Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Aug 2004, 17:14 (Ref:1072953)   #51
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not yet.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 17:54 (Ref:1072996)   #52
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any way why dosn't OWRS want to race at fontana? That would make a good late November date.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1073002)   #53
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There still seems to be the matter of $2 million in dispute over last year's cancellation. That's why the Fontana contract was not picked up in the bankruptcy auction by OWRS.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1073006)   #54
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really?
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 20 Aug 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1073016)   #55
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again OWRS is not CART. The guys running ISC are business men, they understand that. They know where the bodies lie and that there is no chance of recovering CART's debt from OWRS.

In the meantime they own a track which is going to be sitting idle and are faced with an opportunity to generate some income by renting the facility to OWRS.

If I were in ISC's position the answer looks kind of like a no-brainer to me.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1073023)   #56
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fontana is NOT sitting idle. It just got a second NASCAR weekend in addition to its IRL date.

If OWRS had picked up the Fontana contract in the bankruptcy auction, it also would have picked up the dispute over the $2 million and added potential liability. It wisely chose not to, leaving ISC/Fontana "stiffed" with CART's bankruptcy.

I doubt that OWRS has offered a track rental at Fontana, not wishing to get into the complication of the other deal unless or until it's settled.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1073034)   #57
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Fontana did enter into an agreement with OWRS it will have nothing to do with ISC's problems with CART. ISC is in the motorsports entertainment bussiness - OWRS is in the racing business that provides the entertainment - a deal is not out of the question. Although, at this time not one track that ISC owns hosts a CCWS race. They seem to be in concert with Nascar and IRL - but, they are a publicly traded company and making the shareholders money is #1 priority. Renting the tracks for entertainment is their source of revenue. I doubt that politics will prevent OWRS/CCWS from racing at their tracks in the future.

Visit ISC http://dbserver.iscmotorsports.com/ISCMotorSports/index.cfm
Old 20 Aug 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1073046)   #58
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
You're playing me on semantics here indycool. Not cool.

If you go to ISC's website and look at the California Speedway event schedule they show nothing scheduled in November which is the obvious date we are talking about in this thread.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1073103)   #59
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flatspot,

IC is correct on the money issue. ISC is not doing business with OWRS or CART. Nor will they until the monetary dispute is settled. ISC holds OWRS responsible for CART's debt. (Yes I know that Pook/CART/OWRS dispute the legitimacy of that claim, but it is a major sore.)

As for Novemeber track use, look closer. The October 31st date, which was the November 1 date of CART, is now GARRA. Schools, drifters and others have the track most of November. Notice for example that FastRiders (Motorcycle racing school) has the weekend of November 27-28 reserved, while Street Legal drags have it November 13 weekend. CCWS is in Mexico City November 7th. So that leaves only November 21st available for a rental. Assuming that OWRS will pay some settlement with the Speedway to retire the CART debt issue.

But why would OWRS do that anyway? That extends the season to Thanksgiving, greatly increasing the costs to themselves and the teams. This is a non-starter. The season will end in Mexico City.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1073106)   #60
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did't I point that out in a post waaaaaaay back??
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 20 Aug 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1073163)   #61
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes you did, Mags.

Bottom line, everyone: Fontana is dead. I hate to say that because I loved the races there, but lets face the reality. It's done and not an option for this year.

Hey, doesn't ALMS run a race in Washington, DC? I know that they did, and it seemed like a good race, so why couldn't OWRS race there?
Old 20 Aug 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1073170)   #62
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes they did run there two summers ago....

Unfortunately, there were noise issues, etc., that the promoteres did not deal with as promised, and other politcal stumbling blocks that forced a cancellation of the ALMS event last summer....

There are very big hurdles to overcome to make that race happen...especially from the people who live rather close to place where they held the race....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Aug 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1073184)   #63
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
I respectfully disagree with the assumption that Fontana has to be dead and that ISC won't play with OWRS but I am more than happy to drop the subject for now.

I do have a question given that John Lopes said in the Fan Forum in Denver that the final TBA would be announced "probably by the end of next week" meaning any day now:

What venue(s) could realistically support having a race less than 90 days from now?
Old 20 Aug 2004, 21:09 (Ref:1073197)   #64
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
I respectfully disagree with the assumption that Fontana has to be dead and that ISC won't play with OWRS but I am more than happy to drop the subject for now.

I do have a question given that John Lopes said in the Fan Forum in Denver that the final TBA would be announced "probably by the end of next week" meaning any day now:

What venue(s) could realistically support having a race less than 90 days from now?

The only way they could do it would be the same way that they did Las Vegas or will try to work out Puerto Rico....

They would have to piggyback onto another existing event that is already on the racing calendar...

It would be next to impossible to put on a "new stand-alone" event in 90 days and still make it work.....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 20 Aug 2004 at 21:10.

Old 22 Aug 2004, 17:56 (Ref:1074491)   #65
indycool
Veteran

Flatspot, guess we disagree but it's dropped for now.

Think they must be looking to seal up the Puerto Rico deal before they announce Seoul isn't going to happen. And, Tim, I agree. Throwing together a standalone event in 90 days would be a disaster.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 04:18 (Ref:1078784)   #66
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So at this time and date...how many races are left this season?

5, 6, or 7?
Old 27 Aug 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1078949)   #67
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
5 or 6, not 7!
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1079231)   #68
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montreal
Laguna Seca
Las Vegas
Seoul
Australia
Mex City
Venue TBA

that's 7 KB lol
Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1079272)   #69
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Seoul isn't going to happen.....it is dead....they are merely waiting to announce the "TBA" before they admit that Seoul is dead...

so it is really six....

Old 27 Aug 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1079281)   #70
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt OWRS will fill a replacement there is very little time to promote the race, get ready etc.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 06:39 (Ref:1079744)   #71
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll bet that the only way we will know about Seoul is to watch the Las Vegas TV coverage, and see what they announce will be the next race (either Seoul, Surfers, or something else).
Old 30 Aug 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1081585)   #72
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Since we're talking about TBA events, St. pete can be removed from everyone's lists for 2004 and probably for 2005....

The Indy Star published a confirmation on Sunday that The IRL will race at St. Pete on April 3, 2005....the formal announcement of the deal will be made on Thursday in the Tampa Bay area...

The "unnamed promoter" involved in that one also has been "Named"....

Barry Green....yes, THAT Barry Green.....

I would not anticipate St. Pete hosting two races....so I guess this one is probably gone from the OWRS lists for now....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 30 Aug 2004 at 14:48.

Old 30 Aug 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1081722)   #73
indycool
Veteran

Mark C. says Puerto Rico is dead, too.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1081805)   #74
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Mark C. says Puerto Rico is dead, too.

That is a surprise to me.....

Unless the Trans-Am event there fell through as well.....

Because of Gentilozzi's ties to Trans-Am, I really thought that this race would happen....

and if they are going to fill that TBA, it'll have to be tied to something that already exists on another race series schedule at this late date.....

Old 31 Aug 2004, 00:33 (Ref:1081998)   #75
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's really no sense in filling the TBAs at this point anyway. Call Mexico City the closer, and we can all look forward to next year!