Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Aug 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2519493)   #51
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
That would be interesting, and give more coverage to the GT2 race.
Corvette's commitment to GT2 is also encouraging.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2519837)   #52
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Imagin a 25 car strong GT2 field with the RSR's, 430's(458's?), M3's, C6R GT2's, XKR's, Spyker('s) and Vantages...now that would be fantastic !
Old 12 Aug 2009, 04:40 (Ref:2519962)   #53
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Wouldnt it just !!!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2520227)   #54
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
From the Financial Times last week there is the intriguing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT, 6 August
Toyota plans to build more stylish, fun-to-drive cars as part a drive to reinvigorate itself through a sharper focus on customers.

Announcing plans on Wednesday to re-enter the sports car market, Akio Toyoda, the Japanese carmaker’s newly-appointed president,said that Toyota aspired “to a higher cause than just building cars and making money”.
Obviously there are several leaps between this and a Le Mans entry, but a new racing campaign might well support the launch of a new 'more interesting' line of cars and revitalise a brand that's now summed up by the Prius and an array of fairly bland if hugely competent family cars.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2520257)   #55
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I say let them come. Toyota deffinetly has unfinished bussiness at Le Mans and as a Toyota afficionado, I'd cheer them on !
Old 12 Aug 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2520313)   #56
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah ..... It must be one hell of a headache for them that the only Japanese car manufacturer to ever win the biggy is Mazda !!!

If they had stayed for their intended 3rd year with the TS-020 , im sure they would have taken the win .
Old 12 Aug 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2520378)   #57
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cytosport Musclemilk Spyder.

L.P.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2520384)   #58
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You could chuck all the Yen in Japan at a Toyota sportscar project and still not win - the Japanese, and in particular Toyota, are cursed at Le Mans. It's not their fault at all. Lady luck is determined for them not to win it.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2520486)   #59
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
There was a fantastic article on the then Atlas F1 site about "Toyota never won Le Mans" when they went F1wards, and I cited it to a McLaren guy about 5 years back when he said he was worried about Toyota, which I think sums up a lot of the way Toyota sometimes goes racing.

I'm going to disagree about luck being against Japan - 1991 and 2005 for me scream from the rooftops that luck can really smile on them.

Possibly one for another topic, but its interesting to look at the Japanese onslaught (leaving Mazda aside). In the late days of unlimited Group C they were up against Jaguar and, more significantly, Mercedes right at the top of their game - winning then was going to be hard. You had the 3.5 daliance, when they might have done it, but Peugeot were utterly focused and in any case these are probably unrepresentative races. Then we have the late 1990s when I'd argue lack of race preparation and an underestimation of what BMW could do cost them in 1999, and since then we've not really had all that much from the big Japanese manufacturers.

All this said can anyone here honestly put their hand up and deny that (a) Toyota have over the years added richness to Le Mans and (b) would be enormously welcome back?

Me - I'd dance in the street if Mr Toyoda announced he was coming back.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 03:52 (Ref:2520575)   #60
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Me - I'd dance in the street if Mr Toyoda announced he was coming back.
You gotta make a movie of that then !!!

Me too , I disagree with G4J . Toyota had bad luck , but not all their doing .

Thomas Bsher screwed up the Katayama car & which was also brought in because of a suspected suspension flaw , because of the Boutsen crash .

Which turned out to be a bulldozer Team Estoril Porsche ..... Team Estoril screwed up the Boutsen car .....

I honestly think that if they had stayed their intended term ..... they would have won .

Toyota looked bombproof ..... and they were . But you cant plan for other peoples troubles either .

That car would have won the following year , in my opinion .

@ Isynge ..... Nissan had 7 cars there in 1990 .

2 x NPTI
2 x NME
1 x Nissan Japan
1 x Courage
1 x Team Le Mans ..... and they still couldnt do it !!!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 06:45 (Ref:2521166)   #61
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
I say let them come. Toyota deffinetly has unfinished bussiness at Le Mans and as a Toyota afficionado, I'd cheer them on !
even if its a hybrid or oil burner?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2521272)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX lover View Post
BMW M3 GT2?
Lord, please no.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
All sound promising... but I wouldn't bet much on any of them apart from the Vette IMO:

M3 - the ACO doesn't seem to like M3's...
Well, we can at least give them some credit for that!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2521470)   #63
The Badger
Veteran

WHAT ..... I would have love to see that BMW GT2 at Le Mans .
Old 14 Aug 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2521602)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post

Yep, parked outside the local supermarche having a trolley-full loaded into the boot.......
Old 14 Aug 2009, 23:06 (Ref:2521627)   #65
The Badger
Veteran

LOL ..... yaknow something . As much as I would like to see a full proto grid like in the Group C days , I reckon we will never see that again .

