Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Feb 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1516411)   #51
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
It does look slow and tight doesn't it? I think the first lap could be 'interesting', it will take a lot of discipline and luck for all 50 cars to get through unscathed.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1516535)   #52
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccharlie6
looks like they've done a spa bus stop to it, and pretty much every driver ive heard comment on the new bus stop doesnt like it.
I don't understand what you mean. They have hardly changed it? Whereas the new Bus Stopis significantly different to the old ond. I guess the Dunlop Chicane at Le Mans is a curve leading up to a left-right, but it has been like this since they first introduced a chicane there decades ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccharlie6
It does look slow and tight doesn't it? I think the first lap could be 'interesting', it will take a lot of discipline and luck for all 50 cars to get through unscathed.
It is tighter, but is it significantly more than last year? When the kerbs go down it should open the corner up a little.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1516538)   #53
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs346
Looks like the entry to the chicane will be more straight than previous and the chicane itself will be two 90 degree curves, slowing the cars a bit more than before.
The official reason is to slow the bikes not the cars the bikes were hitting 310 KPH at this point so something had to be done!
Old 16 Feb 2006, 01:18 (Ref:1523957)   #54
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the newest photo's on the website, the first turn leading into Dunlop is now almost as tight as Copse is at Silverstone.

On the whole that part of the circuit is not too bad, what concerns me more is their plans for Tertre Rouge. IMO when the works are complete, Tertre Rouge will cease to be a "corner" but instead be a "bend". So much for decreasing speeds, the plan as I see it must give the cars a higher exit speed from the turn so consequently also at the end of the first Mulsanne straight sector!
Old 16 Feb 2006, 07:48 (Ref:1524066)   #55
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aren't the changes around the Dunlop chicane area to slow the bikes rather than cars, and as the bikes don't use Tertre Rouge or the Ligne Droite then the additional speeds shouldn't be an issue.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1524426)   #56
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Looking at the newest photo's on the website, the first turn leading into Dunlop is now almost as tight as Copse is at Silverstone.
It'll make it very interesting if/ when it rains next!
- I hope i haven't just tempted fate...
Old 16 Feb 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1524449)   #57
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Aren't the changes around the Dunlop chicane area to slow the bikes rather than cars, and as the bikes don't use Tertre Rouge or the Ligne Droite then the additional speeds shouldn't be an issue.
I realise that, which is why I said "Cars exit speeds" from Tertre Rouge. However my main point is that the ACO seems to be sending out contradictory signals.

First we have the new 2005/2006 regulations for LMP's etc which is geared to trimming the cars speed with more drag etc, and yet then the ACO go and change the circuit and increase the exit speed of Tertre Rouge.

I mean, what is the point of building more run-off area at Tertre Rouge if cars will be tempted to approach the turn faster as it will cease to be a "Corner" but instead be just a "Bend"!?
Old 28 Feb 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1533324)   #58
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We can put the Tertre Rouge debate on hold!

Due to budgetry constraints, the ACO has decided to delay the reprofiling of Tertre Rouge until 2007..........
Old 28 Feb 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1533395)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Amen to that!
Old 28 Feb 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1533415)   #60
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting aeriel shots of the new Dunlop Chicane and the mess!!!
Old 28 Feb 2006, 19:11 (Ref:1533419)   #61
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What was wrong with the last version of the Dunlop Chicane?
Old 28 Feb 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1533438)   #62
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
What was wrong with the last version of the Dunlop Chicane?
It's all to do with the bikes. The French MotoGP round is held at Le Mans and the reprofiling of the circuit is aimed at slowing the bikes down and improving safety.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1533439)   #63
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Interesting aeriel shots of the new Dunlop Chicane and the mess!!!
It's pretty sad to see it like that... I'll miss that little foresty bit just on the infield of the bridge. Hope they put some trees back - it's all part of the atmosphere for me (that and tons of yellow dust everywhere).
Old 28 Feb 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1533448)   #64
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just looking at that photos now, I can see much working going on the village area.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1533516)   #65
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom

"And the Great Black Serpent will go forth and weave its path through the Mighty gravel ocean that is in the land of the Gauls"

"Via le Long Jour" - Maximus Velocitus 251BC
Old 1 Mar 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1533936)   #66
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We can put the Tertre Rouge debate on hold!

Due to budgetry constraints, the ACO has decided to delay the reprofiling of Tertre Rouge until 2007..........
Looking at the photos I would think they have their work cut out to complete the village in time for this years race.
Old 1 Mar 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1533962)   #67
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Best news yet , no change to Tetre Rouge .....
Old 1 Mar 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1533969)   #68
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Best news yet , no change to Tetre Rouge .....
I think I may have dug up some rather old news here. The relevant article on lemans.org appears to be dated 20 December and looking back at this thread J.J.S.S.Express said as much back in December. It clearly didn't register properly at the time!

I believe some work has been carried out to the spectator area at Tertre Rouge, so that may be a little different when we get there, but fortunately the profile of the track will be the same.
Old 1 Mar 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1534065)   #69
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I think I may have dug up some rather old news here. The relevant article on lemans.org appears to be dated 20 December and looking back at this thread J.J.S.S.Express said as much back in December. It clearly didn't register properly at the time!

I believe some work has been carried out to the spectator area at Tertre Rouge, so that may be a little different when we get there, but fortunately the profile of the track will be the same.
I also thought that at the time, but wanted to spare your blushes.
Old 1 Mar 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1534074)   #70
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I also thought that at the time, but wanted to spare your blushes.
Senior moments seem to occur with increasing regularity these days.........
Old 14 Mar 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1547751)   #71
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
The first race meeting of the year at Le Mans (Bugatti Circuit) is on Sunday and the reprofiled approach to the Dunlop Chicane, the Chicane itself and the new pit exit are almost complete. The latest pictures to be released by the ACO can be found here on Infoscourse.org.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1547762)   #72
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just seen the photos on DSC, the entry to Dunlop looks really tight. It also looks as if the work in the village is coming along nicely.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1547773)   #73
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I have just seen the photos on DSC, the entry to Dunlop looks really tight. It also looks as if the work in the village is coming along nicely.
You're right, the curve looks much tighter. And the pit exit is now closer to the apex, not sure if this could cause a few problems as cars rejoin from the pits. They sometimes race three abreast at this point of the circuit. Add a slower car reaching the corner at the same time and.........

It sounds to me as if the new Village will be built in two stages, so parts of it may still look a little temporary in June.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1547779)   #74
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand why they have done it with the fastset MotoGP bikes getting to that point at just shy of 200mph, according to the ACO site, and the rider forgetting they have brakes.

But I think it is going to cause far more problems than it will solve for the 24hr car race for the reasons stated by Bentley03. I think more creative soloutions could have been found, and would even question the need for a chicane with the revised Esses now in place. Maybe a drive thru section could have been used and the chicane only used for the bikes.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1547885)   #75
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
But I think it is going to cause far more problems than it will solve for the 24hr car race for the reasons stated by Bentley03. I think more creative soloutions could have been found, and would even question the need for a chicane with the revised Esses now in place. Maybe a drive thru section could have been used and the chicane only used for the bikes.
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!
I worry about that chicane at 5pm on race day, it really does look tight and 50 cars going though in one go... As for your comments about the need for it, again I agree entirely. To see the cars flat out over the ridge without a chicane followed by a difficult downhilll brake in to the new esses would be great to watch and a real challenge for the drivers. Let the bikes have their chicane and the cars have their track.