots), as I said. Panis was doing remarkably well in 96 and 97 before he sadly broke his leg in Canada, and I suspect that hindered him a bit, at least in 98.

I never said Trulli wasn't a good driver, and he did beat Panis fairly comprehensively, especially in 99. There's been a lot of water through the river Thames since then though, and I think Panis has benefitted from his year of testing for McLaren. Trulli has had some awful luck this year, but even so, he has been regularly outpaced by Alonso in the races. Jarno qualifies well, but he doesn't seem to have the same pace (relatively speaking) in the races. But maybe it's just because Fernando is so darn good that Jarno's performances is being put in a less than favourable light this season.

This is way off topic though, and I apologize for that. Perhaps this part of the discussion could be moved into a separate topic: "Which teams have the strongest driver lineups?"
Old 2 Aug 2003, 21:43 (Ref:678143)   #73
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm quite dissapointed with Wilson's effort as at the end of the day he was closer to Webber than Pizzonia was but it's early days & hopefully by races end we'll have two Jaguar's in the points.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 23:16 (Ref:678200)   #74
aussie_f3
Racer

Australia
Somewhere between here and there....
aussie_f3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont care where Justin finishes as long as its in front of Webber - I'm sick of the Webber hype here in Australia - time to bring him down to earth.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 23:49 (Ref:678215)   #75
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm some here forget that Pizzonia outqualified and outraced Webber last time out and was showing signs of improvement.

To be honest by the sounds of it Wilson did pretty badly today, 1.2 secs off his teammate who ran wide and lost a bundle of time in the last sector....not that good really is it?

He did quite well yesterday though.