So we might as well have some quality GT cars out there . I know the BMW looks a little touring carish ..... but you have to admit that it is a quality car ..... unlike the TVR and a few others I could mention .

Oh ..... I dont reckon you would get too much in the boot of that thing either !!!
Old 15 Aug 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2521723)   #66
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just don't go there mate - if you looked back for many years you'll find long debates over what the M3 is. Anyone here with a long enough memory knows what I think it is..... And I don't want to see it at Le Mans, so the ACO and I are, for once, in accord.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2532553)   #67
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO reveals 2010 Le Mans rules, diesels get more weight, less air

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/08/23...eight-less-ai/
Old 1 Sep 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2532610)   #68
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Me also.

L.P.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2532997)   #69
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I am with Ayse on this one

A BMW M3 has it's place but not at Le mans for the main event, If BMW want to enter the race they should at least build a proper car and not just use the 3 series (family shopping car) and tart it up a bit.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2533028)   #70
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Just don't go there mate - if you looked back for many years you'll find long debates over what the M3 is. Anyone here with a long enough memory knows what I think it is..... And I don't want to see it at Le Mans, so the ACO and I are, for once, in accord.
What about Group 5....surely we can make the M3 an exception and let it race?
Old 2 Sep 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2533033)   #71
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Don't Agree - If they can make an M3 fully GT2 compliant then it should race.

If I had the dough for a road car of that ilk then the M3 would be on the potential shopping list alongside a 997 and the Vantage - They are competitors on the road and they should compete on track
Old 2 Sep 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2533105)   #72
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post

If I had the dough for a road car of that ilk then the M3 would be on the potential shopping list alongside a 997 and the Vantage - They are competitors on the road and they should compete on track
My mate's dad has an M3 estate, and he takes his dog everywhere in it. Any car which is directly related to that is not a sportscar "with a strong sporting ethos".

But, anyway, the exception should always be made with the M3.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2533121)   #73
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
So a BMW M5, Audi RS6 or AMG Mercedes doesn't have a "strong sporting ethos"?

Just because you have kids and a dog to accommodate doesn't mean you don't want a sportscar.

To say that because a range includes an estate negates a car's claim to be a sportscar - or more critically in this instance a GT car - is nonsense.

Was the BMW Z3M any less of a sportscar because it had a hatchback? How about the Skyline - several versions of that came as a four door saloon?
Old 2 Sep 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2533196)   #74
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
So we could look forward to a GT2 mini cooper, GT2 RS Ford Mondeo then.

We all know that the ACO have backbones of straw when pressure is applied from a major company and much money is promised. equalistion (spl?)formulas are created to keep everyone happy.

Ford, Hello is that the ACO?
ACO, Yes
Ford, Can we race our RS Mondeo at Le mans
ACO, No
Ford, suppose you jiggly the rules a bit and we pay for a new pit stand.
ACO, Maybe, let us think about it.
Ford, by the way can it be a hybrid?
ACO, Why did you not say so, of coarse you can race it, we will create a new class, Touring or specials extra rules

Aysedasi is right, lets not have it at Le mans, the FIA should change the touring car rules to allow the M3, S4, AMG C class battle it out where thier spritual home is.

Touring cars hayday was when the M3 or CSL battled it out against RS capri's', V8 Holdens and TWR Jags, much better than the 2 litre crash fests served up now.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2533204)   #75
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
I understand why the question is being asked but there is always going to be a point where the definition of what each of us regard as a GT car is blurred

Should it only be permitted to be be rear wheel drive? If so why?

Should it be rear, mid or front engined? Or is any format permissible?

Should it be a pure two seater, a 2 plus 2, or even a pure 4 seater

I still maintain that the M3 is a Grand Touring car - in the manner long accepted in endurance sportscar racing and with of historical precedent at Le Mans and elsewhere too. RS Capris and BMW CSLs amongst them!